Trouble Breathing After Da Vinci | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Trouble Breathing After Da Vinci Trouble Breathing After Da Vinci

Unread 07-26-2013, 09:34 PM
Trouble Breathing After Da Vinci

My surgery was last Thursday and my doctor used the Da Vinci, I lost everything. I had 2 tumors, one on each side of my uterus, by bowels were wrapped around one, and my colon was stuck to the other side. (No wonder I had so much pain, right!)

I am happy with my recovery, very little pain, no bleeding. Today I went out to dinner and a movie with my family and felt great...just got a little achy and tired.

HOWEVER! Since my operation I have had trouble breathing.It started in the hospital just hours after I was in my room. I thought I was going to die, I kept gasping and gasping but I just couldn't get any air and my chest was so tight. My doctor ordered oxygen, which I ended up wearing my entire stay, and it did help. But they never seemed concerned with the issue and barely even addressed it.

Since ive been home the problem has continued, mainly at night while im asleep, Ill jerk awake gasping for air and my chest is tight. After a few minutes it resolves and goes away. It happens during the daytime too, but mainly at night.
Has anyone else had this to happen. I wonder if its surgery related. All I do know is that its a terrible feeling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-26-2013, 10:04 PM
Re: Trouble Breathing After Da Vinci

It's normal to have trouble breathing after surgery but if your gasping for air I don't think that's normal. I would call your doctor to be sure. The only time I had trouble breathing was whenever I was walking.
Unread 07-26-2013, 10:14 PM

I agree that you should be calling your doctor about this breathing issue. It isn't normal and should be addressed. Please keep us posted!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-26-2013, 11:26 PM

Hthis happened to me in the shower the other day, I felt like my heart was racing and then I felt like it was difficult to breath. I turned the water off to cool a bit and just waited. It finally went and I continued to shower. It also happened in hospital, it made me sit upright and I felt panicky but it went quickly so I didn't mention it. Not sure what it is ?!?!
Unread 07-27-2013, 01:39 AM

I had a tight chest and breathing issues about 2 days post op. Discussed with the nurse and she said it was the gas from the op working itself out. Only lasted a couple of hours at the most. Please go and seek medical advice. 4 weeks post op l was admitted into hospital with blood clots in my lungs, l had back pains and was extremely short of breath. You probably do not have this issue but it is better to be safe than sorry. I do not want to scare you but it did happen to me. Please get checked out to give you peace of mind
Good luck and keep healing.
Unread 07-27-2013, 07:32 AM

I had surgery July 18th have lots of spells where I'm short of breath especially when I walk but never where im gasping for air and mine happens with activity not during rest. I would contact ur dr and get X-ray to be sure. Hang in there sister hope u feel better soon. HUGS!!!
Unread 07-30-2013, 09:02 PM

I finally asked my doctor (the OBGYN that performed my surgery) about my breathing issues after surgery.
He said that it was one of the common side effects to the Da Vinci surgery.
Due to the tilted position of our body during surgery it allows more fluid to build up in our lungs.
Some people have worse trouble breathing than others, some have no problems at all, others have to stay in the hospital a little longer for this reason.
But if you continue to do your breathing exercises and take deep, slow breaths it should pass within a few days.
I hope this eases the fear of this issue, I know it sure did scare me.
But please always, ALWAYS report this issue to your doctor.
Unread 07-31-2013, 12:38 AM

Becky
Good to hear that everything is ok with your breathing issues.
It is so great to be at 6 weeks post op, feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders.
Keep healing sisters
Unread 07-31-2013, 01:24 AM

yes, I had trouble breathing after surgery. I was sent home with a little breathing exercise pump. also the pain meds make me breath shallow. I haven't had breathing attacks though.
Unread 07-31-2013, 06:31 AM

i would still be very cautious it has been 4 weeks since your surgery and you SHOULD NOT be still having issues. if it was from the surgery as a result of the davinchi surgery itself it SHOULD be cleared up already. if it dosen't resolve in another few days i would go and see your primary or at the very least to the ER so they can make sure it isn't blood clots in your lungs.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register