Questions about healing cuff and more | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Questions about healing cuff and more Questions about healing cuff and more

Unread 02-28-2006, 10:21 PM
Questions about healing cuff and more

Ok, here's a good question. Is it possible that in some cases the cuff just doesn't heal right? I've been bleeding since week 2...almost like a lite period. I can't understand why, for the life of me, this hasn't stopped. Doc knew of my problem, and at last visit said we'd see what was going on next time. That is in two days, and I'm a nervous wreck. Let me tell you why. There's more.

At my last visit I was experiencing horrific odor with my discharge. I mean like death. Doc said that I clearly had some type of bacterial infection and prescribed a very strong antibiotic. He also ordered a CBC and urinalisys. A few days ago I received a call and order for another antibiotic, as I was also diagnosed with a UTI. Lovely. Here's where I'm starting to lose it. Since day one in the hospital I've been experiencing right side pain that runs 3 inches over from my vertical incision. It runs parallel from my navel to the pubic bone, and it's awful, throbbing pain. At many times I have to hold it and support it, as no support garment even comes close to helping comfort it. My incision is fabulous, no pain, no lumps. In that aspect I've healed wonderfully. But this pain to the right... God awful. The odor is coming back again and It's so horrible I can't stand myself. I'm cowering in the house, showering twice a day to find some relief.

I talked to my sister today, who works in an OR as a surgical tech. She's basically a tool counter. I asked her what the likelyhood was that perhaps something was left in there by accident. She asked me about my symptoms and I told her everything. She said that the odor and the dueling infections are a pretty good indication that it was possible. I mean, even with the most thorough of surgeries, when your intestines are lying all over the place I most certainly think that anything is possible. She said to ask the doctor to order an Xray, as EVERYTHING, gauze and sponges included, is Xray detectible. At least that's good news. But how awful an idea to have to go and be cut open again because of such a thing! The possiblility is so scary.

So I guess you could say I have two big issues. Can't make sense of why my cuff isn't healing, and can't figure out why I have these continuing infections(which are not improving), odor and horrific pain. I'm on pins and needles to Thursday, cause somewhere in the back of my head, for one reason or another, I feel like it's back to the castle for me again. (Which will feel like anything but a castle at this point!) Anyone want to have a good cry with me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-28-2006, 10:48 PM

so sorry to hear about your pain i sure hope they didnt leave something in you another trip to the castle would not be fun i hope they find the problem and you get to feeling better soon
Unread 03-01-2006, 06:09 AM

My cuff certainly didn't heal right -- far from it. About two weeks after surgery, I started having a discharge. At first I thought it was normal, but it got progressively worse, and, yes, it did have a terrible odor. I went back to see my surgeon who said it was normal -- BUT IT WAS NOT!! To make a long story short, I started seeing a different doctor and found out I needed more surgery. During the second surgery, the surgeons discovered that I had a hole in the vaginal cuff. The top (internal portion) of the cuff had grown attached to a part of the omentum, and the omentum was having an "inflammatory process" (his words) which created the discharge that burned a hole in the cuff and was coming out through my vagina. Pretty yucky, huh? Anyway, I'm all stitched up now and hoping that the cuff heals correctly this time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-01-2006, 07:44 AM

I am having severe rt pelvic pain. My CT showed air at the cuff.Suggested a repeat CT. I do have some odor from the discharge.??? Will know more next week. I had TAH BSO 1/27.
Good luck on Thursday.
Jenine
Unread 03-01-2006, 08:20 AM

I ended up with a vaginal cuff repair surgery 2 weeks post op. I continuous pain right above my pubic bone and off to the right side. Could almost just press a finger against the area that hurt the most. Never noticed an odor but when the repair was made, there was necrotic (dead) tissue at the cuff that had to be taken out (cut out) and then it was stitched back together. I have been SOOO much more comfortable since the repair. My heart goes out to others going through something similar....I think it is especially hard as you are already exhausted from the original surgery.
Please let us know what happens, I will be thinking of you guys!!!
Unread 03-01-2006, 08:49 AM

Thanks for the input ladies. All sounds like it could be related then. I mean, the thought of having another surgery isn't wonderful, but sure beats the idea of having to search for a foreign body.

Hasn't settled my nerves any, but to hear of things that sound so similar to what I'm going through does give me some prospective answers.

