Scheduled LSH Pre-op tomorrow | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-op tomorrow Pre-op tomorrow

Unread 12-06-2010, 08:14 AM
Pre-op tomorrow

I have my pre-op appointment tomorrow. What should I expect?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-06-2010, 09:10 AM
Re: Pre-op tomorrow

I guess everyone has a different pre-op but mine was simple. I discussed all the before and after requirements, signed about a million papers (release forms and such), paid my co-pay to the hospital, had blood work done, got asked a million "Have you ever had this or that" questions (medical history stuff), quick and painless.
Unread 12-06-2010, 09:12 AM

Thank you, I'm considering making a list of questions to ask just in case I forget something. How long has it been since your surgery?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-06-2010, 09:16 AM

I found out they have me scheduled for a total laparoscopic hysterectomy (uterus & cervix) but when I discussed with my ob/gyn back in September she told me I'd keep everything except my uterus. Should I be worried? Something just don't sound right and has me concerned. I've read alot of people say get a second opinion, I never did. I had the UFE done 5 years ago and she suggested I could get it done again but I don't want to have to worry about the fibroids ever again so that's why I'm having the hysterectomy. LSH or TLH? I'm confused.
Unread 12-06-2010, 09:33 AM

burrelay, the cervix is part of the uterus. You may have an option to keep your cervix, which would be a partial hysterectomy, but when a surgeon says they're removing your uterus, it's a safe bet that the cervix is included. If you really don't want to have fibroids ever again, that can be a factor in deciding to keep your cervix, since the only way to guarantee no fibroids again is to get rid of the whole thing.
Unread 12-06-2010, 09:36 AM

Hello Myotis, I definitely don't want the fibroids anymore. They've wreaked havic on me for the last time. That's my sole reason for having the hysterectomy. I think I'd better ask for some calming medicine before arriving for my surgery next week. I am terrified of needles and my biggest fear right now is the IV. I think if I can make it through that I can certainly deal with the discomfort that comes afterwards. I'm not looking forward to the first bowel movement. When I had the UFE, it was the worse pain ever, but I've been reading about stool softners and gas x.
Unread 12-06-2010, 10:19 AM

I chose the LSH option and kept my cervix. I would suggest you discuss the pros and cons of keeping your cervix or not with the surgeon. There are plenty of web sites that discuss the option as well. It is a personal decision based on your specific medical condition. It is a smart idea to make a list of questions. I would even write down the answers as they are given to you so you don't forget anything. I found that being as prepared as I could possibly be helped ease my fears somewhat.

I wish I could say something to ease your fears. I was scared to death before my surgery and there was nothing anyone could say to make me feel better. My surgery was over 3 months ago. I am so glad I did it. I have been lucky and had an easy recovery and feel a million times better than I did with the fibroids. Nothing I have been through since the surgery, including the first bowel movement, can even begin to compare to the monthly pain I endured with my period.

Best wishes! And know that you have all of us here for support when you need it.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register