Recently diagnosed with Cervical Cancer. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Recently diagnosed with Cervical Cancer. Recently diagnosed with Cervical Cancer.

Unread 02-15-2016, 07:48 AM
Recently diagnosed with Cervical Cancer.

Hello ladies, well, I've been diagnosed with cervical cancer and currently penciled in to have a radical hysterectomy in (name of hospital removed for safety/privacy) Guildford (UK) on 10th March.
On 3rd of March, I am having a Pelvic Lymph Gland Dissection. If the cancer has spread to my lymph glands, then no hysterectomy for me, straight to Chemo/Radio therapy.
I am terrified of both options.
I am 47, live on my own (after a horrible relationship) with my two dogs. Will I need somebody to stay with me after my hysterectomy?
Would rather battle on, on my own if possible.
Mx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-15-2016, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezzi View Post

Hello ladies, well, I've been diagnosed with cervical cancer and currently penciled in to have a radical hysterectomyon 10th March.
On 3rd of March, I am having a Pelvic Lymph Gland Dissection. If the cancer has spread to my lymph glands, then no hysterectomy for me, straight to Chemo/Radio therapy.
I am terrified of both options.
I am 47, live on my own (after a horrible relationship) with my two dogs. Will I need somebody to stay with me after my hysterectomy?
Would rather battle on, on my own if possible.
Mx
Hello
I had my hysterectomy two weeks ago tomorrow and I'm still struggling with lifting heavy things simple things like putting bin out. You will definitely need someone there with you at least for the first 2/3days to help you get in a routine. Luckily I have had my husband help me to shower as it hurt to bend and even dry my hair he's been a rock. So my answer is yes I would get help if you can. I thought I would be ok for my partner to return to work as soon as I was home but he had a week of thank goodness. I wish you all the luck in world. I had cervical cancer the reason I had my op at the age of 30 I've had abnormal cells for 6 years x
Unread 02-15-2016, 02:37 PM
Re: Recently diagnosed with Cervical Cancer.

I live alone and recovered alone, which worked fine for me. However, many women are happy they had help for a few days. My concern would be walking the dogs if they are large or if they pull. You may need some help with them. I couldn't drive for a week, and the lifting restrictions made food shopping a challenge. Stock up on dog food and groceries and supplies ahead of time, to be safe. Can someone take the trash to the curb for you? Can you get groceries delivered? Could someone walk the dogs if needed? All things to consider. Also, I welcome you to post in our Cancer Concerns Forum, where others have had similar experiences. The women there are very helpful and many have had similar issues. We are here for support as you go through this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-16-2016, 01:43 AM

I'm sorry to read about your cancer diagnosis. My mother survived breast cancer and I was get caregiver and I know how difficult it must be for you.

I think it's best to see if you can have someone be with you or be on call if you need someone for the first three days after surgery.

It will depend on how you recover from surgery.

Let's hope for the best and you can have someone on call if you need something.

Wishing you all the best and a speedy recovery 🙂
Unread 02-16-2016, 06:45 PM

My rad/hys was open abdomen for CC Stage 1B1. Unfortunately had post surgical complications. Perhaps dVH is a little less intense but it's still a rad/hys and I honestly would encourage you to have a plan in place for assistance. I have a little saying I'm known for: better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it! ie, it will be a relief to you if you're doing well and don't end up needing to rely on the help you arranged. It will be a huge stress if you do need help and haven't sorted it out ahead of time.

Aside from that, I'm sorry about your diagnosis. It is a tough one. Do you know what stage you are? I didn't have the sentinel node biopsy done in advance so I was really scared I'd wake up from surgery to find out they didn't do the hys because of spread. I hope your nodes are clear, you can have the rad/hys and this can be all behind you.

Keep us posted. And I second greyown's invitation to you to come over to the Gyn Cancer Forum. The whole of Hyster Sisters is a super supportive group but you will really find a special level of understanding and support among the sisters who have made the cancer journey too.
Unread 02-20-2016, 08:53 AM

Hi All,

Thank you for your words of wisdom. I met with my surgeon and MDT yesterday and feel totally confused, if not very very frightened.

I don't know about other ladies, but I didn't know there was anything wrong with me until I had my routine smear, last July. Abnormal cells, CINS 3. I've already had two LLETZ procedures and now some major surgery coming up.