I'll try not to bite all my nails off before tomorrows visit.
Unread 03-01-2006, 11:46 AM

Dear racinlizard,
To answer your first question: YES, it is possible that your cuff has not healed properly. I am not in the medical field as your sister is, but I can speak from personal experience. I am now almost a full 9 months post op for a TVH( uterus/cervix removed vaginally, ovaries both kept) and I had ongoing issues similar to yours that were not taken seriously. As a result, I am scheduled for a laparoscopy on March 6th to repair my cuff and see what else may be going on in there causing the pain on the low right side. The light bleeding and pain are indicative and struck a cord with me in your description. I am thinking you should call your doctor and ask for an appointment ASAP and it might facilitate unnecessary surgery. It may be possible that it could be fixed in the office at this point since you are so soon post op. I am also all too aware of the odor issue. I was put on Flagyl several times and was told I had granulation but was never treated with the silver sticks. The doctor kept telling me I had some type of infection( mentioned vaginosis/ yeast/ vaginitis...etc) until I reminded him I was still bleeding and have not had sex yet. Unfortunately the dcotor that performed my surgery was a general surgeon and if I had it to do over again, I would have sought out a gynecologist instead. Well, in any case, I stress you must be proactive on this. I would hate for you to end up with me. I am not looking forward to another surgery but am looking forward to getting rid of the bleeding and the pain and odor. I wish you the best for a quick and uneventful recovery. Your sis, Tami PS) Just wanted to add that I have been bacteria free on my urinalysis but it has shown microscopic hematuria. I have been seen by a urologist and it was ruled out as being a UTI.
Unread 03-01-2006, 11:57 AM
thinking of you

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamisinfl.
Dear racinlizard,
To answer your first question: YES, it is possible that your cuff has not healed properly. I am not in the medical field as your sister is, but I can speak from personal experience. I am now almost a full 9 months post op for a TVH( uterus/cervix removed vaginally, ovaries both kept) and I had ongoing issues similar to yours that were not taken seriously. As a result, I am scheduled for a laparoscopy on March 6th to repair my cuff and see what else may be going on in there causing the pain on the low right side. The light bleeding and pain are indicative and struck a cord with me in your description. I am thinking you should call your doctor and ask for an appointment ASAP and it might facilitate unnecessary surgery. It may be possible that it could be fixed in the office at this point since you are so soon post op. I am also all too aware of the odor issue. I was put on Flagyl several times and was told I had granulation but was never treated with the silver sticks. The doctor kept telling me I had some type of infection( mentioned vaginosis/ yeast/ vaginitis...etc) until I reminded him I was still bleeding and have not had sex yet. Unfortunately the dcotor that performed my surgery was a general surgeon and if I had it to do over again, I would have sought out a gynecologist instead. Well, in any case, I stress you must be proactive on this. I would hate for you to end up with me. I am not looking forward to another surgery but am looking forward to getting rid of the bleeding and the pain and odor. I wish you the best for a quick and uneventful recovery. Your sis, Tami PS) Just wanted to add that I have been bacteria free on my urinalysis but it has shown microscopic hematuria. I have been seen by a urologist and it was ruled out as being a UTI.
Tamisinfl

I will certainly be thinking of you on March 6th. It was SUCH a letdown to need a second surgery so I can certainly relate to how you are feeling. Mine was repaired vaginally as it happened so close to the original operation, my MD did not feel it necessary to go laparoscopically. Please let us know how everything turns out... I have to tell you, I started to feel better within 2 days, needed nothing more than tylenol post-op and the awful pain above my pubic bone is gone - just spotting now...
take care
Unread 03-01-2006, 11:58 AM

sorry to hear of your complications, but keep up with the dr. My vaginal cuff healed with granulations I had to have them cauterized twice, I bled until wk 6 then nothing....keep healing...
Unread 03-01-2006, 03:36 PM

Thanks again for the posts ladies, and God Bless you all!

Wow Tammi, does sound like the same thing...for the most part. I'm so ready with my list of questions for the doctor tomorrow.

1. Was a post op Xray taken? (Gotta know...have to be sure that they was definitely nothing was left in there. My sister will sleep better knowing. I'll sleep better cause she'll stop calling!)
2. Is it possible I still have cysts? I mean, we went in abdominally, and I had cysts everywhere. Could we have overlooked them being in the vagina? If so, could they be adding to the bleeding? Can it ever be possible that I'll stop making those little suckers???
3. Ok, none of the antibiotic meds are working. The pain persists and so does the bleeding. Is it just the cuff, or do we need more tests to rule out any additional complications? I mean, I haven't had enough tests since this whole thing started! Geez!
4. If I'm going to the hospital, how are you going in? Another incision? (Ugh, I'll be a freakin T'Bone!)
5. How much longer before I can return to work? Sometime this calendar year?
6. How much longer do I have to bleed, and can it be possible that I will never bleed again? Finally! I mean, that's the number one reason I did this! My last 8 month bleeder was supposed to be the last of this!
7. Ummm...I haven't had sex since last June because of bleeding. Can I at least look forward to that in this calendar year???

He's going to pee his pants. I'm in rare form. Being this stagnant, doubled over and still seeing red (by all means, pun intended!) has put me in a whole new place. I swear, if I hadn't lost 28 lbs I'd be skinning him alive. I've opted for killing him with kindness...and sarcasm! This chick has had it!

I'm souping up the crumby laptop right now so I can at least get online when they throw me in the castle tomorrow!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register