Total Abdominal Hysterectomy on 3/12!!! Any helpful tips to prepare for my surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Total Abdominal Hysterectomy on 3/12!!! Any helpful tips to prepare for my surgery Total Abdominal Hysterectomy on 3/12!!! Any helpful tips to prepare for my surgery

Unread 03-05-2014, 12:40 PM
Total Abdominal Hysterectomy on 3/12!!! Any helpful tips to prepare for my surgery

Hi ladies, I've been reading all I can on this site for the last 87 days when I got my date. I'm so happy to be here with you wonderful women!! You are all so helpful!!! Thank you. My total abdominal hysyerectom is next Wednesday . My doc didn't order a bowel cleanse but I'm usually constipated a lot so it started taking miralax yesterday and have dolculax to help get me a little cleaned out before the big day. My house is pretty much cleaned up. Bought a new bed, yay!!! Our old one was terrible . Going food shopping for easy meals tomorrow . My disabled dad and 13 yr old daughter will need easy stuff to cook. My hubby cannot take much time off with me being out so long . Any last minute tips will be greatly appreciated!!! O I will be getting gas- x and belly binder hopefully tomorrow to.. Ugh nervous and can't wait to have this behind me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-05-2014, 01:14 PM
Re: Total Abdominal Hysterectomy in 7 days !!! Any helpful tips to prepare for my sur

I found cooking up meals and freezing them for my family turned out to be a really good idea, it was better for my peace of mind as well as their busy schedules while I was in the hospital and just after I came home. Good luck with your surgery.
Unread 03-05-2014, 01:47 PM
Re: Total Abdominal Hysterectomy in 7 days !!! Any helpful tips to prepare for my sur

I hope that you have some other activities to help you stay busy until your big day.....this definitely helps and once it's over, you will be very happy. I had my TAH on February 24 and I feel very good, except for a little incision pain. I will be happy when I am released to return to work, even if it's part time, as long as I can continue to feel well. Good luck with everything!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-05-2014, 01:56 PM

Just wanted to say hi,and it sounds like you've done most things already.Thats lovely having a new bed,you will really appreciate it. my tips would be to try and relax and eat healthy nourishing things.keep yourself occupied with things you enjoy and don't be over thinking stuff.You,ll be fine.take care
Unread 03-05-2014, 02:02 PM

Hi,
I'm one week post op. I bought this thing at a local dollar store, it's called The Grabber. I have read other Sisters found it at Target. I love it because you can pick up things off the floor, without bending. Your getting the Binder, that has helped me a lot, even though my incisions are small, I still like wearing it.

Good luck to you!
Unread 03-05-2014, 02:08 PM

Thank you ladies!!! I've been doing a lot to try to stay busy. I decided two weeks before my hubby's bday to throw him a surprise bday party which will be this Sunday 3 days before my surgery . I've never given him a party and he has been my ROCK through all of my issues. So definately trying to stay busy. We are doing our big food shopping trip tomorrow and I do want to cook up some meals to freeze. Going to make some chili in the next few days. Made it last week to freeze and everyone ate it all.. Lol so will try again making more this time. Thanks again ladies I'm anxious to get this one behind me. I hope you are all doing well to
Unread 03-05-2014, 02:08 PM

For the next week drink a lot of water each day. It will help with the constipation and also make sure you are well hydrated before the surgery. Then make sure you drink lots in the hospital. I did juice right away afterwards. Prune, orange and cranberry all,helped with energy when you really don't feel like eating and getting you started going. It was for days before I did but partially I think that was that my stomach didn't feel like it was ready for solid food.
Remember to pack light for the castle. You really won't want to do much but sleep, drink, wnd walk.
Also when you get home get yourself up every hour or so and take a short walk around the room, to the bathroom or to get water or food.
I also agree with and did many of the thing you and other have mentioned here. You could also read the posts at the bottom of this thread.
Good luck, and will be looking for you update in a couple of weeks.
Hugs,
Anndy
Unread 03-05-2014, 02:21 PM

Great tips especially the grabber. I still use mine daily and I am 5 weeks post op. Take earplugs and an eye mask into hospital if you are a light sleeper. I made up a little bag of these things and other stuff like handcream, throat lozenges tissues iPod. This can be put on bed next to you or table and saves you asking help from nurses as you wont be able to get into your bag easily. I had a tickle in my throat for a few weeks after, maybe from anaesthesia. Buy big knickers as you wont want anything tight on your tummy. Use a clothes rack to hang washing on (like most women it seems we are back to doing laundry after a few weeks! Hopefully your daughter can help) good luck I hope it all goes well and you come out feeling better than before! The first night is a bit rough but it should just get better every day. I have a very low pain threshold and have coped fine with the pain. Hugs from Australia!!
Unread 03-05-2014, 03:04 PM

Most has already been said. If you're having your ovaries removed buy a fan for the hot flushes. Mine is a godsend and I am never without it. Big comfy knickers are a must too. Good luck. I had a TAH 4 weeks ago and it was nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be. :-)
Unread 03-05-2014, 03:11 PM

Oh yes hot flushes!! I kept ovaries but they forgot their job for a few weeks!! The flushes have settled now but they were dreadful for a while there!! New found respect for my mum and all the other ladies who endure these through menopause!! My time will come again in a few years!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register