Gas pains are killing me | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Gas pains are killing me Gas pains are killing me

Unread 08-09-2009, 09:01 PM
Gas pains are killing me

Ok the gas pains are killing me. Resorting to Gas-X. Has anyone else had this problem where you feel like your insides are being turned out and there is nothing to aleviate the pressure and pain??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-09-2009, 11:08 PM
Gas pains are killing me

Poor Limerickey

YES we've all been through this - my solution was walking, walking, walking and more walking - laps of the yard, and gallons of peppermint tea.

Good luck!

meet8
TAH 27 July
Unread 08-10-2009, 09:32 AM
Re: Gas pains are killing me

How long do the gas pains last anyway? My TAH was 7/22 and I'm STILL having issues w/the worst gas pains I've ever had in my life. I've been pretty active around the house. No longs walks in the neighborhood because it's either been 102 degrees or raining since my surgery I've tried the Gas-X before bed, but it didn't seem to make any difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-10-2009, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Glass View Post
How long do the gas pains last anyway? My TAH was 7/22 and I'm STILL having issues w/the worst gas pains I've ever had in my life. I've been pretty active around the house. No longs walks in the neighborhood because it's either been 102 degrees or raining since my surgery I've tried the Gas-X before bed, but it didn't seem to make any difference.
I'm one day ahead of you and I still have it too but not as bad as right after surgery. I also haven't been able to tell if the Gas-x is working but I use it anyway. I've come to love the peppermint tea though. It helps with gas and tastes surprisingly good. I stick a cup of water and teabag in the microwave for a min and a half and then let it rest for a couple min's. I then pour it into a glass, add sweetener and a bunch of ice. It's quite refreshing on these hot days.
Unread 08-10-2009, 09:54 AM

I'll have to give the tea a try. I'd forgotten all about peppermint tea as a remedy for gas. I have found myself craving peppermint candy more in the last week than I normally do. Wonder if my body is trying to tell me something. Unfortunately, the candy doesn't seem to do any good. LOL
Unread 08-10-2009, 10:15 AM

My TAH was 7/10 and gas has let up a lot, but some things still set me off. The mint tea is the best solution I found. I'm using a pure organic mint tea now, and drink it daily.
Unread 08-10-2009, 01:19 PM

I have had my TAH on 7/30 and gas pains have subsided few days ago. Doc told me to stay away from carbonated drinks and anything that gives you gas (beans, brocoli etc)... I watch my diet and stick to water, water and water and walk a bit more. It has done wonders. I also take stool softners every day, they were given to me by my doc. That might be helping me a bit. I hope you get to feel a bit better really soon!
Unread 08-10-2009, 04:08 PM

Hi Girls

I was reading about the actual TAH operation yesterday, and they actually pack your small intestine out of the way while they do the operation. Then they put it all back in the body cavity when they're done and make sure it's ok, but then it has to resort itself out to the easiest place to work in there. No wonder we have such trouble with it!

For the first few days post op I had one large lump to the left of my navel. When I asked the doctor what it was, she said it was just a bowel loop. I remarked to one of the nurses that maybe they take your bowel out and then put it back in when they're done, but she didn't comment. Now I find out that that is almost what they do!

The lump has since gone down, and it's all working, albeit a little slowly as I'm not too active yet, and still get pains with gas and BMs, sometimes bad, sometimes mild. But after reading about this, my goodness, the poor thing, it's no wonder it's grumbling!
Unread 08-10-2009, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meet8 View Post
Hi Girls

For the first few days post op I had one large lump to the left of my navel. When I asked the doctor what it was, she said it was just a bowel loop. I remarked to one of the nurses that maybe they take your bowel out and then put it back in when they're done, but she didn't comment. Now I find out that that is almost what they do!

The lump has since gone down, and it's all working, albeit a little slowly as I'm not too active yet, and still get pains with gas and BMs, sometimes bad, sometimes mild. But after reading about this, my goodness, the poor thing, it's no wonder it's grumbling!
I have that lump too on the left side of my belly button. I even asked the dr. if it might be a hernia and he said he didn't think so. I hope you're right and that it goes down. By the way, where did you read about the procedure? I was afraid to know too much before the surgery but now I'm really interested.
Unread 08-10-2009, 05:40 PM

Yes, I had gas so bad I thought I had a knife inside me. I have a slow metabolism and I ate too much too fast, encouraged by a well meaning nurse. My doctor told me this happens all the time, he told me not to eat if I wasn't hungry but the nurse told me I should. He explained to me that after surgery the bowel shuts down, that's why they put you on a liquid diet first and ease you into solid food. The rule of thumb is to eat when you feel hungry. I don't know if it would have made a difference, but the gas pain took about a week to go away.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register