shortness of breath | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

shortness of breath shortness of breath

Unread 01-26-2008, 07:33 PM
shortness of breath

anyone have any shortness of breath? I'm 9 days post op and sometimes it feels like i have to take a really deep breath but feels like its almost difficult like as if i were having an asthma flare up altho i dont have asthma on a regular basis. ?? Its not severe but just a little bothersome. I wondered if it could just be that things are still irritated from the breathing tube put down my throat during surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-26-2008, 07:44 PM
shortness of breath

I have the same question. I am 3-4 days out and it hurts to breathe. Hopefully someone else comes along and has reassurance for our breathing difficulties.
good luck in your recovery.
Julie-Your sister in trying to breath air.
Unread 01-26-2008, 07:51 PM
shortness of breath

Before I started using my Vivelle patch, I would have palpitations and shortness of breath (not always together, though.) I felt like I was breathing through a mask. I felt like there was a filter between my throat and the top of my chest. It scared me half to death! BUT after I started with the hormones that went away gradually and it hasn't happened since.

Since you're so soon in your recovery, be sure to ask your doctor about it though to make sure you don't have any other issues. But I did have that problem and it did go away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-26-2008, 07:52 PM
shortness of breath

Let me start by saying, I am not a medical professional - but

If it is severe shortness, make sure you are not having some type of fluid build up!
Get checked if it is really difficult.

Deep breathe on purpose - heavy feeling? Hurt? Hard? Have yourself listened to by - hmmm, it is Sat. evening - ER if you have to.

Keep us posted!

Carol
Unread 01-26-2008, 07:57 PM
shortness of breath

When I was discharged from the hospital I was told to call the doctor immediately if I experienced any shortness of breath. Call your doctor, and if you aren't able to reach him or her, call the ER and ask to speak to the physician on call. It may be nothing but it's better to err on the side of caution.
Unread 01-26-2008, 07:59 PM
shortness of breath

Here's a link about shortness of breath.
http://familydoctor.org/online/famdo...mptom/521.html
You should call your doctor for diagnosis.
I hope it isn't anything too serious.
I hope you're feeling better soon!
Unread 01-26-2008, 08:32 PM
shortness of breath

Did they give you one of those breathing things at the hospital? Not sure what it's called but you use it to increase/keep lung capacity. I got one the first day and I'll tell ya, it hurt like heck to take a deep breath. But I used it faithfully for about a week to try to keep my lungs healthy. I have had shortness of breath since I've been home but they tell me it's not uncommon with anemia. I agree with the others though - give your doctor or the ER a call. You don't want to ignore something that could easily get worse without treatment. Good luck!
Unread 01-26-2008, 08:34 PM
shortness of breath

Cindamae & Kettlehorn - I dont mean to frighten you, but you really need to get evaluated ASAP to make sure you do not have a pulmonary embolism or pneumothorax - both potential complications from surgery & life-threatening situations
Unread 01-26-2008, 08:47 PM
shortness of breath

While I agree with the others, you should contact your doctor. I do have a question. Are you taking pain medications? I was taking Lortab and one of its side effects was shortness of breath. It recommends taking a lower dose if this occurs.

Best wishes to you.
Unread 01-26-2008, 08:52 PM
shortness of breath

Hey Girls! I Am A Registered Nurse In Cardiology. I Had A Tlh, Keeping My Ovaries On January 2, 2008. I Experienced The Shortness Of Breath, Chest Pain, Pain On Inhalation, Along With Pain In My Left Calf 4 Days Post-op & Contacted My Ob/gyn Immediately, Because It Scared Me To Think That I May Have A Pe Or A Dvt. My Doctor Told Me To Go Straight To The Er, Especially If That Is What I Thought It Was. So, Of Course I Went Scare To Death, My Dh By My Side. The Er Doctor Immediately Sent Me For A Chest Ct With Contrast To Evaluate For A Pe, And Then Sent Me To The Vascular Lab For Bilateral Lower Extremity Dopplers ( This Is An Ultrasound Of The Veins In Your Legs To Check For Blood Flow & Clots). Luckily My Chest Ct Turned Out To Be Negative, But I Did Have A Dvt (deep Vein Thrombosis Ie: Blood Clot) In My Left Calf. They Then Started Their Lovenox Protocol, Which Is A Blood Thinner Shot That You Receive In Your Stomach Every 12 Hrs Or Daily Depending On How Your Doctor Orders It. Believe Me, It's Not The Most Comfortable Shot In The World To Get. Any Time That I've I Had To Give It To Patients I Always Tell Them That It's Going To Feel Like A Bee Sting. I Never Realized How True That Was, Ouch!!! Any Way, I Don't Want To Scare You, But I Do Want You To Call Your Doctors/or The On Call Doctor & Let Them Know What Your Symptoms Are And How You Are Feeling. At Least By Doing This It Will Give You Some Peace Of Mind.
Let Me Know What You Decide To Do. I Hope Everything Is Okay.
Your Friend,
Karen, Rn
Tlh For Endometriosis/adenomyosis
Kept Ovaries

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register