Upcoming hysterectomy 12/21: What to expect after my TVH? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 12/21: What to expect after my TVH? Upcoming hysterectomy 12/21: What to expect after my TVH?

Unread 12-10-2016, 12:39 AM
Upcoming hysterectomy 12/21: What to expect after my TVH?

Just wondering if my tummy is going to be swollen after my total vaginal hysterectomy? Will a heating pad feel good after I get home? and maybe a control panty, too? And how am I to deal with the catheter? Can I sit in a sitz bath with a catheter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-10-2016, 08:15 AM
Re: What to expect after my TVH?

Today is day 12 for me after my tvh. I am lucky to be having an uneventful recovery so far!! Every day seems to bring new little issues but nothing major at all. I have had the weekly belly on and off. In the morning it is not there at all but by the end of the day I am fluffy again!! Lol My heating pad is my new best friend, helps keep the gas pains to a minimum too! I have worn my regular underwear since surgery and find no issues with support. I woke up with no catheter in recovery and not sure about that aspect at all. Personally I was told by my doctor no baths for 6 weeks what so ever. With this surgery we don't experience those horrible gas pains others are having with the laparoscopy. Had them with a prior surgery and they are horrible!! Still have natural gas issues but I do take gas x if they get bad. Drink lots of water and high fiber foods are a must to keep everything moving!! I started eating two prunes a day before my surgery and had my first BM the day after surgery! Constipation was my worst fear! The anticipation is the worst, now that is over I can say I wish I would have done this sooner! Best of luck to you and hoping you have a speedy recovery ;-)
Unread 12-10-2016, 08:43 AM

Your post is so helpful to me as I prepare for my TVH! Thank you so so much for responding! Glad to know the heating pad has been a best friend to you for gas and that with the TVH gas was not the issue as others have had with laparoscopy! Your experience about "weekly belly" is very helpful also! I will keep gas X on hand for sure! Will continue our very high fiber diet :-) but will add prunes. Thinking back to a long ago surgery, control-type panties felt so good and allowed me to move more comfortably afterwards. Do you think tight panties or control-type panties would be a problem if I do have the expected catheter in place when I leave the hospital? Did your doctor encourage sitz baths for you, even with "no baths?" Mine highly recommends sitz baths with epsom salt and this sounds like it will feel so good. Remembering after baby #2 how good that sitz bath felt to the episiotomy and for getting some of the gas out!!! Thank you again for such a helpful, informative post! Can it be possible that I'm actually a bit excited to have my TVH before Christmas and get this prolapse issue resolved and move on to feeling better?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-10-2016, 08:47 AM

I had a TVH and personally had no swelling but some do. I only had a catheter in the hospital. Baths weren't allowed for 6 weeks. My pain was like cramps, but not severe. Aleve took the pain away, so I never considered a heating pad. I didn't wear a binder or control garment but some do choose to do that. I had no vaginal pain whatsoever. Personally I expected more pain, both abdominal and vaginal, so I was pleasantly surprised to have a different experience. Some ladies do have a different experience but it's a wait and see thing, I hope you have an uneventful recovery.
Unread 12-10-2016, 09:18 AM

Greyown, thank you for sharing your experience! So very helpful! I had not thought of Aleve for pain afterwards. Great idea! I think I've about figured out that it's good to take a little prescribed pain meds as possible, since they often lead to constipation! I'm praying for the "uneventful" recovery. Hoping for less pain than expected, like you, but I'll keep in mind that even with pain, things will improve as the post op days pass! Thank you so much for your response! Hystersisters are so amazingly helpful!!!
Unread 12-10-2016, 10:10 AM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 12/21: What to expect after my TVH?

(((ashleyalyce)))

Whilst you're waiting for further replies, please be sure to visit your dedicated surgery category in Our Hysterectomy Stories forum where you'll find thousands of detailed recovery experiences.

We're sending best wishes and positive thoughts!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register