venting about boss | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

venting about boss venting about boss

Unread 07-07-2009, 01:20 PM
venting about boss

My main manager thinks I should be back to work by now. I had my hysterectomy June 11 which will make it 4 weeks this Thursday and thinks I have been out long enough. So now I have to get a hold of the doctor's office and let them know that my job wants to know exactly what I had done and why I have to be out for 6 weeks. I can't even get disability from them since I am part time so what do they care. I am so MAD!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-07-2009, 02:09 PM
Re: venting about boss

Lady

Dont let your place of employment make you mad!! They dont understand and wont try to understand til something happens to them. Your doc can voucher for you to be out 6 weeks. Did you complete a FMLA? This is always a good back up too, cause your doc will complete what type of surgery you had and the amount of time you need off. Trust me you are not ready to return to work, I had a TAH on June 15th so you and I right in the same ball park of recovering and healing. I have 6-8 weeks off work, I am taking the complete 8 cause I need all of it, the most I am dealing with right now is tiredness, off and on which hits at anytime. I still have trouble sleeping at night so therefore my doc prescribed me medicine to help me sleep. It helps alot. One night I did not take the med and Lady I toss and turn all night, regretted that. I dont plan on taking the med for an extended time just to get my sleeping pattern back when I head back to the workplace in 4 weeks. Take Care of yourself and dont let people stress you about something they have not experienced and even if they did experienced it, their body is not your body and your body is not theirs. God will protect you. Hang tight.
Unread 07-07-2009, 02:11 PM

Hi Witchystitcher

I went to work part-time at four weeks, and I don't think I was quite ready. If your doctor has said you need more time, then returning before that could interfere with your recovery.

I don't think employers are allowed to ask for the information your manager has requested, but someone at your doctor's office should have an idea of how to handle this. Meanwhile, continue to follow the doctor's orders so you can heal well.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-07-2009, 02:34 PM

There is a privacy law called the HIPPA law that states employers cannot ask for that type of information. You are under no obligation to tell them even the type of surgery you had. If you have an HR dept get in touch with them about this or your managers supervisor if not.
Unread 07-07-2009, 02:41 PM

I agree with the sisters. Going back to work early will make things worse. Can your dr write you a note? My dr said 6-8 week recovery period at a minimum.
Unread 07-07-2009, 03:20 PM

I went back after 3 weeks because it is unpaid leave and I ended up having to call my parents to come and get me and help me get home. I had no energy, pain in odd places and could not stop crying and I LOVE my job! But I was just not ready to be back and the stress of it.

No they don't understand, be they female or male, if they have not had this, then they really don't know how major it is. FMLA is a good form to fill out and have your Dr. sign it at one of your post-op appointments. It just covers you if your fired for lack of performance or to much time off.
Unread 07-07-2009, 03:45 PM

My male manager compared me to a another male associate who had his appendix removed and was back in 3 days. Said they needed me back it has only been 3 weeks. My reply was wait until he has his testacles removed then lets see if he is back in 3 days. They are all idiots, but if it was them they would milk every second of it. Take your time get better.
Unread 07-07-2009, 04:55 PM

You have to push all the people aside that think they know what is best for you. Only you know that and that includes your employer. I know it pays the bills, but in the end you will be out a lot longer if you go back too early and damage something. I agree to go to your HR if you have one if not remind them of the HIPPA act. I actually quit my job when I found out about all I had and the surgery needed. I was only a server so it wasn't the end of the world, but I knew it would only cause me more stress. To hell with them all. LOL Take care of you!
Unread 07-08-2009, 08:11 AM

I know how you feel. I am back after six weeks and and whiney and tired and spotting. I work in the clinic where my doc is (on vacation) and everyone thinks they know how YOU should feel. I went home early on day 1 and was told "Are you serious?" MAD
Unread 07-08-2009, 08:25 AM

lgoldie - medical people can be the least supportive. They THINK they have seen it all so even some floor secretaries think they can diagnose. Sorry you have to experience this first hand. When they tell you how you are over reacting/too tired just tell them "isn't that special?" and walk away. If they can't engage you in defending yourself, they will tire of the game.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register