Donating Your Own Blood | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Donating Your Own Blood Donating Your Own Blood

Unread 08-06-2003, 10:14 AM
Donating Your Own Blood

How many are doing this and what are your thoughts on this and for those of you post op do you wish you had or hadn't? Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-06-2003, 10:22 AM
Donating Your Own Blood

I didn't. I asked my dr, and he didn't really think it would be necessary, it wasn't, and since I'm such a weenie about giving blood (the red cross has told me not to come back!!) - I didn't mind.

I don't think very many women need to receive blood - I suppose it has a lot to do with how much work you are having done and why...
best wishes for your surgery and recovery,
Cheryl
Unread 08-06-2003, 10:24 AM
Donating Your Own Blood

Yes, I am doing it. In fact I set up my dates yesterday. I highly reccomend it if you are not anemic, if you don't know your iron levels they will check them at time of donation. If your blood is not needed for your surgery they will disgaurd it. If at all possible self donation is always best, no rejection issues to deal with.

Best of luck in whatever you decide.

Donna

Donate blood, the life you save may be your own!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-06-2003, 10:35 AM
mitral valve prolapse

I can't donate blood because, I have mitral valve prolapse. And I don't think I have enough blood to take now anyway, Aunt Flo left yesterday afternoon. I hemorrhaged really bad, I started Aug 1st I finally stopped yesterday evening ...
Unread 08-06-2003, 10:41 AM
Guess I won't be doing that.....

I am anemic from to much Aunt Flo!
Unread 08-06-2003, 10:42 AM
Donating Your Own Blood

Enjoli

Do you have a family member with the same blood type as you that can donate for your surgery? I know there are a lot of ladies here that can not donate because of their conditions, I just found out that my injury and meds won't preclude me from donation for myself now. That was a big relief for me since my sister can not donate due to being anemic. One of the meds I take is to help open the blood vessels in my brain and can cause aplastic anemia so I was concerned about the blood issue.

Donna
Unread 08-06-2003, 10:46 AM
Cost of banking own blood

Donating your own blood is a good idea. I ended up having a blood transfusion from losing alot of blood. But please check into the cost of doing this. My mother just had knee surgery and donated her own blood and come to find out her insurance does not cover that (banking your own blood) and she got a bill for well over $300.00. So yes it is a good idea but check into the cost, especially if you are strapped for cash.
Unread 08-06-2003, 12:12 PM
Donating Your Own Blood

My surgery is 18 Sept, I arranged just today to donate my own blood for my surgery. I am lucky that I have the time and health to be able to do this. My gyn said I wouldn't need it, but then again the ladies on this website who had blood transfusions were to probably told they wouldn't need any blood. The hospital crossmatches 2 units of blood for the surgery anyway, so I decided to make them my blood and not have to worry about the what ifs.
Unread 08-06-2003, 12:28 PM
Doing it while haveing surgery

Hi ..... My Dad had his 3rd open heart surgery, a couple of years ago. He asked them about donating blood, they told him that he didn't need to. They now use a machine that cycles your own blood through a machine, cleanses it then it is reused ... I can't think of the name of it off hand ...
I am O p+ So I am ok there, I was going to donate mine to my father on his 2nd one but they said it was to late ... So if your going to start donateing blood, ask the Dr. when do you need to start doing it ... I know there is a waiting span there...
Unread 08-06-2003, 12:51 PM
Donating Your Own Blood

Here in PA the blood bank will bank your deposit for 35 days so in my case I am having surgery on 9/23 and they have me coming in on the 6th and the 13th of Sept and I am to take iron in between deposits. duh

I am going to check into if there is a cost here for banking your own blood, all the nurse said was if I had someone else donate for me specifically there would be a fee. I will be combing over my policy now.

Donna

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register