Vaginal proceedure - Do I need a belly band? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Vaginal proceedure - Do I need a belly band? Vaginal proceedure - Do I need a belly band?

Unread 08-07-2008, 10:38 PM
Vaginal proceedure - Do I need a belly band?

My procedure will be done vaginally, and I have some questions...

I have read through 5 pages of advice from others, and I have learned so much, but I am wondering about a few things.

Will I need a swelly belly band even though I wont have an external wound?

Do most women who have the procedure done vaginally need to be shaved? My Dr hasn't mentioned it to me, only to do an enema.

I am doing weight watchers right now - will the surgery cause me to lose weight (less stuff in me) and is it safe to still eat light?

Is it safe to go upstairs and down? My bedroom is downstairs, but the rest of the house is up.

What does it feel like without a cervix? I know that seems like a stupid question, but I am curious.

I want to say that I am only asking for your opinions, and I realize that we are not medical professionals.

I am learning so much from this site. When I first found out about my needing this surgery, I googled hysterectomy and the images. WOOAH! That was scary - so I am so glad I found you folks! Thank you for being here, I feel so much more in control~

I can't wait to pack!

Thanks so much,

Glenda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-07-2008, 10:52 PM

heya Glenda, and WELCOME! Great to have you here. Will try to answer your questions...

Will I need a swelly belly band even though I wont have an external wound?

You will still have swelly belly and the SBB will help.

Do most women who have the procedure done vaginally need to be shaved? My Dr hasn't mentioned it to me, only to do an enema.

I shaved myself the night before as I have been shaving since I was 18 or 19 in that area. Ask your doctor. I have read that some say not to. I forgot to ask, but they did do the surgery. But again, ask your doctor.

I am doing weight watchers right now - will the surgery cause me to lose weight (less stuff in me) and is it safe to still eat light?

Post op you will probably have about 5 extra pounds. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to stay on the Weight Watchers program. Everyone's appetite is different post-op, with a lot not having much of an appetite all. Some women lose weight post-op, some gain weight, it all depends on the person.

ETA: That five pounds for me went away in a week.

Is it safe to go upstairs and down? My bedroom is downstairs, but the rest of the house is up.

We have a three level house, so I had no choice about doing the stairs!

What does it feel like without a cervix? I know that seems like a stupid question, but I am curious.

No different until you have intercourse and even some women don't notice a difference. I felt like my ginny was shaped differently the first couple times having sex post-op. The third time it hasn't felt much different prior to the surgery.

Hope I was somewhat helpful!

Hugs
Jess
XOXOX
Unread 08-08-2008, 08:14 AM

Be careful about shaving - do ask! Some hospitals will cancel your surgery if you come in and have shaved yourself. They are trying to prevent infection in the little nicks and cuts.

If they shave me, I'm really hoping they do it while I'm knocked out. I'd be so embarassed to be sitting there awake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-08-2008, 09:55 AM

Glenda:
Welcome to Hystersisters! No question is too much for us to answer! I had TVH and did not shave. Neither did my doc. I kept the hair short because of all of the bleeding. I didn't us a swelly belly band, but have been told that could work. Also using a control top part of a panty hose is good also. As for the stairs, I would ask my doc. And I a still under the 6 week no sex, so can't answer for the cervix question! Good luck!
Unread 08-08-2008, 11:36 AM

Thanks for the advise sisters...

I am sooooo not worried about sex right now! LOL
I am happily single and no time for a boyfriend. I am just truly wondering about how it will look down there, how my body will feel with out a cervix? I guess I imagine it to be like the front door of a house, so without it, what will I be? Do they sew it shut somewhere inside?

Soo many questions, and I still have 2 weeks to wait!

Glenda
Unread 08-08-2008, 12:00 PM

From what I've been told, the doc cuts a slit through the top of the vagina and pulls the uterus and cervix through Then stitches the cut areas and the top of the vagina, making the cuff. YouTube has a video about this, put in the search vaginal hysterectomy!
Unread 08-08-2008, 12:22 PM

Hi!
I did not shave before I went in and the first time I looked in the mirror after surgery I was as "naked" as the day I was born! It made me laugh. But, thankfully, they did it after they had put me under!!

I am 6 weeks post-op right now but I cannot tell the difference between how I felt with a cervix and now without! Right now when I sit and then stand up I can feel a twinge where the cervix used to be (it's now called the vaginal cuff) but that will subside as the days pass. But, yes, they cut the cervix away from the end of the vagina and sew the vagina shut thus creating the vaginal cuff.

Regarding your weight loss, I lost 15 pounds as my appetite was decreased during my recovery and the only thing that tasted really good to me was fresh fruit, saltine crackers and lots of water! It has given me incentive to keep up the progress and, truly, my appetite is much less than pre-op! Yea!!

I didn't purchase a swelly belly band because when I woke from surgery my doctor had put on a stretchy compression wrap thingy that closes with Velcro. Wow, was that my best friend for about 3 weeks! It just helps support your belly because for a while you'll just find it feels better with some kind of support. If the hospital doesn't put one on you I would definitely order the swelly belly band! After the 3rd week I started wearing support panties when I am up and around. It really feels so much better than just lightweight panties.

Don't ever hesitate to ask questions. The more you know the better your recovery and the more things you will have already at your fingertips while you're recuperating.

Best of luck to you and stay in touch -- we all care about you!

Carol

P.S. I had a laproscopic assisted vaginal hysterectomy with BSO (removal of tubes and ovaries)
Unread 08-08-2008, 07:50 PM

Hi
I am also due to have TVH and was interested in the swelly belly, but not sure which one would be right for me, also I dont have a credit card and live in Australia, can I buy one locally?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register