No libido | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Sexual Dysfunction After Hysterectomy

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 05-01-2005, 05:53 AM
No libido

I have a strange question... How can the cream put on down there, help the "want" of sex?

I am currently only on Bio-Identical hormones - estrogen, a low dose. And my doc gave me a cream of (what I thought was progesterone, but is NOT and is estrogen) to smear on my arm. I have not yet used it, as the doc said with my history of cancer - he is fearful of my being on too much estrogen.

I also do not think (really) that i need the cream estrogen, as my general menopausal symptoms are better with my tablets - I just have absolutely NO libido - I think I need that progesterone cream - but do not feel comfortable putting the cream down there. I have a hard enough time feeling clean and comfortable down there. Is it also ok to apply the cream elsewhere? Will it have the same affect? Is this the same cream I can buy from the HS store, the store also does not state how/where to apply it?

My problem is not only the lack of feeling when I do have sex with my DH - it is that I feel no desire or want - I feel asexual actually - I do not really "miss" sex, but I feel for my DH.

i feel embarrassed writing this out - so I hope it make sense?

Julia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-02-2005, 10:28 AM
No libido

Hi Julia So, it sounds like you are on oral bi-est for your estrogen, plus the DR gave you a compounded cream with estrogen and progesterone to apply either on your arm or on the vulva? Am I understanding that correctly?

You asked how that will help your libido. Well, chances are, it won't. The hormone most responsible for libido (desire) is testosterone, not progesterone. I would ask the DR, since he/she seems comfortable prescribing compounded HRT's for you, to prescribe a low dose cream with testosterone only... like 1% or 2% at most.

That would be applied to the vulva... if you like, you could put it on your inner thigh, or alternate. Once the effect has 'kicked in', I think you could also put it on your wrist, ankle... anywhere with thin skin. But initially, applying it closer to the *target* area seems to work best, at least in my experience. My cream is in a base called "Vanicream", which, as the name seems to indicate, vanishes right into the skin. I don't get an 'unclean' feeling from it at all.

I hope this helps.
s,
-Linda
Unread 05-17-2005, 04:18 PM
hi

hi julia, i,m in the same boat as you. i too have had problems with no libido. i have treid all kids of things, and i still have low libido. i,ve had my surgery almost 6 years ago and i,m still struggleing with not wanting no sex, i do but i,m too lazy to do anything about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-21-2005, 03:55 AM
No libido

Hi Julia,

From what Im reading I think you should ask yopur DR about Testosterone good luck,Deedee
Unread 05-27-2005, 09:27 AM
No libido

Julia,

You asked how a cream put on "down there" can help sexual desire...

This is a very simplistic answer to a complex process, but maybe it will help you:

Think of your body as a machine that is run on electricity; in order for the "electricity" to get from one part of the body to another, it has to have a pathway out of some kind of conductive material. In our bodies, the conductive material for the "electricity" is made up of all the chemicals and the hormones that our endocrine system makes. This fluid pathway runs from one endocrine organ to the next throughout our entire body. The main "switch" or electrical panel for all of these organ "outlets" is the brain, but, as with electricity, it must make a complete circuit to work properly. Between each organ is a feedback loop that completes the circuit.

The ovaries are part of the endocrine system and they are connected to the other endocrine organs. When they are removed, this circuit cannot be completed, therefore, your main panel is not running at full capacity. (Does this make sense? Hope so.) When you "replace" (as close as we can get) the missing conductive material (in this case, hormones) you are giving your body a conductive pathway, (a bit rerouted) back to the other parts. Thereby, completing the circuit. Sometimes this is enough "power" to keep things running and sometimes it's not, but it's always worth a try!

Does this analogy help any at all? I hope it didn't make it more confusing!

Best wishes,

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register