Bathroom Woes- 4 days post hysterectomy | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bathroom Woes- 4 days post hysterectomy Bathroom Woes- 4 days post hysterectomy

Unread 11-12-2016, 07:43 AM
Bathroom Woes- 4 days post hysterectomy

When should I start to worry that I haven't had a bowel movement? Also, urinating is so hard to do... it takes me 5 minutes to get started, I have to push the whole time and only get trickles. Help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-12-2016, 07:48 AM
Re: Bathroom Woes- 4 days post op

You will find lots of information on this site about BM's and helpful hints. Some folks take stool softeners.. ( I did, and it was 4 days until 'progress'). I also took the tea, 'smooth move' once - and it helped overnight.

My dr explained the bladder issues ( I was having the same thing happen).. if your uterus was enlarged ( or even if it wasn't) the bowel and bladder have been jostled around quite a bit. If you had an enlarged uterus the bladder, in particular, may need to establish it's new space and new normal for capacity. Just let yourself dribble.. don't push! You will have a more normal stream in the coming days and weeks.

Just don't worry.. drink LOTS of water, and at this point.. REST REST REST. Be well, I will have my 6 week appt on Tuesday.. and today I did more and felt really good. You will get there.
Unread 11-12-2016, 08:44 AM

My first bowel move entry was on day 6. In addition to the rearrangements mentioned by the previous poster, your bowels are also dealing with the after-effects of the anaesthesia, your pain medication, and hormonal shifts - even if you kept your ovaries, they may have temporarily fallen asleep. In the midst of all that resting, be sure to take regular walks; I just started by doing laps around my house, then gradually increased my distance as my recovery progressed. Peppermint tea works quite well for constipation caused by narcotic painkillers. Also try supplementing your diet with magnesium, which promotes proper bowel function; food sources include leafy greens, whole grains, nuts and seeds, and dark chocolate. Another tip I frequently recommend to kick-start your bowels is to sit on the toilet right after a meal; this stimulates the gastro-colic reflex, in which the stomach tells the brain that it's full, then the brain tells the colon to empty its contents, to make room for the new stuff coming in. To avoid straining, sit with your knees drawn into your chest, and your feet elevated on a low stool; this straightens the rectum, so the poop can pass through without straining. Here's hoping you'll be back to 💩 soon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-13-2016, 11:10 AM
Re: Bathroom Woes- 4 days post hysterectomy

I am in the same boat...4 days post surgery, no movement. makes it hard to stand up straight. I feel like all I do is drink water and make trips to the bathroom. Stool softeners haven't helped yet. I tried walking on my treadmill but that was uncomfortable. I guess it will happen when it happens! Hard not to obsess about it though.
Unread 11-13-2016, 03:57 PM

I had my first bm on day three. I was pretty concerned since I deal with irritable bowel syndrome as it is. But it was ok. I took a stool softeners with no result for two days. Then I got serious and started a combination senna and stool softener, two after eating twice a day, my regular medicine, plus four ounces of prune juice twice a day(mix with red grape juice because it's horrible on its own), also added some fresh blueberries and some watermelon. The combination seemed to do it. It was scary because I had a rectocele but I just gave it time and didn't strain and everything was fine. I'm doing the same routine today. I'm sick of the prune juice and it's very filling so it takes the place of a meal pretty much but if it works that's what counts. I seriously think that every person you ask will have a different sure fire cure for constipation.
Unread 11-13-2016, 04:48 PM

Thank you so much, everyone!
Unread 11-13-2016, 05:40 PM

My doctor has me on stool softner, but I had to have additional help as my dr said I was extremely backed up. I still am struggling with this. GOOD luck to you I drank lots of water to try and help also.
Unread 11-13-2016, 10:16 PM

Bet you never dreamed you would ne talking poop with total stramgers, LOL! You are not alone! Lots of us had (still have) some issues.

The advice to not push or strain for a poop or to pee is spot on. Just relax and plan extra time. Drove me nuts as I am not someone who likes to linger in the bathroom.

Lots of Sisters have lots of advice. I actually had to stay in the castle an extra day because I hadn't passed gas! They tried everything. Milk of Magnesia, stool softeners, laxatives, suppositories. I ate nuts, berries, took probiotics, drank teas of all sorts, my gp said fiber and Senacot, my gyn added magnesium. I was walking between a mile and three every day, and drinking enough water to float. The nurses would see me circling the floor, laugh, and ask what lap number I was on.

They finally sent me home on day four after I farted so loud I'm sure the whole floor heard.

Still no poo when I got home. I tried straight prune juice but spit it out it tasted so bad. Finally someone suggested mixing the prune juice with 7 Up, which sounded nasty, so I tried La Croix. UGH, worse! I finally did 50/50 prune juice and diet 7 Up (can't do the high sugar real stuff) and not only was it ok, it worked!! The fizz really helped cut the gross thickness. I think it was day six or so. Wish I would have known while I was in the castle! I still get clogged up some (on progesterone which does that) so I keep the magic elixir on hand. It did take a long time to stop ping ponging between constipation and loose stools though. It was a balancing act for sure.

Good luck!
Unread 11-14-2016, 07:39 AM

The urinating thing...I ended up back in hospital day three for backed up urine.
They cath me for several more days then took cath out...made me drink lots of water and waited for me to have urge to Pee.... no urge.
Tried to pee with no urge...no pee.
Doctor scanned my bladder and it was full but I had no urge. Doctor was going to have to re cath me then I told him I think I can Pee if I squat all the way to the floor to pee in a bowl.
He was like whatever it takes, so I tried it and had success. So happy I did not have to re cath. I did squat thing for a week. Now I can Pee in toilet but I got to really push and I pretend I'm blowing air out of a straw ...that activates the muscles to allow urine to stream.
The BM thing I have no issue but I read on another thread a sister suggested a heating pad on tummy when trying to poo helped her, I thought that was a neat idea.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register