I'm such a mess!!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I'm such a mess!!! I'm such a mess!!!

Unread 03-24-2006, 07:41 AM
I'm such a mess!!!

Hello sisters. I've been home for 2 days or 3, I'm not quite sure. I had a TAH, and they left my left ovary in because it was in good shape. Now, my problem is that I have this horrible urge to have a bm ALL the time. When I finally make it into the bathroom, it's just gas, or a little bit of liquid that comes out of my hiney!!!! I'm not liking this feeling at all!!! I'm so uncomfortable, I have no appitite, and really didn't have one in the hospital either. I know that it takes time to adjust, but I just wasn't sure if anybody else has gone through this as well. And it seems the only way that I can pass gas, is on the toilet. That's it. If anyone has any suggestions, or advice, it would make me feel so much better Thanks girls, shannon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-24-2006, 07:49 AM
I'm such a mess!!!

sweetie, if this were me, with what i have been through, i would call the doc and let him/her know that i am feeling alot of pressure, and that i am quite umcomfortable. i would request that an ultrasound is performed. if there is a problem, it is much better to catch things at the beginning. i'm not trying to be a saddist, just practical. hugs to you. heather
Unread 03-24-2006, 08:05 AM
I'm such a mess!!!

Hi Shannon,

For 5 days after I got home, I couldn't have a BM either, and had the gas thing in the bathroom too. I took Milk of Magnesia with lots of water, stool softener and glycerin suppositories and finally had a nice BM on the 6th day.

I too was sick to stomach, no appetite and ran a low grade fever.

It sometimes takes a bit for our bowels to start working well.

Hugs to you!
Dee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-24-2006, 08:11 AM
I'm such a mess!!!

Shannon,

Did your dr tell you that you were able to take anything? Before i even left the hospital my dr said I could take a stool softener with laxative and they were already giving me gas pills. My endo caused me to have IBS and that can be extemely uncomfortable/painful. I did not eat much after my surgery either. My husband was pretty much shoving food down my throat because I didn't want to eat but after a few days it got better. I probably only ate a cup of chili my third day home but that was a huge deal for me. Even though you haven't eaten much there is probably still a need for a bowel movement. I remember when I finally had one, I was so proud. I thought I had this really huge bm, that's what it felt like, but it was the size of a pea. (sorry gross content) So even a very small bm can relieve alot of pressure. Your dr should be able to give you advice on what to take to alleviate the discomfort. It's ok, that's what they get paid for. Give them a call.
Unread 03-24-2006, 08:22 AM
I'm such a mess!!!

Hang in there...it will get better. Bowel and gas problems are the first and for some worst side effects of the surgery. Your body is adjusting and has been through a trauma, you're on pain medication that often causes constipation. Plus, the surgery produces that terrible gas for most people. I had it so bad the doctor wouldn't let me go home. Then they gave me an enema in the hospital and nothing happened! He finally let me go after three nights and it worked out on its on. Try Citrucel....also I used Dulcolax the first time and it helped. After about the first week, it got better, although it still hurt to go for a couple of weeks. But, like the others said, if it is a terrible pressure call the doctor. I did, many times.
Unread 03-24-2006, 08:23 AM
I'm such a mess!!!

Sisters,
your replies are very helpful, and bringing a to my face! I did have a bowel already, well actually I've had about 10 probably!!!! But they are runny when I go. I was in the hospital for 5 days due to a fever also, and they were pumping antibiotics into me. When I was first having the constipation problem, they gave me the milk of magnesia and prune juice (the lovely juice cocktail ) And ever since than, the bm when I do have one is runny. I hate it. hugs, shannon
Unread 03-24-2006, 08:59 AM
I'm such a mess!!!

awww shannon...i can relate. when i came home from the hospital i had no appetite and i felt like i had to really really go..and like another one said on here....i had pea size poop. (sorry to graphic)...i had gas mostly and they tell you not to strain...i found out though..continue drinking lots of water and if you can...try to eat a bowl of oatmeal. surprisingly it helped me. i was so happy when finally i was able to actually have a half way descent BM. It takes time, but i assure you that you'll be back to normal bms soon. Umm..hope this doesn't sound to horrible...but good luck to you....

AnnRuthie
Unread 03-24-2006, 09:33 AM
I'm such a mess!!!

Shannon,
I like the other suggest calling your DR just to be on the safe side.

I myself had loose BMs the first 10 days or so starting when I was at the hospital. I still kept drinking plenty of water and walking all over the house just to make sure I didn't get all bound up from the pain meds and being dormant.
The phone call would only take a short time to do and it will put your mind at rest.
Take care of yourself.
Unread 03-24-2006, 02:37 PM
I'm such a mess!!!

Shannon -
So sorry you are having to deal with bm issues this early in your recovery. I was unable to eat for the first 10 days after the surgery without having really bad (urgent) diahhrea. Lost alot of weight - but it got really old. The pharmacist told me to take some Immodium AD which helped alot. If you take it be careful that you don't over do - or you will have constipation (yes - I did). Believe me - the runny stuff is alot easier to deal with than constipation when you have had abdominal surgery!
Best of luck to you - hang in there. It does get a little better every day.

Mari Luau
Unread 03-24-2006, 04:53 PM
I'm such a mess!!!

You might want to eat some yogurt with live cultures in it since you had so many antibiotics... just a thought. Hope you feel better soon.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register