Visitors | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 01-13-2009, 10:52 AM
Visitors

So how soon after surgery did you have visitors at the castle? Were they a welcome sight or a nuisance? I know I am going to want my husband there, but what about well meaning friends.

Just curious how you felt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-13-2009, 11:40 AM
Visitors

I had a friend come see me about 6 hours after surgery, and it was not a positive experience--in part because this is a close work friend but not a friend outside of work. What I would suggest is to only allow people who you could comfortably ask to leave if you get too tired. I was really happy to see my friend (hey, she brought chocolate!), but she stayed too long and I couldn't find the energy to ask her to leave even though my eyes were crossing at one point from how tired I was. My husband was a welcome visitor, although I did send him home for a nap at one point.
Unread 01-13-2009, 12:07 PM
Visitors

On the day of the op all I wanted was DH there.

I had my sister and niece visit over the next couple of days and as they both had to travel more than an hour to see me a short visit wasn't on the cards. Luckily they understood that I would be tired and sore and let me rest as much as I needed while they watched the TV.

Not sure I would have wanted anyone other than family visit me until after I got home though....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-13-2009, 12:12 PM
Visitors

I personally am glad it was just my husband. If it had been someone like my sister, who I'd be comfortable asking to leave (love how that was mentioned, good tip!), then I'd have her maybe. It's more likely that they will make me more uncomfortable than it is I won't feel good because they didn't visit.

Kara
Unread 01-13-2009, 12:39 PM
Visitors

I had to travel for my surgery and I felt blessed that it was just my hubby and me. I don't care much for visitors in the hospital and was glad that all my friends were at least 3 hours away. One thing you can do is let the hospital take over the unpleasant task of telling visitors who can and can't see you. Just let your nurse know that you've prefer not to have visitors other than your DH or family--they should be able to pass on the message in a diplomatic way when people call to ask about you. Good luck and best wishes!
Unread 01-13-2009, 03:19 PM
Visitors

My husband came and went and it was comforting to have him there even though I kept falling asleep on him. My kids came for a short visit on day 1 only, more to make sure I was alright. I'm 9 days post-op and still do not feel up to visitors. I have been really fortunate that everyone seems to understand. A couple of days ago I started to take quick phone calls. My husband has been really great keeping people informed and I have sent out a couple of group emails.
Hope this helps in your planning
Unread 01-13-2009, 03:29 PM
Visitors

When I registered in admitting, the girl who was taking my information asked me if I wanted visitors. She said if you don't want to exist while you are here we can make that happen. Had something to do with the HIPPA laws. My very best friend & her husband, boss(whom i dearly love), parents and brother. Of course hubby and DD's. Lots of time I fell asleep while they were there. I didn't feel bad about it at all. Couldn't help it with the morphine. That went for phone calls too. So any random friend that might have stopped at the courtesy desk to ask for my room or called didn't get through.
Unread 01-13-2009, 03:52 PM
Made my decision

I have already planned to have my mother and hubby with me the day of surgery and then only my mother the following day. She has been through this herself and will know what is happening and how to support me during this time.

I have made myself very clear to all other family and friends that I do not want any visitors the first 2 days of my stay at the castle and plan on telling the nurses the same.

The day of surgery, I assume I will just want to sleep and won't feel like keeping myself awake to converse with someone. The day after surgery, when the pain finally kicks in, I will probably not be in the mood to hear people talking about me or trying to tell me what to do!

If I have to stay longer that 2 days, then maybe if I feel like it.

tazekitty
LAVH/RSO
Unread 01-13-2009, 04:14 PM
Visitors

My DH was with me the whole day and a dear friend dropped by for a very short visit (1/2 hour max), which was just enough time. My kids dropped in after their classes were over to relieve my DH so he could go and get a bite to eat, he refused to leave until someone came to stay with me, (like I had plans to go anywhere LOL). And since it was Halloween I made the kids go home to shell out the candy.

The next day was rough, it was like a highway in my room. Thank goodness it was a private room. I was totally exhausted by late afternoon and felt really bad when my youngest arrived from university after sitting on a bus for two hours and I fell asleep. But that was okay he spent the next day with me before he had to leave doing his homework while I dozed on and off.

My brother came by the house one night and I just could not get out of bed so he sat with me in my room. By the weekend I felt up to company and actually came downstairs for a while. Everyone understood when I told them I had to lie down.

Take care of yourself, listen to your body, we only get one chance to do it right.

Good luck
Unread 01-14-2009, 01:01 AM
Visitors

I was in the castle during the worst snowstorm in over 30 years. Drs and nurses were being shuttled in by search and rescue volunteers to keep the hospital running so I was lucky dh was able to make it in to visit (he's an excellent driver.) Everyone was just getting cleaned up from all the snow (we're not set up for that around here) and it warmed up and started to rain and flooded the area. No visitors, no problem.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register