Pre-op Questions- Nervous Newcomer | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-op Questions- Nervous Newcomer Pre-op Questions- Nervous Newcomer

Unread 07-07-2003, 09:31 PM
Pre-op Questions- Nervous Newcomer

Hello Everyone

I am scheduled for a vaginal hysterectomy (cervix and uterus only) on July 15/03, and getting very nervous as that date grows nearer. I was diagnosed with cervical cancer in February of this year, at that time my doctor opted to do a biopsy and that was followed up by LEEP treatments, after the tests came back from that I was given the choice of cone biopsy -if I wanted to hold off and have more children within the next year or so --or a hysterectomy if we were done having children. Since we have 2 boys now age 3 and 8 months, I chose to have the hysterectomy done now.

I am very nervous about the entire procedure. Is there anything I can do to better prepare myself for this operation? Any special things I should have at hospital or when returning home which could make me more comfortable??

I am not sure how to handle being away from my kids and then upon returning not being able to care for them on my own! Most of my concern lies with my 3 year old as he is so active and totally dependant on Mommy, any experience you can lend here would be a great help??????

Thanks for your help,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-07-2003, 09:57 PM
Kids

I have a two and four year old, and they can both be quite active. The best advice for the three year old is to make sure that you have activities that he can do by himself. We have a craft box with paper, colors, markers, finger paints that my girls can access themselves, and they have a little craft table (from the dollar store) so I don't have to be worried about drips. We also have a basket of puppets and a lot of books, hopefully he plays by himself (If not have him read to you or sit on the floor while you read, or do a puppet show for you). I also hope that you will have help with the boys the first couple of weeks after surgery, as I am sure you will not be able to lift the baby. I got a good tip that to show my girls when mommy was feeling better, if I have the tummy pillow out then that means they have to be gentle, so they will know in a couple of weeks when I don't need it that mommy is ok. Also, finger foods in ziploc bags are great. Remember that young kids like to exert their independence, he'll enjoy getting to be big for awhile.
Unread 07-07-2003, 10:09 PM

Thanks for your reply. The craft box was a great idea which I will definitely be using as my three year old loves to do those. What are these tummy pillows, seems everyone is talking about them, I'm thinking I need one.....nice to hear from someone who has children. My 8 month old weighs about 20lbs already, my DH will be around to help me out, my doc figures I would be able to lift him by the second week, does this sound right????

Thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-08-2003, 05:42 AM

It really should be okay!! My surgery is 7/15, and I can hardly wait. My children are older (11, 9, and 7), but the problem with that is explaining what is going on--we have talked about it and laughed about it, and cried about it---they now understand it will be okay!!

I will be thinking of you on the 15th! My surgery is @ 10am (Indiana time), so I will keep you in my thoughts!

It will be okay--we are very important people and our family and friends need us to be well and this surgery will allow us to be better moms, wifes, and friends.

take care and good luck!

Katie
Unread 07-08-2003, 08:05 PM

Thanks for your reply. I guess we are booked for the same day and approx. the same time too. I am having mine done at the Doctor Everett Chalmers Hospital in Fredericton, New Brunswick at 10:30 am on the 15th --I will be thinking of you as well, Best of luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register