Hysterectomy scheduled soon -need info on ovaries | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy scheduled soon -need info on ovaries Hysterectomy scheduled soon -need info on ovaries

Unread 01-20-2008, 07:36 PM
Hysterectomy scheduled soon -need info on ovaries

Hi

I am having trouble deciding what to do with my ovaries - leave one? leave both or remove both? Dr's are giving me conflicting answers and no-one has the time to discuss it with me in depth. Here is the background - what would you do?

1) 50 year old perimenopausal female with osteopenia.
2) Also have thyroid cancer - so thyroid was removed and now I kept slightly hypothyroid to help prevent the return of the cancer. This puts me at greater risk for osteporosis and heart issues.
3) MRI shows the uterus to be the size of a 6 months pregnant uterus (due to fibroids) and a pendicular one near the ovary as well.
4) Recent PAP came back with "abnormal" cells but that may be due to being perimenopausal.

Surgeon says it is easier operation to take both; but says it is "negotiable" (??) (He is taking the cervix...)

One Endocronologist said take them both but go on Estrogen only right away to help with the osteoporosis (not the mixture of hormones).

Two GYN's say leave the cervix and the ovaries.
A DO says at my age take it all.

What d I do? Surgery is 2/04 and I have no idea where to turn to get the correct answer to this question.

Anyone care to weigh in on this?
Thanks
Jax
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-20-2008, 07:58 PM

If you can keep one ovary...as long as it is healthy, KEEP it. I had my hysterectomy in June 2007. I begged my gyn to let me keep my one remaining ovary, I had the other removed 10 years ago due to endometriosis. She left it...but during my surgery to remove my uterus(also the size of a 6 month pregnancy) she found a strange tumor growing in my vascular system (intravascularleiomyomatosis) during the surgery. She removed it, but after the surgery, the results came back that although it was no cancerous, it does metastasize. It was determined that it was 100 percent estrogen receptive...so I had to have another surgery to remove my ovary in August. I can't have any hormone replacement, natural or otherwise, or it would defete the purpose of taking my ovary. I am absolutely miserable with hotflashes. If you can take hormone replacement of any kind, you might concider having your ovaries out, but if you can't or don't want to , you should keep your ovaries. Something doctors don't tell you is that your ovaries keep producing hormones pretty much the rest of your life, albeit at a much reduced rate. When you have your ovaries removed, it's like hitting a brick wall. So comparing natural menopause symtoms to surgical menopause symptoms is like comparing childbirth to adoption. They are very different. Good luck with whatever you decide, but if I could have kept my ovary and gone through natural menopause, I would have.

Cathy

Cathy
Unread 01-21-2008, 08:52 AM

I thought I wanted my ovaries removed but left it up to the dr when he was in there. I have family history of ovarian cysts. But I feel so normal right now like nothing ever happened other than the abdominal discomfort.

In my non-professional opinion, the surgeon seems like he is talking about it from a procedure standpoint. The endo is looking at it full system and long term. The others hard to tell. Did you ask any of the gyn's for explanations as to why to leave them?

I THINK.......just my opinion........I would lean towards the endocrinologist's opinion as he looks over the total body hormone evaluation. Is he the one who also handles the thyroid issues?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-21-2008, 09:56 AM

Jax,

I don't really have an opinion for you - it's really a personal choice.

I'm also having surgery on 2/4 but I'm having it all done - cervix, uterus, both ovaries & a rectocele repair. I'm just to the point that I want it all out. My decision was based on my family history of cancer, my problems with cysts & endrometrosis and I just decide I want it all over with. I've been on Lupron shots for 9 months twice with about a 10 year break between the two sets of shots so I'm familar with the symtoms of menopause.

I hope you come to the right decision for you and I hope you have a speedy recovery!
Justina
Unread 01-21-2008, 10:17 AM

i personally believe anything healthy should be left there. our organs are there for a reason and each have their job to do. even though you are perimenopausal, your ovaries are still providing you with hormones and continue to do so after menopause. if you have them removed, you will go into surgical menopause. hormone replacement therapy can be tricky. unless your dr can give you a medical reason why he wants to take your cervix and ovaries, you should continue to do lots of research and think about keeping them. good luck..
Unread 01-21-2008, 04:16 PM

Thanks to all who replied. Yes - the endo was taking care of my cancer at the time (one of many...you have thyroid cancer you seem togo through endo's...) Thaks again Jax

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register