liquid diet before hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

liquid diet before hysterectomy liquid diet before hysterectomy

Unread 09-30-2014, 08:32 AM
liquid diet before hysterectomy

Okay, my surgery is scheduled for Nov. 12 and I just received my pre-op instructions. My surgery is scheduled for 8 am, but do I have to do the clear, liquid diet for the WHOLE day before? I have to do my blood work that day too. Ugh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-30-2014, 09:04 AM
Re: liquid diet

If the directions say to then, yes, you need to do it the whole day. Every doctor is different but they do that for a couple different reasons. If they nick the bowel they don't want feces coming out. Also after the procedure it is much better if you aren't trying to throw up chunky stuff rather than liquid. This procedure basically stops your bowels and stomach so nothing wants to digest right which means sometimes stuff comes up...Also typically taking a bowel movement after the procedure isn't the funnest thing in the world. Having less solids and more clear liquids is always a winner in my opinion lol
Unread 09-30-2014, 09:12 AM

It's not too specific, that is why I ask. And not very specific on meds to continue or discontinue either, except NSAIDs. Curious about my gummy multivitamins and calcium and allergy meds. I know I take my asthma meds and Zoloft. Yeah, I'll do it but not looking forward to it. Hahaha. Also the magnesium drink at 4 the night before and an enema before bed. Fun fun! I think I'll need my hubby to help with that, lol. Yeah, it was about 5 days after both my kids before I had one and it was super scary, though it wasn't as bad the 2nd time around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-30-2014, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthur79 View Post
It's not too specific, that is why I ask. And not very specific on meds to continue or discontinue either, except NSAIDs. Curious about my gummy multivitamins and calcium and allergy meds. I know I take my asthma meds and Zoloft. Yeah, I'll do it but not looking forward to it. Hahaha. Also the magnesium drink at 4 the night before and an enema before bed. Fun fun! I think I'll need my hubby to help with that, lol. Yeah, it was about 5 days after both my kids before I had one and it was super scary, though it wasn't as bad the 2nd time around.
Oh, if you are doing a bowel prep, it will be much easier it you do the liquid diet the whole day. In fact, I decided to start on liquid diet the day before the bowel prep in order to make it easier and I think it helped. Read your instructions, but you can probably have jello, broth, popsicles, etc. It is really not that bad. I did not have to do an enema, so I'm no help with that. Are they going to call you again before your surgery with further instructions about meds? When I got my instructions, they listed every single med that I take (you told them all your meds, right?) and next to it when/if I should take it. I am pretty sure that they will want you to take all of your allergy/asthma meds. Ha ha, they told me to use my nebulizer and my rescue inhaler before coming in. Anesthesia isn't so great for the lungs, so here's a tip if you haven't already thought of it: have your asthma dr prescribe some steroids to keep at home in case your asthma flares up before you can drive. Mine flared up, and I cough uncontrollably, which is not the best thing ever when you have an abdominal incision, I tried calling my dr, and I just got another dr who kept telling me to go to urgent care. Luckily I had some steroids at home, so I just dosed myself. When I saw my allergist a few weeks later she told me that if I ever needed another surgery to call her first and she would give me some to have on hand. Be sure not to take anything that they did not specifically tell you to take, because they could cancel your surgery if it won't have a good interaction with the anesthesia.
Unread 09-30-2014, 01:01 PM
liquid diet before hysterectomy

I didn't have to do that but had to do fleet before bed and the morning of surgery and all was well.
Unread 09-30-2014, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavisiaKatu View Post
Also after the procedure it is much better if you aren't trying to throw up chunky stuff rather than liquid.
Eeewww! LOL! I hope I'm not trying to throw up anything! I still have a tendency to pee my pants when I throw up....although I guess I'll have a catheter at that point, right?
Unread 09-30-2014, 01:24 PM
Re: liquid diet before hysterectomy

My surgery isn't scheduled until Nov. 12th but my pre-op, where I bring in all meds list and all that is the day before at noon...not much time to tell me what to take and what not to take! Just got a paper that said no NSAIDs for a week or two before. Oh, I hate steroids, but I was planning on taking my pro-air and advair everyday for a good month before hand! And Zantac or something since I have a history of heartburn, acid reflux but clear my throat a lot still. Oh, I'm getting so scared. Yeah, so clear diet, mag at 4 then enema at 7 or 8. Didn't mention taking other in AM. I have to be there at 6:30 though.
Unread 09-30-2014, 01:59 PM

Quote:
My surgery isn't scheduled until Nov. 12th but my pre-op, where I bring in all meds list and all that is the day before at noon...not much time to tell me what to take and what not to take! Just got a paper that said no NSAIDs for a week or two before. Oh, I hate steroids, but I was planning on taking my pro-air and advair everyday for a good month before hand! And Zantac or something since I have a history of heartburn, acid reflux but clear my throat a lot still. Oh, I'm getting so scared. Yeah, so clear diet, mag at 4 then enema at 7 or 8. Didn't mention taking other in AM. I have to be there at 6:30 though.
Don't be scared! I hate steroids too. My flare wasn't awful, but I was really afraid of it getting worse because I was afraid that I might open an incision or something coughing. I just took a small dose 25mg to keep it from getting worse and it was fine after about 3 days. No worries if you're prepared. And yes, be sure to take your maintenance meds faithfully before the surgery. I normally take Flovent most of the time, and advair in the fall and if I flare up. I switched to advair before the surgery but think I should have done it earlier. Honestly I worried so much and things went so smoothly that I was sorry I wasted so much time worrying!
Unread 09-30-2014, 02:07 PM

Easier said than done, lol. And I AM a worrier. With plenty of time to worry. hahaha
Unread 09-30-2014, 05:36 PM

Quote:
It's not too specific, that is why I ask.
Here is an article that might help: Liquid Diet | What Can I Eat...?

Quote:
And not very specific on meds to continue or discontinue either, except NSAIDs. Curious about my gummy multivitamins and calcium and allergy meds. I know I take my asthma meds and Zoloft.
Call your surgeon and give them a list of the meds and supplements you take and ask which ones are okay. For my last surgery, I wasn't even allowed to take a multi-vitamin.

S

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register