LSH Massive Post-Op Complications | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Massive Post-Op Complications Massive Post-Op Complications

Unread 07-29-2012, 05:39 PM
Massive Post-Op Complications

I will make this short cause it is hard to focus for too long, but after my laparascopic supracervical hysterectomy, I crashed. After my blood pressure bottomed out, I had a second surgery where they repaired a bleeder and removed 4 liters of blood in my stomach cavity. When they sent me home, my blood volume was finally stable but half of what it was when I went in. I am barely functioning. I need someone with a similar experience to answer question Google just doesn't understand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-29-2012, 05:52 PM
Re: Massive Post-Op Complications

I'm so sorry you're dealing with complications. Did the doc ever suggest you receiving some blood?
Unread 07-29-2012, 06:00 PM

I received 5 units of blood, which brought me up as high as I was when I left.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-29-2012, 06:11 PM

I had the same thing except they gave me a transfusion as soon as they realized I had a bleeder and it stopped on its own they toyed with going in to drain pooled blood but I really didn't want to have a second surgury.... So they agreed but warned me my recovery would be slower and the blood floating around would cause me extra pain as it irritates EVERYTHING I'm 12 days post op and starting to feel better but still lots of pain tiredness ECt
Unread 07-29-2012, 11:54 PM

My story was similar so my goes out to you!

Two days after surgery, I woke up with a huge bulge on my right hip that my doctor said was internal bleeding when he came in to release me. Needless to say, I didn't get to go home then and not until day 10.

I didn't require more surgery as my surgeon felt the bleeding had stopped on its own, and he wanted my body to reabsorb the blood on its own. I was given 2 pints of blood to bring my hemoglobin up from 7 to 11, but normal for me was around 14. Instead of my blood pressure dropping, it skyrocketed along with my pulse, putting me at risk for a heart attack. I was also blacking out just about every time I stood up even after the transfusion.

I was exhausted and very weak from the loss of blood and my body basically crashing from all that was going on. It did make my recovery a very lengthy one.

If you have specific questions, definitely post them and we will see if we can help based on our own experiences. You should also check with your surgeon.

in there!
Unread 07-30-2012, 12:16 PM

I appreciate the responses and knowing I'm not alone. I'm having a hard time focusing and thinking clearly, and all I can do is SLEEP. My main questions are:

1) Why can't I focus?
2) when will I get sone of my energy back?
3) how long does it take a body to replace a loss in blood supply?

I'm wanting (needing) to go back to work soon. I don't see that happening at this point. In hoping there is a time when recovery starts happening at a faster pace. I'm just so impatient. I have 5 kids, and I just need to be at 100%.
Unread 07-30-2012, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodsclass View Post
1) Why can't I focus?
The anemia probably.

Quote:
2) when will I get sone of my energy back?
For me, it was months later. I wasn't even up to par at 6 months when my GYN finally released me.

Quote:
3) how long does it take a body to replace a loss in blood supply?
Again, it took several weeks and contributed to my total fatigue. Does your doctor have you taking iron and/or eating foods rich in iron?

Quote:
I'm wanting (needing) to go back to work soon. I don't see that happening at this point.
I did not work out of the home but it would have been at least 3 months before my doctor would have even considered releasing me based on my symptoms. I doubt I could have worked full time at that point even if I could have tried to work. Talk to your doctor about your situation and what options you have to possibly feel better sooner i.e. should you get more blood or if you can qualify for short term disability because of your complications.

I know having complications is not what we planned and the longer recovery is the pits. I don't know what we would have done without my MIL or if I had had to work.

in there and know that though it will take longer, one day you will be able to make it through the day without !

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register