gas and in what relation to shoulder pain? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

gas and in what relation to shoulder pain? gas and in what relation to shoulder pain?

Unread 02-28-2005, 08:44 PM
gas and in what relation to shoulder pain?

i, I could hv sworn I saw something in here about the gas situation and shoulder pain having somethingin common.............am I nuts, cuz I can't find anything now, but I had terrible gas bloat and pain the day home from the hospital and have also dealt with pain across the tops of my shoulder blades............did I dream this or get confused with something else? Thanks for clearing me on this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-28-2005, 09:05 PM

You were correct! When they perform a lap they blow gas into your abdominal cavity so they can see clearer. After they stitch you up the left over gas becomes trapped. It is left for your body to absorb which is painful. I had it trapped under my right rib and then it moved up to my right shoulder. In my opinion this was worse than the laparatomy. I did not have this as bad when I had my TAH. You're not crazy, there is logic behind this pain. I think it was 2 weeks before my gas pains left. Hang in there. I'm sure every woman can tell you that gas is an enemy in one way or another after surgery. Take care.
Tracy
Unread 02-28-2005, 09:14 PM

After all my laparoscopic surgeries I have had horrible gas pain - and pain that radiates into the right shoulder.

During laparoscopic surgery a hollow needle is inserted through the incision and gas (carbon dioxide or nitrous oxide) is slowly injected through the needle to inflate the abdomen. The gas creates a viewing space by lifting the abdominal wall away from the organs inside. After the procedure the scope is removed and the gas will be released. The gas used during the procedure can temporarily irritate your diaphragm and cause pain or achiness in the shoulder.

I was told to lay leaning towards my right side to help wiht the shoulder pain. Usually after a couple days my probem with the shoulder pain disappears.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-28-2005, 09:17 PM

hey kathy..im sort of new to this site..but there are a lot of posts about intestinal gas..and..im no doctor..but i had laproscopy surgery twice..both times the pain in my shoulders seemed worse then the pain in my abdomen..gas pain..now thats another pain altogether..that seemed to be the worse..even this time ..dreaded gas ..ughhh...i was told that my shoulders hurt because the gas that they use to i guess..blow up the area to see what to work on migrates upwards..i sure remember how it felt..this time though i had the tah with a spinal and general anesthetic ..and have had no pain like i had with the laps..with those..they told me to drink a lot alot of water and if i could find a helpful person to massage my shoulders..and use moist heat..(nice pillow case with about two pounds of rice..two minutes or so in the microwave is a real nice treat)..still it took time for all that gas to be absorbed or what ever it did..i feel for you..just know..in time it all will pass..
Unread 02-28-2005, 09:19 PM

thanks soooooooooooooo much-thought I was sleeping and dreamed THAT-but it was bugging me that I hadn't seen anymore on it from anyone since that one time and I have experienced it in the tummy REALLY bad, it has finally left that area..........thanks to GasX!!!! I will work this shoulder issue out with a good massage from DH, after all, he offered TLC, right? lol
Unread 03-01-2005, 07:28 AM

Once again, my sister have come through for me-this site is a lifeline for us girls pre and post op!!!!!!!!! I am so glad I found it!!! You girls rock and I only hope that I have been helpful to someone else in responses I have posted and know about in return!!!!!!!!!!!! Rock on, sisters!!!
Unread 03-09-2005, 07:14 AM
Gas and Shoulder Pain

I am DYING here! I am 5 days post-op and the hyst (LAVH) was nothing compared to the neck pain/migraines (which I have had since a teenager) that I have been having. Yesterday, it started in the left shoulder blade and kept me up all night. If if wouldn't be for my sister and her 18-yr old daughter having so many procedures/surgeries lately, I wouldn't even know about that "air" that stays in your body. Nobody in my experience even told me about it, and my last surgery was my c-section 9 years ago! I'm not excited to hear that it lasted 2 weeks for somebody, but at least I know it CAN be normal! I also have not had a BM yet. Tried stool softeners, raisins, oj. Can't swallow prunes or prune juice. Thanks for the site!
Unread 03-09-2005, 08:40 AM

I had lap surgery and the pain from the CO2 was WAY worse that the pain from the surgery.

It will definitely help your body to dissipate the gas if you walk, walk, walk. The more you move, the quicker the gas will absorb.
Unread 03-09-2005, 09:18 AM

I had a lap. surgery 11 years ago to remove a large ovarian cyst. I had the shoulder pain you describing. It helped me to walk through the house as much as I could and also to move my shoulders. I shrugged them and slowly raised my arms up (one at a time) and rotated them - like a really easy windmill exercise. That helped alot.
I hope you get to feeling better soon
Unread 03-09-2005, 02:53 PM

I had an abdominal hyst and experienced this shoulder pain on the 2nd day following surgery. The nurse explained that it was related to gas pain. Evidently is is not only after lap. procedures, although I did experience it with my lap. procedure several years ago. It's just temporary, thankfully!

It's been 4 weeks now and my biggest issue is my swelly belly and not sleeping through the night.

RJW

Complete hyst except left ovary 2/8/2005 - huge fibroid and serious damage to my other "plumbing" was repaired at the same time. I had parts where they didn't belong and organs attached to other organs. Youch!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register