Ablation vs. Hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ablation vs. Hysterectomy Ablation vs. Hysterectomy

Unread 06-22-2009, 02:34 PM
Ablation vs. Hysterectomy

Hi. I was searching the interent for information and advice and found your site. Yay! After about 2 years of "putting up" with my cycle (might be better to say non-cycle) i went to my ob/gyn to get some answers. All I got was confused! I had my tubes tied in Sept of 93, after my last child and had smooth sailing for about 13 years. Since then, i have had horrible cramping, clotting and bleeding. Dontcha hate having to stand up after sitting for an hour or so??? After both a traditional and vaginal ultrasound to scope out the landscape, hehe, I was told I have cycts on both ovaries, my uterus is 10cm and I have adenomyosis. He recommemed a Novasure ablation but I have asked him to consider a hysterectomy instead. If anyone else has been in my shoes, some advice sure would be appreciated!! Some sites say the EA doesnt work well with adenomyosis and some say it does. Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-22-2009, 06:00 PM
Re: Ablation vs. Hysterectomy

I also have adenomyosis (and fibroids). I had horrible bleeding, passing clots the size of golf balls, and cramps that were like labor. I had an ablation in January '06 and it did help a lot - for about a year. Then ever so slowly, each period I had would be a bit heavier and I'd have a bit more cramping. I'm not nearly to where I was then, but now I'm having other symptoms. Fatigue constantly, urinary urgency, bad constipation, painful sex. So I'm having an LAVH on 7/3.

If you look closely, many, many of the sisters here who are having or had a hysterectomy, had an ablation in the past - most within 2 years. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but all I really think it does is buys time. Depending on your life situation, buying time might be a good thing. My gyn at the time of my ablation told me that if you're close enough to menopause, it might work until 'nature took over' - of course you don't know the timing on that.

For me personally, if I'd have known it would only work for a year with my life situation now vs. then, I would have had the LAVH then rather than now. But of course, hindsight would always be good.

Like everyone here says, the decision can only be yours. The ablation is non-invasive, quick (relative) and the recovery is very fast. I've also been told that most insurance companies won't pay for a more extensive procedure until you have at least tried a less invasive one??? My doctor in '06 didn't even want to do the ablation - she wanted me to get a Mirena IUD and I said no way - give me the next option. She wouldn't even consider the 'H' word then.
Unread 06-22-2009, 06:14 PM

I I had the Novasure procedure done the Spring of 2006. Everything was fine until last fall when my cramps and pain were back. I do not have a lot of bleeding but have all the other symptoms so my doctor and I decided that a vaginal hysterectomy.
My doctor told me that we had to do all that we could before we took this step so August 19 will be my date. I do not regret having the ablation done but glad that I will finally have some peace.
I am very nervous about my surgery. I had a breast reduction in 2007, was out for at least 4 hours, and had about six weeks of recovery so I know what to except but I guess I am anxious for it to be over…….
Good Luck....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-23-2009, 05:20 AM

My doctor gave me the option, but told me that the cure rate of Ablation was only 40% chance. He offered me the hysterectomy right away, which really took me 2 years to decide to agree upon.
But now I've done it, and I have absolutely NO REGRETS !!!
Unread 06-23-2009, 10:21 AM

Thanks so much for your quick replies. I heard from my doctor again this morning, and he agrees that since my adenomyosis is as bad as it is that my uterus is enlarged to the degree it is on top of the cycts and anemia, that a hysterectomy is a better option. He recommended the EA because I was so hesitant at first to even discuss a hyster. I am waiting on the scheduler to call now. i love all the information and advice i am finding here. What a wonderful site. Thanks
Unread 06-24-2009, 09:56 AM

I had the NovaSure in June '07. It felt great for awhile and then in April '08 I developed a fever, cramped bad and ended up in the doctors office. I was now in another state and with another doctor. The OBGyn wasn't a fan of the ablation due to the percentage of hysterectomies still needed a couple years down the road. As one HysterSister put it, "it buys time." After the NovaSure, my uterus prolapsed and I developed scar tissue and a mass from the procedure. I had a TLH BSO on June 10, 2009 and wish now that I had opted for that in the first place.
Unread 06-24-2009, 10:06 AM

The ablation was one of the options I was offered as well. But when I went home and read all of my literature and starting doing research, I wasn't happy with a procedure that gave me 80% (yes that was what I was given) over 100%. I was told that with the ablation I might have to have another option within 3 - 5 years, and I decided that wasn't an option. I made the decision to have the hysterectomy and I feel this was the best decision for me! I hope all goes well for you!!!!
Unread 06-24-2009, 10:29 AM

I had an attempted ablation in Jan. at that time my uterus was perforated. Had to let it heal and then attempt again. We used provera and several bc pills to try & stop my bleeding.

Nothing worked. Ins finally caved and approved a lupron inj. It stopped the bleeding for 20 days vs. 90 days.

I was scheduled for another ablation June 19th. Lo and behold, I had a strep B inf. She and I talked about what to do and decided a TAH was in my best interest. Esp with nothing else really working to stop the bleeding, she feared the ablation wouldn't be effective and I'd be facing a hysterectomy anyway.

I am so ready for the horrible periods and non-stop bleeding and cramping to be gone forever. I'm looking forward to it!

HTH, big hugs!
Unread 06-24-2009, 03:11 PM

Thanks so much for being here!! I love this site. I am scheduled for my TLH with BSO on the 7th of July so now i just have to hurry up and wait. I am really upbeat and positive about the surgery. The only little thing worrying me is my dr says if my uterus is too big (10cm) they may have to change direction and do a TAH instead. Here is hoping not!!
Unread 07-06-2009, 11:57 PM

Hi micheleinla,

I asked the same thing on another newer thread in this section. Did you read the responses I got? Sounds about the same…Ablation not being very effective for Adenomyosis...Hope all goes well for you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register