pain meds at 3 weeks??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

pain meds at 3 weeks??? pain meds at 3 weeks???

Unread 06-13-2006, 11:35 PM
pain meds at 3 weeks???

just curious, how many still on rx pain meds at 3 weeks out, i have had a few days where i didnt need any but the last 2 days have been horrible and have been using 2-3 day??? ibuprofen does not help

feeling weird about it almost guilty for needing them any suggestions??
det67
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-14-2006, 12:00 AM
pain meds at 3 weeks???

I am 3 months post op,still need them sometime,getting less and less. Do not feel guilty or let anyone make you feel that way,if you hurt you hurt! I have cuff problems,and man this has been the most annoying pain I have ever felt,and I do not care what people say,I am not going to go around in pain.
Unread 06-14-2006, 12:10 AM
pain meds at 3 weeks???

Everyone's pain tolerance is different. Don't feel bad about using the meds if you need them. Pain has a very negative impact on the healing process. Are you using the ibuprofen around the clock? If not try using it continuously for a few days to see if it helps some. I used Anaprox DS around the clock for the first few weeks and was off the percocet after the first week. If you're having a sudden increase in pain you may want to check in with the doctor to make sure everything's healing okay also. Hope you're feeling better soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-14-2006, 08:32 AM
pain meds at 3 weeks???

Hey! I had a TAH/BSo on the 24th and had stopped taking the Percocet but had to over the weekend. I was feeling pretty good then did something when I stood up and was right back where I started from. Luckily, I took it really easy Sunday, Monday, and yesterday. By yesterday afternoon I was back to regular Advil and feel pretty good again today. I guess the pain will just come and go for a while. I am being much more careful about how I move and what I do than I was before I hurt myself Sunday. Hope you are feeling beter soon. ~Donna
Unread 06-14-2006, 08:45 AM
pain meds at 3 weeks???

don't be a hero! if you have a headache, you take an asprin right?
this is the same thing! if it hurts it hurts!

I'm down to just one or two a day, but some days it's back to round the clock-listen to your body and take the meds if you need them!
Unread 06-14-2006, 09:13 AM
pain meds at 3 weeks???

Hi! Remember it's not a contest and you have nothing to feel guilty about. Being in constant pain doesn't allow you to heal properly. You know your body the best. Take care of you!
Unread 06-14-2006, 10:20 AM
pain meds at 3 weeks???

Let me add my voice to what others are saying: use the medication you need! You will heal better without pain, because when you are in pain, your body has to adjust to cope. You want your body to focus on healing, not protecting you from that pain. At 3 weeks it's fine to still need real pain medication. Presumably you are not using as much of it as you did right after the operation, and you might have ups and downs--not needing it, then needing it for a bit, then going without, etc. I felt the same way at 3 weeks, worried that I sometimes needed pain medication, but I had nurses whom I really trust tell me over and over, "Don't be a martyr! Treat the pain." In fact, after 4 weeks I didn't use it at all and have barely needed a Tylenol since then.
Unread 06-14-2006, 12:23 PM
pain meds at 3 weeks???

haven`t had that.. but, every-ones differant... yeah, theres days that i could use something stronger....... i`m going on 5 weeks, and some days i feel it. but, ibuproprhen usually takes care of it..
Unread 06-14-2006, 05:03 PM
pain meds at 3 weeks???

I just had my first post op appoint with the Doc and he "scolded" me for not using the pain meds when I have pain. He said that's what they are for! So - go for it. I am not going to feel guilty for taking them when I have pain!
Unread 06-14-2006, 08:11 PM
pain meds at 3 weeks???

I'm 5 weeks today and I still use Ibuprofen on a daily basis. I never got the Percocet filled and just used a few of my Darvocets. I can tell when I don't use Ibuprofen because my whole body aches. Ibuprofen is an anti-inflammatory and will help with the swelling that you may be having that is causing your pain. I tried to not take it some days but would end up doing so at the end of the day. I know it sounds like 3 weeks is a long time because you're looking on the outside, but on the inside, things are still bad and you need your meds. I have a high pain tolerance because I was silly and didn't have my hyst years ago like I should have.

Take care,
Rose

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register