On 3rd March - I am having my pelvic lymph nodes removed, along some very unpleasant camera work. Have been told I will be "out cold" for about two and half hours. If cancer is in the lymph nodes then no hysterectomy, straight to Radiochemo. If all clear, then the radical hysterectomy on 10th March.

What concerns me is the side effects of having my lymph nodes removed and the strong chance of getting Lymphedema. So I can potentially get rid of the cancer and be left with a cronic incurable illness.

As for the practicalities of whats coming up. Doggie walker booked for two long walks a day, morning and evening. New baggy pj's and jogger bottoms bought. Meeting a cleaner tomorrow, who understands my situation and will help around the house as and when I need it. My 8 chickens are going on holiday for 8 weeks, to friends who are currently between chicks and have plenty of room for mine, my ladies will be paying for their board in eggs!

So, I can't thank you enough for the comments and am so pleased I found this site, I really don't feel as lonely as I did a few days ago. As for having somebody here with me, I've yet to make any final decisions or reach out to anybody. I'll do that during the course of this week coming.

Stay happy and as well as you can Ladies. xx

(Oh yes am stage 1b1).
Unread 02-20-2016, 04:07 PM

Hi Mezzi - I understand how overwhelmed, frightened and confused you may feel. It's been over 3yrs since my original diagnosis and I still remember those early days so well - the time after diagnosis, gathering information, finding out about surgeries, etc. Everything you're feeling is so normal. Just take one step at a time.

Regarding the lymph node dissection, I do want to specifically say you do not have a "strong chance" of getting lymphedema so you can get rid of cancer; you have a fairly small chance in fact. Pelvic lymphadenectomy results in approximately a 5-7% chance of developing lymphedema. We don't know who will fall into that unfortunate 5-7%, and that is small comfort to those who do. But put this way, you have a 93-95% chance this will NOT happen to you. 93-95%!!

The lymph node dissection is essential to ensure your cancer has not spread. You are doing the right thing by having this done. Getting things at the earliest stage goes a long way in ensuring the best possible outcome.

I had my rad/hys in Dec 2012 and I have had no issues with lymphedema. I had pelvic radiation last year which also comes with the risk of lymphedema and still - so far, so good.

Try to stay hopeful. It sounds like you've done lots of great arranging so far for yourself. Well done! You can do this, and we are here for you.

Hugs!
Unread 02-20-2016, 08:57 PM

(((Mezi))) I just wanted to echo what Neekers said concerning the lymph nodes. The doctor will only remove as many as needed to make the diagnosis as the conventional wisdom is if it's in one, it's in the lymph system and will be treated accordingly (think of the lymph system as a highway). So, the nodes aren't removed to be curative (removing the cancer), rather for treatment direction.

I had a handful of nodes removed and have had absolutely no lymphedema issues ten plus years later. And, from my experience on this site, the majority of ladies don't have problems. Even if you would be one who does experience issues, they can be of varying degree and managed.

So, for now, please try not to worry about something that very well might never happen. Whatever does happen, you WILL be able to handle things, and we'll help however we can.
Unread 02-20-2016, 09:49 PM

Dear Mezzi,

Just had my DaVinci radical hyst with lymph node dissection 4 days ago for same diagnosis. Have to tell you I have been terrified since I had never been in a hospital for anything, then to be facing "this", but what a nice surprise it has turned out to be.

I can tell you honestly I have joyous relief it has been so much LESS traumatic than I anticipated. Of course, each of us have our own journeys, but my surgery was 3 hours, no pain afterward, only discomfort, no nausea, BMs started 2 days afterwards and I have only taken 3 over-the-counter Motrin since Tuesday. I do have some intense swelling, but called yesterday to hear it was normal. Have over exerted myself since coming home, on my feet several hours, versus a few minutes an hour, so my swelling is a result of that. No CO2 gas pains and best of all, 8-10 restful hours of sleep per night.

I am anxious to learn my pathology results next week, but my GYN/ONC reminded me to NOT worry about that bridge unless we needed to go over it. He has been very positive that this specific surgery can often times take care of this cancer, with no additional treatment required. I am trying to stay calm and at peace, no matter the results. Do hope you can come to a place of peace too. It is terrifying news to receive, but remember it is also one that has a very very high survival rate.

I will stay in touch to let you know of any issues I encounter, but so far it has been so much easier (not sure if this is the best word to use - as no major surgery is easy!), but I have had a very positive experience and am day 4 post op.

Hugs and blessings!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register