Scheduled LAVH my biggest worry today | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

my biggest worry today my biggest worry today

Unread 08-15-2013, 03:04 PM
my biggest worry today

You are all probably going to think I'm nuts but I'm worried I won't he able to snuggle with my dogs while I'm recovering My bloodhound is 120 LBS and isn't a big snuggler but my 2 bassets are 70 lbs each and they always want to be on my lap. The youngest is a kicker and often gives me a kick to the side when he wants to reposition himself. My oldest is very calm and will just lay beside me or between my legs with his head resting on my tummy and he is actually a therapy dog so he is great with people who aren't feeling well. What do you think the worst case scenerio would he if I got kicked or one of them stepped on my tummy? I actually got my oldest basset to keep me company when I was stuck in a body cast for 6 months and he totally cheered me up with his love and endless snuggles. It will break my heart if I have to tell him no when he wants up on the couch with me. Anyone have any thoughts or experience dealing with big cuddly dogs post op?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-15-2013, 06:45 PM
Re: my biggest worry today

I don't have any big heavy pets but I do have a bunny who is in a large pen on the floor and I can't bend over to pick her up and snuggle with her. I want to so bad and she doesn't understand why I don't. Unfortunately we have to be careful and take care of ourselves first. I'm 6 days post op and I can tell you if I got kicked in the stomach or stepped on by a large dog I'd be in the ER!! It hurts even to get in and out of bed or get up from a chair/couch. Like it or not you'll have to make very sure your dogs don't accidentally injure you. Your dogs will get over it. They need you healthy so you can continue caring for them and loving them!
Unread 08-15-2013, 07:00 PM

Omg I feel the same my Bassett hounds are my loves I won't be able to pick them up they love to snuggle and keep me warm but I am afraid they will hurt me they like to step on me when they are trying to get close
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-15-2013, 07:35 PM

Hollybun that's exactly it, you can't explain to an animal WHY you can't give them snuggles!
Charm429 you know first hand how impossible it is to look into those big beautiful basset eyes and say no! With the exception of when I am overseas there hasn't been a day go by in 11 years I haven't put in some snuggle time with Eli. He is going to be as horrified as I am
Unread 08-15-2013, 09:05 PM

I know my babies always look sad anyway they will really be sad when I can't get snuggles with them
Unread 08-15-2013, 10:03 PM

I have two dogs that are lots smaller...but I have them jump into my lap from the footstool and they land hard!

I just made sure I had a big pillow on my lap when my dogs were visiting...and never had a problem...just be sure to have that pillow cushion in place and visit with your dogs...

Lee in northern California
Unread 08-15-2013, 10:11 PM

I don't have a pup myself but my mom brought her yorkie over one day when she came over to help me on monday. (I am 8 days post op today). Tootsie is a very sweet dog and loves my kids and of course is very attached to my mom. When mom brought her over she immediatly wanted beside me on the couch. She would not leave my side the whole time she was here just wanted to layby me or at myfeet. She would stand there and wine wanting me to pick her up. Mom put her beside me and she didnt move unless i got up. If i did she followed me around. She wouldnt even go to my mom when she called her. I think doggies know by instinct when we are not feeling well. Theyare sooo sweet and loving its hard not to respond to that love. I would just be very careful not to letthem on your lap. Maybe they will be happy laying beside u or at your feet. Best of luck and blessings to u. Hugs aunt sis daisy
Unread 08-15-2013, 11:02 PM

I say just have plenty of cushion to protect yourself and you should be fine. You may hav to remind them to move slow but I bet y'all will be ok. Nothing better than snuggles with your furry babies. But always hav pillows there to protect you. I had the procedure you're going to hav and l think with proper cushions it should be fine. Good luck
Unread 08-15-2013, 11:54 PM

That's why I got a recliner. Scored one from eBay for $8. Now I sit with my dog since I'm 4 weeks but I have a baby pillow that I put against my tummy.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register