Symptoms of medical menopause after partial??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Symptoms of medical menopause after partial??? Symptoms of medical menopause after partial???

Unread 06-25-2012, 10:01 AM
Symptoms of medical menopause after partial???

I am having a partial hysterectomy on Wed. I am ready to go, pre op done, prescriptions filled, etc. but all of the sudden I wondered what the symptoms would be if my ovaries freak out after surgery and throw me into medical menopause.
It sounds to me like it can happen and they eventually recover and start working again after a few months. Am I right? Also what are the symptoms of my ovaries taking a little vacation after the surgery? Thanks in advance ladies. I guess I am trying to keep busy and my brain has officially gone into freak out mode.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-25-2012, 12:23 PM
Re: Symptoms of medical menopause after partial???

I'm 47 and I had a TAH 6 weeks ago, but kept both ovaries. I found that for a couple of days after surgery, I had a few brief hot flashes. It happened maybe half a dozen times or so, and they stopped completely after those first few days. It wasn't alarming, since I knew to expect that could happen.

What my doctor told me was that surgery is a bit of a shock to your system. She said I could expect to be constipated for awhile (and I was), because the digestive system is a little shocked. She said I could expect to have some fluctuating emotions. She also said I could expect some menopausal symptoms--such as hot flashes--but that they wouldn't last too long before everything gets back on an even keel.

I don't know if the symptoms can be more severe than mine were, but they were really nothing to worry about, and they passed quickly.

I wish you the best of luck for a good surgery and a smooth recovery!
Unread 06-25-2012, 05:02 PM

Im one month out of an lsh so i kept my ovaries. The first few days were great hormonally. In the past couple weeks i have had several night sweats....some crying spells....a couple wicked mood changes...and im geerallg hot all the time
Doctor said at my last post op that this is normal. I am keeping a symptom journal now that she wants to see in one month and we will go from there.
I have had a definite improvement in the hot flashes and mood issues in the past week so i ( and my poor hubby) are hoping my ovaries are waking up

All the very best to you!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-25-2012, 11:16 PM

I am 11 weeks post op kept both ovaries. I am not sure if my ovaries took a little vacation or if it was the trauma of the surgery along with anesthesia after effects and pain meds, which I was on for several weeks. IO had a few menopause type symptoms though for a while.
I had several weeks of hot flashes and the chills on and off occasionally. I had several weeks of crying jags with a few anger fits mixed in. I had a few weeks of severe insomnia. My breasts were a bit sore about the end of week 1 too.This all passed and I am perfectly fine now ( at least as fine as I was pre op mentally).I talked to my doctor about all this at my 6 week post op and she told me I was probably going through menopause, she didn't buy the temporary shut down theory for me. I think she was wrong, because none of those symptoms have continued. ( I'm 48).
:cathugs:
Unread 06-26-2012, 06:11 AM

I'm 47 & had a TAH/RSO and while I was in the hospital, I felt a little warmer than usual, but had no fever. I thought maybe the room was a little too warm though, because I felt better when they turned the AC down. I don't know if it was a hot flash or not, lol.

I've had some crying sessions but not many and they don't last long.

The weird thing is that I was having night sweats before my surgery, but haven't had any since, and I'm not complaining, lol.

Even if you keep your ovaries you can still have some menopause symptoms since the ovaries are in shock from the surgery and need to come back to life. How long that takes can vary. Also, some women have no issues at all or very mild symptoms.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register