length of hospital stay? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

length of hospital stay? length of hospital stay?

Unread 07-09-2002, 01:23 PM
length of hospital stay?

Hi...I am new here...my surgery is next week, I am having a TAH, vertical incision. I was told that my uterus was enlaged to 14 weeks. I was wondering if a 3-4 day hospital stay, as I was told it would be, is too optimistic??? Also any comments on what to expect the first week post-surgery would be appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-09-2002, 01:49 PM
Hi Jackie,

Welcome to Hyster Sisters. I'm sorry you have to have surgery, but glad that you found us. This is a wonderful site for information and support and I encourage you to read all that you can. The more knowledge you have, the better prepared you will be, and the less fear you will have.

To answer your question, a 2 to 3 night hospital stay is the norm for a TAH. I had a TAH with a bikini incision and was in for three nights. (Click the WWW button under my post to read my bio and sugery and recovery stories.)

Recovery for this surgery is 6 to 8 weeks. And believe me, you'll need that time!

Please feel free to post any questions or concerns you may have. We're here for you 24/7 whenever you need us.

Best wishes and lots of s,

Lisa
Unread 07-09-2002, 02:05 PM
length of hospital stay?

My surgery was on a Tuesday afaternoon and I left on Friday morning. I felt good enough to go home. The first week I walked a little bit outside. Each day I walked one or two morning driveways and back again. The rest of the day I laid on the couch.

Really the first week you will want to be a couch potato. The second week you will feel better. By the third week you'll notice a big difference.

Caution though. Do NOT overdo it. You think you are really good at two weeks and are ready. You are NOT! If you try too much you will hit the wall and have a minor setback. Just follow what your body can handle. Some bounce back faster than others so know one can really say for sure.

I had people bringing us dinners every night. I didn't know there were so many different kinds of chicken dinners, but it was a great help. I wouldn't even think of telling people I had dinners frozen in the freezer

Post when you get home from the Castle and we'll be able to hold your hand all the way.

I'm 5 weeks today!!!

TC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-09-2002, 06:00 PM
length of hospital stay?

I had surgery Tuesday afternoon, had my staples removed Thursday morning and was released Thursday afternoon.

My Dr said I would be a couch potato for the first couple of weeks and she wasn't kidding. I slept, drank, went to the bathroom, and slept some more. After the first couple of weeks I started feeling a little better and stronger each day. I didn't rush it, I took my time getting back to regular type activities. Even at 6 weeks I found I still needed afternoon naps.

Best wishes!
Unread 07-09-2002, 06:06 PM
Jackie

I had my TAH/BSO on Wed. and left the hospital Sat. morning. The first few days were very uncomfortable. I left the hospital with 20 Tylenol 3's. The bottle said to take 1-2 every 3-4 hours for pain. I had to stretch it out so I was taking 1 every 4 hours with 2 Advil. In retrospect, I would have taken 2 every 3 hours and then asked for more when I ran out. As it was, I was in a low level of pain for some time, instead of having some relatively pain free periods. But again, everyone is different.

It was very hard to move around much at first. I spent most of my time on the couch, on my back. This caused its own pain problems in my back and hips, but creative use of lots and lots of pillows helped that. I got up only when I had to go to the bathroom. After 7 days they took out the staples, and that made it a little easier to move. At 5 weeks post-op, I am still "guarding" my every move. Some things still hurt, like bending and twisting.

I laid on my stomach for the first time this week. It was heaven! LOL

Every day I feel better. Remember those first few days and weeks will pass. Try to pamper yourself as much as possible, and take your pain medication. You will get through this!
Unread 07-09-2002, 06:52 PM
length of hospital stay?

My surgery was on Thursday morning, and I went home Saturday morning, which was none too soon! (I had a bothersome roomate and I just don't like hospitals.) The staples were removed the following Tuesday. I was pretty zonked for the first two or three days home but by the end of the first two weeks I no longer needed a daily nap. The first week I was allowed to take walks for 10 - 15 minutes, and then increase by 10 minutes each successive week. All in all my recovery was pretty uneventful, which is what we all wish for!

Just listen to your body and you'll know what is right for you. You'll do great!
Unread 07-09-2002, 07:48 PM
length of hospital stay?

Jackie, I had my TAH(kept the ovaries)on Thursday and went home on Sat.I wanted to go home the next day but my Dr. said NO!!!!!!!!!!!Anyway. Alot depends on your insurance(you know they are paying so they feel they know better then the Dr.)Also how you did during the surgery. I also have noticed from the posting here it also depends where you live and if you have surgery at a teaching hospital.Also how healthy you are prior to surgery. Example if you have a heart problem you might stay in longer. Well Good luck. Waiting is the hardest part!!!!Take care. Angela
Unread 07-09-2002, 09:07 PM
length of hospital stay?

All these posts are excellent ! -- I stayed 2 nights and could not wait to go home. The rule seems to be you must pass gas before they let you out. I walked the halls the 2nd night and drank tea to get my body moving and was so thrilled to be able to go home the next morning. If you are authorized to and feel like staying longer, just listen to your body. It will also depend on your home situation; if you have someone to take care of you and if you have little ones that want your attention it may be better to stay an extra night. Good luck; waiting the last week is hard to do. Make sure you have your pain meds ready for you when you get home and take them a little before you need them the first few days.
Unread 07-09-2002, 10:51 PM
length of hospital stay?

Jackie!!!

You and I are having the exact same surgery!! My doc said these three potato sized tumors and my enlarged ovaries make it so he can't do my TAH vaginally, laporoscopically, or the bikini cut way!!! The ONLY way is a vertical cut......(((sigh!!))) As if I was gonna ever put a dayum bikini on anyway!!! LOL!!!

I am GLAD to hear someone else is having the same kind of cut.

Your surgery is the SAME day as mine also!!! We will share stories later!!!

Cheers!! Keely

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register