Elevated CA-125 count? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Elevated CA-125 count? Elevated CA-125 count?

Unread 04-05-2014, 09:04 AM
Elevated CA-125 count?

I have an elevated count of 50 (34-35 is the norm) I am premenopausal , early 40s, and previously had an ablation for heavy periods-even had a d &c before that to help with periods-no more period after ablation so I do not know when my body is ovulating, etc-my ct scan of abdomen & pelvis, colonoscopy, vaginal ultrasound, pelvic exam- all normal. Mother, aunt and (we think) grandmother all had breast cancer- no one has had ovarian cancer- I was tested for Brca 1-2 and was negative. Dr recommended a hysterctomy with ovaries removed, laparoscopy or wait and see. I do not want to be too proactive yet do not want ignore a possible warning sign- any advice is greatly appreciated! I am stressed and panicked!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2014, 01:42 PM
Re: Elevated CA-125 count?

The unknown can definitely be a scary thing! Given a family history of cancer... even though not ovarian... is even more cause for concern

It sounds like your healthcare team is really doing a great job in running the correct tests to monitor you... very thorough! Typically, an elevated CA-125 of 65 and higher is linked to malignant tumors (your number was lower)..... but, without a known mass or tumor, even THAT does not demonstrate evidence of cancer. In addition, many other issues in the body can elevate a CA-125 result: benign fibroid tumors, endometriosis, pancreatitis... even liver disease. And when someone has a known malignant mass.... this blood test is used to monitor growth and/or effectiveness of treatment, depending on the circumstances.

The bottom line is that they won't really know, until they get in there. Having your ovaries removed is a difficult decision to make. I understand your hesitation in being too proactive, because loss of ovarian function is not a walk in the park.... as many would believe.... especially if there will be no hormone replacement therapy afterwards in the event of suspected cancer.

Even though it would be a major hassle.... you COULD have the ovaries left in.... assuming they look healthy to the naked eye.... and biopsied. If tests came back that there were cancer cells, they would have to make another trip back in. With today's scope technology, that might not be too bad.

Sounds like you are being very smart in weighing all your options and that you have a good healthcare team on your side. I believe you will have your answers once more info is obtained during the procedure. May you find some peace of mind in the meantime.

((HUGS))
Deb

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register