Can anyone share? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Can anyone share? Can anyone share?

Unread 06-22-2004, 05:14 PM
Can anyone share?

Hi all!

I have several fibroid tumors, some adhesions from a laparoscopic myomectomy and tubal six years ago and 2 c-sections. I also have adenomyosis and my uterus is the size of a 12 week pregnancy.

My periods have gotten so heavy that I use two super plus tampons at the same time, and have to change them about once an hour.

I am crampy alot of the time and my stomach has pooched out so much that my clothes are very uncomfortable.

My doctor is recommending an abdominal hysterectomy, but only removing my uterus. I am going for a second opinion, but after all the research I've done, I think it would be wise of me to have the procedure done.

My question is probably vain but does anyone have an experience similar to this and if yes, is your stomach flatter without your uterus?

Thanks for your response!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-22-2004, 05:20 PM
Can anyone share?

Hi
I had a THA/BSO and yes mine is flatter. But my uterus was the size of a 6 month pregancy. I don't have much swelly belly but I have used cold compresses since day one of surgery and always wear my binder..I also try very hard not to over do it. (key word try). I am already wearing my size 3/4 pants again. good luck in whatever you do
Unread 06-22-2004, 05:27 PM
Can anyone share?

I too have a similar experience (except for the size 3/4 pants!)
My "6 month" belly did stick out some, but not really like a 6 month pregnancy. I suppose a lot of it grew downward & inward, not only outward like a pregnancy... After surgery a LOT of people said it looked like I lost a lot of weight. I didn't. My size 12 pants fit a lot better, and I had no problems wearing jeans right after surgery--I wore jeans home from the hospital. A lot of people can't--personally I think it's because I lost such a big organ that it HAD to clear space!

I can relate to the 2 super plus tampons thing... One of my last pre-op posts on this site was asking if anyone knew "how" to do that... (side-by-side or end-to-end) Before I even got a chance to read my replies, my surgery was surprisingly changed from August to April! (So I never needed to use tampons anymore...yeahhhh!)

I can tell you that it's been 10 weeks now and I feel better than I have in years. My surgery was less traumatic than getting a cavity filled. Do you think I'm exaggerating? Nope! I've been putting off this dental appt. because I'm SUCH a chicken...but I'd go through the hyster. again w/o a second thought. I had a very easy time with it. I feel for those who don't...and very thankful for my experience. I wish the same for you! Good luck...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-22-2004, 07:18 PM
Can anyone share?

My uterus and 8 fibroids were HUGE. However, I only see my nice, flat tummy in the morning! I suffer from postop swelly belly, which...in my case....is larger than the original. Am certain that by 6-12 months at the very latest, I'll get to keep my flatter tummy!!
Unread 06-22-2004, 09:57 PM
Can anyone share?

GreeneyesinVA,

My 1st Dr. recommended a TAH for very large fibroids. I was not ready to agree to that until I exhausted all alternatives.

My 2nd Dr. recommended a LSH after I did (3) months of lupron shots to shrink my fibroids.

I liked the idea of a less evasive surgery. I just had my uterus removed and I kept my ovaries and cervix.

I am 8 1/2 weeks post op and very pleased!!

I can suggest just gathering all the hyst info. you can. You will make the right decision for yourself!!
Unread 06-23-2004, 05:00 PM
Hoping to see a less "curvy" tummy too

I can totally relate to your hoping to see a flatter tummy. I have fibroids of astronomic proportions and I have had 6 people in the last 6 months ask me if I'm pregnant. Its far more than just a normal "pooch" that many normal women get. I recently lost 30 lbs which I am very proud of, but now it seems to have emphasized my stomach even more. Our body image is a big part of who we are and the comments really cut. It does a big number on your self confidence. I am scheduled for a hysterectomy in Septemer. I have no illusions about coming out of there with a tummy flat as a 15 yr old ... I will be happy to have a normal little curve like everyone else!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register