My surgery was awesome! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

My surgery was awesome! My surgery was awesome!

Unread 04-01-2011, 06:56 PM
My surgery was awesome!

Hi Ladies,
I wanted to post my story for those that are nervous. I cannot believe that I have wasted the last 4 months, stressing over this. My surgery went so good. The worst part was the bowel prep for me. I had just been getting over a cold, and I had some sinus issues in my chest. I was worried about coughing....
My surgery was Wednesday(2 days ago). I had been really sick from the bowel prep on Tuesday night and had no sleep. I vomited all night. I arrived at the hospital at 5am. The nurses were so understanding. They immediatly gave me nausia meds, some electrolites in an IV, and a breathing treatment, so I could breath better for the surgery. I was feeling totally refreshed and amazingly calm within 30 minutes. This really helped. I recommend asking for these things if you feel that you need them.
Soon I was nighty-night...don't even remember much after that. I woke up at 10am in recovery. The doc did the DiVinchi robot Hyster. on me. They took my uterus, tubes, 1 ovary, and some very large fibroids. I was feeling no pain, and even felt more rested than when I had arrived. Within 15 minutes they took me to a room in maternity. I got some morphine and took a much needed nap. They woke me up every hour to ask me if I needed more and what was my pain level. They gave me gas-x and a stool softener pill, and switched me to percocets. By 3pm ish, I was sitting up, cathatar out, have soup,going to the restroom and watching General Hospital on the TV!. I expected that to hurt, but it didn't, which was a relief.
At 6pm, my doc came in and said I could either stay or go home. I chose to go home. I was home in my bed by 10pm. Feeling great. I did wake to pee a few times, but had little to no pain.
Yesterday, I was starved. I ate normal food all day. I did continue with the gas-x , pain meds, and the stool softener on time. I think that setting my clock to get up to take them has been a good choice. My pain has never been over a 2. This morning I finally had a BM (day 3) WITH no pain at all.
Again, I need to stress, that i worked myself up too much. I feel so goofy for wasting time, being so worried. It was a great experience. The nurses really took good care of me. I feel really good. I expect to feel 100% pretty quickly. Thanks to all of you for the great info here....and good luck to those who are going next. I think if you feel positive going in, it can make all the difference in the world!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-01-2011, 07:41 PM
Re: My surgery was awesome!

vb3965,
Glad to hear that all went well and that you are feeling good. Just remember to take things easy for a little while. You’ve been through a lot and now that you feel better it’s easy to get over ambitious. Keep us posted on your recovery.
Unread 04-01-2011, 07:54 PM
Re: My surgery was awesome!

That sounds amazing. Thanks for sharing about getting yourself worked up. I sure did and it really wasn't as bad as all that. Although, we both had the RALH. It seems to have a shorter recovery time. Now on to recovery. Hope it goes as well.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register