LSH 18 days post hysterectomy: How much bleeding is normal? | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

18 days post hysterectomy: How much bleeding is normal? 18 days post hysterectomy: How much bleeding is normal?

Unread 11-12-2016, 05:55 AM
18 days post hysterectomy: How much bleeding is normal?

Hi all!

I'm 18 days out and having what I think is a mostly normal recovery from an LSH, salpingectomy, and lasering to remove endometriosis from various areas. I have two sons, a husband who has been experiencing complications from heart disease, and a full time job, so the notion of complete rest doesn't really exist in my world. I am capable of walking lots of miles at this point - not too fast - but my upper abdomen does get tight and I get tired. I assume that stuff will pass with time. I just wonder about bleeding. I'm not filling up entire pads, but the blood is bright red or pink and plentiful when I wipe after peeing. Right after the surgery my doctor said it was normal to spot for 6-8 weeks so I thought I would ask about your experiences. Especially those of you who spoke to your docs about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-14-2016, 06:03 AM
Re: 18 days post hysterectomy: How much bleeding is normal?

Complete rest is not often prescribed, but taking it easy and ramping up slowly to allow all those internal incisions to heal is. For many, including me, that means periods of rest/reclining in between activities. I daresay, at 18 days, the combination of bleeding and a tight feeling might mean you're pushing a bit too much at this point. This recovery is not something you can hurry along by doing more sooner - in fact, it can set you back with stitches tearing or internal ruptures which you might not notice until you have pains from adhesions down the road. Healing comes in stages, with earlier scar tissue dissolving as it makes way for newer scar tissue - that's when we're likely to feel twinges and zingers. And yes, fatigue is normal because your body is expending what energy you have on healing.

If you're filling a pad in an hour, that'd be a call in to your doctor and a trip to the emergency room. More on Spotting vs. Bleeding here. My concern in your description is "plentiful" when you wipe, and it doesn't sound like that's your definition of spotting. It might be a red flag to pull back a bit and prop your feet up more.

You might also be interested in the three recovery videos on the Hysterectomy Recovery splash page. You're past the first one (Weeks 1-2), but it helps to watch that to understand what's going on inside.

Schedule down time, and enjoy it - we get it so seldom.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register