LAVH 4 days post hysterectomy: Side Sleeper | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

4 days post hysterectomy: Side Sleeper 4 days post hysterectomy: Side Sleeper

Unread 11-14-2016, 03:48 AM
4 days post hysterectomy: Side Sleeper

Good morning all!

I am 4 days post LAVH/BSO. I am having trouble sleeping on my back. Tolerated it for a few days but now it am getting back aches. I am a side sleeper. Is it ok to sleep on your side or is this bad for our incisions? As bad as I want to sleep I don't want to gum up the healing process. TIA and healing vibes for all my fellow sisters today
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-14-2016, 06:39 AM

My surgery was also laparoscopic, and I was okay sleeping on my side by the first night. I just stayed mostly on my right side, so I wouldn't bother the largest of my incisions, by my left hip; however, when the laparoscopic gas pain kicked in, my right shoulder was in excruciating pain, so I temporarily switched to my left side until it dissipated. The important thing is to get enough rest, so choose whatever position feels best to you. Best wishes for your continued recovery!
Unread 11-14-2016, 07:10 AM

Thank you Tiger_Eye. I'll give it a try tonight!

Have a great day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger_Eye View Post
My surgery was also laparoscopic, and I was okay sleeping on my side by the first night. I just stayed mostly on my right side, so I wouldn't bother the largest of my incisions, by my left hip; however, when the laparoscopic gas pain kicked in, my right shoulder was in excruciating pain, so I temporarily switched to my left side until it dissipated. The important thing is to get enough rest, so choose whatever position feels best to you. Best wishes for your continued recovery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-14-2016, 07:37 AM
Re: 4 days post hysterectomy: Side Sleeper

I also had a laparoscopic surgery and am a side sleeper. I snuggled against a body pillow to sleep and used another pillow against my back to keep me propped up. As the incisions started to heal, I stopped using the body pillow and placed the HysterSister pillow on my ab area. Hope this helps!
Unread 11-14-2016, 07:51 AM
Re: 4 days post hysterectomy: Side Sleeper

I had a TAH with a 7" vertical incision. I can't sleep on my back at all. I slept on my side starting the first night after surgery - just curled right up on my side without thinking twice about it and went to sleep. I was still in the hospital and the nurses were in and out all night, so if I wasn't supposed to do that I'm sure that one of them would have said something!

The second night I was a bit less drugged out and found that I was more comfortable with a pillow tucked against my belly for support.

My staples came out 13 days after surgery. After that I slept on my stomach!
Unread 11-14-2016, 08:23 AM

This is great news ladies! Thank you so much for letting me know! Have a great day!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register