Read all these stories, now I'm scared - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Read all these stories, now I'm scared Read all these stories, now I'm scared

Unread 02-04-2007, 06:43 AM
Read all these stories, now I'm scared

Ok ladies...enough will the horror stories! I know its scary and I know you want to find all the information that you possibly can. I was one of those too. This site is the best for posting your questions and concerns. These ladies are awesome and I have learned so much. The 1 major thing is that you cannot and should not compare your recovery to anyone else. We all heal differently and handle pain, etc differently. My advise to you is post your questions and SOMEONE will answer them. Also, talk to your dr's or nurses..express your concerns, thats what you pay them for! Best wishes to you all.

Wendy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-04-2007, 07:22 AM

I think you need to go into this surgery with your eyes wide open about the possibilities. I am 6 months post-op from a TAH and NOW I am feeling really good. I am 46, and did keep my ovaries because I did not want instant menopause. My iron levels rose dramatically after surgery (I was anemic due to heavy periods), my stuffed feeling due to fibroids was gone.

But I did have a complication (happens about 1% of the time with abdominal hysts) and ended up with a 2nd surgery (this time vaginal) 4 months after the TAH. My problem is now repaired, but it made for an extra long recovery. (and more than a little stress!)

I had talked to friends prior to my hyst and they kept telling me how much better I would feel, how after the first week its no big deal-so obviously they had good outcomes. I think many women do! But there are risks... I never thought I'd be in the 1% group, but I guess someone has to be.

Weigh the ovary decision carefully...I almost had mine out because I didn't want a 2nd surgery down the road (ha-had one anyway!)Finding a good balance of man-made hormones can be tricky. I also noticed in reading posts that the women who seemed to be doing well after surgery still had their ovaries. But follow your instincts...if not knowing your history would cause you stress , then do what you and your dr believe is best for YOU.

Waiting until April is tough, but it is a good time to gather info and consider choices! I hope everything goes really well for you!
Unread 02-04-2007, 07:24 AM

Hey Luvs2Quilt, I agree with Wickedwoman99! This is an awesome site for getting answers to wacky questions about some of the goofy changes our bodies will go through after surgery. I also know several women who have had this surgery with absolutely NO complications whatsoever. They were my moral support before surgery and before I found this site. I did get a little nervous after reading about some of the problems that some of the women had on the site but it just reinforced my resolve to take good care of myself post-surgery. My DH, DD & DS's have been awesome throughout this whole ordeal and have even read some of the information that I have found here. It has given them a better understanding of what I am going through.

My doctor took everything I had and it was definately the best decision for me. You definately need to listen to your doctor about what is best for you too. Good luck on your surgery and we'll be looking for your posts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-04-2007, 11:45 AM

keep your ovaries and your chances of long term problems will greatly diminish.
both my ovaries were taken out and i have been dealing with many issues totally unexpected and unprepared about (my surgery was emergency with no prior diagnosis of endo or any female problems-- so i had zero prep). i think it is toughest for those gals (like myself) who DID NOT know about the instant-surgical-menopause issues and were surprised to get hit with them. I was not a whiner and regular visitor or caller to my doc prior to surgery. not at all. I enjoyed good health my entire life prior to the tah/bso.

On the upside, my recovery involved NO major physical complications from the surgery itself-- my external TAH scars (7-inch horizontal + 1-inch belly button incision) are also healing nicely and you can barely see them. i had the usual, common issues that most women here experience-- and because of this wonderful website, it was comforting to hear that what i was experiencing was a "normal recovery".
Information in empowering-- i think it is vital to take every horror story in it's proper context-- if you keep your ovaries, then you shouldn't freak out about most of the problem stories-- they won't apply to you! On this website, Ladies who keep their ovaries are clearly bouncing back nicely and enjoying good health--
i am sure you will too-- good luck.
Unread 02-04-2007, 01:06 PM

Yes my life has changed drastically....for the better!! I am about 10 months out, feeling good, had to deal with hot flashes, and insomnia for a while, but my ovary did kick back in. Not sure for how long, but it is at least working for now. You do need to go into this surgery prepared, and ready to deal withthe things that may crop up. No oneis the same, some have a lot of pain, some have very little. Some are on pain meds for many weeks, others use them for only a few days. we are all different. Just be aware of what can happen,so if God forbid you have to deal with a problem you are ready for it. It is the small minority that have major , long term complications. I guess having had surgeries before, I knew to be ready just in case. Also sometimes, yes things feel differently afterward, but eventually it evens out, and becomes part of the background of normal again.
Unread 02-04-2007, 04:37 PM

golftaxi,
I have done more research on this subject than anything else in my life. I want to be fully prepared and I realize that sometimes things don't always go the way we want them to, but I expect that also. I'd much rather know what they are going to do to my body than be surprised, that's for sure. My aunt had a hysterectomy in her 70's because she started to bleed and it wouldn't stop. They took out everything. My sister had her hysterectomy when she was in her 20's due to endometriosis. They took out everything that time also.

I plan on taking it very easy after surgery, because I don't want to cause problems. I want things to heal well. Like you said, things even out with time. You know the old saying, Time Heals All Wounds. Well, that is true.

I already have hot flashes and insomnia, so I'm used to those. I've had hot flashes since I started my period when I was 13. Through the years I went to drs. to try and get something to stop them, but the drs. said they couldn't help me. That there was nothing available and to learn and live with it. My periods have always been on time, but that's about it. I've always had the hot flashes, headaches, severe back pain and cramps. My stomach bothers me around the time of my period also. I remember being in high school and having cramps so bad I'd feel like I was going to double over. Sometimes in December I'll go out in a t shirt and shorts.

I do want to talk over with my dr. whether I should keep the ovaries and cervix or have them out. I prefer to have them out because I'm in my mid 40's and menopause can't be far behind, if it already hasn't started. I do worry about getting those types of cancers in the future, even though the odds are low. My mother had a lot of problems and had many surgeries. But I have no history of what she had because she passed away a long time ago. I'll talk with my dr. about this again at my pre-exam visit. She already told me I can keep them, but understands if I want them out. In all my reading it says you can have mini periods if they are kept in, and I really don't want that. Plus I want the anemia to go away so I won't have to take iron anymore. No more periods sure sounds good to me!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register