TAH 8 days post hysterectomy: Full return to physical strength possible? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

8 days post hysterectomy: Full return to physical strength possible? 8 days post hysterectomy: Full return to physical strength possible?

Unread 07-17-2017, 11:07 PM
8 days post hysterectomy: Full return to physical strength possible?

Hi, any likeminded women had a TAH and returned to things like surfboat rowing, weight circuits, running etc, gym activities?
I am 8 days post op, and planning on being very restful for next 5 weeks til seeing surgeon again... is return to FULL and more... activities achievable... 51, fit, working... surgery went smoothly, recovery going very well..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-18-2017, 07:37 AM
Re: 8 days post hysterectomy: Full return to physical strength possible?

My surgery wasn't TAH but LAVH, 40 years old at the time of surgery May of 2016, 41 years old now. I have to say I'm more active now than I was before surgery. Before surgery I was active but mostly limited myself to elliptical workouts. Since surgery I have added in weights and running and am feeling great!
Unread 07-18-2017, 07:37 AM

Yes, definitely, but it will take time. I was released from some restrictions at four weeks, but not cleared to lift more than 30 lbs and do abdominal exercise until six weeks. Then I had to start off cautiously and work up gradually. Do *not* expect to start off at the same levels you were before surgery. You're going to need to work back up to those over the course of weeks/months. But unless you had extra repair work done (prolapse, retrocele, etc), then there's no reason that you can't get it all back. :-)

In the meantime, walk, walk, walk. Walk as much as your body is comfortable with. Short, frequent walks are better than one overly-long one. I was walking six miles a day on hilly trails by four weeks and definitely feel that this helped me eventually get back to normal.

PS I was 55 at the time I had surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-18-2017, 12:48 PM

I had surgery at 58, and was able to get completely back to my work outs and active life. It's not necessary to rest all of the time for the first weeks. Walking will help you heal, help you regain your strength and stamina so that you will be ready to go when you are released by the dr. I walked a ton during my recovery, and had a fairly active recovery while still following drs orders. When I was released for full activity, I started my workouts at a lower lever, but with the same frequency and amount of time. Before long, I was back to normal, but I think if I hadn't been active during recovery, it would have taken much longer.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register