Help at home | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 12-05-2005, 04:00 PM
Help at home

Help Please:

Didn't really have time to think about the hyster...found this site and have been reading away...tremendous help.
Surgery is scheduled this Saturday, 12/10/05, Total, abdominal

My Question is "How much help do I need at home?" I have 2 sons (18 & 21) that is all, can they do it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-05-2005, 04:53 PM
Help at home

Hi, your sons should be able to give you the help that you'll need. Your recovery will depend on the type of hyst and if you have anything extra done at the same time as well as your personal health. I had a tah/bso and only needed someone to help with the heavy stuff, running errands etc after I got home. I wasn't moving fast but was not really bedridden either. I willingly "allowed" my DH and DD to take care of me for awhile. They made sure that I had my meds, water, light meals all handy.

Maybe you could make a list of what you would like your sons to do before you go into the hospital. That way, they'll have a written reminder of what you need.

Your dr should give you a list of restrictions before you get discharged. I had a restriction on lifting anything over 5 pounds at first, some have restrictions about bathing or showers etc. Have your boys prepared to do the heavy housework - I had a no vacumning for 6 weeks. Tried to tell my DH that it was forever but he didn't buy that

Best wishes.

S
Unread 12-05-2005, 04:53 PM
Help at home

Hi There,

With boys this age they should be able to help you sufficiently so long as they're willing. However you'll have to be patient with them and realise they possible won't do things to your standards.

If they are prepare to help you could perhaps write lists of chores that need done daily and another for what needs doing in order of necessity as they have time. That way you won't be nagging and they won't feel you are.

Wishing you all the best.............Karen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-05-2005, 05:37 PM
Help at home

Yes, they can certainly do everything at home. Make sure they do.
Unread 12-05-2005, 08:01 PM
Help at home

You may want to get a female to come by and help with your first few showers. The boys can do everything else.
Unread 12-05-2005, 08:49 PM
you are awesome!!!!

Thank you so much for all the replies, you are awesome!! I was really worried if my boys could handle it...but you are right, they need to learn and understand that Mom needs help too. I believe it will be a very good lesson and experience for them. I really did need the reassurance that it was going to be ok, and that not having a "significant other" would not really be an important issue. Thank you so much for your support and for this wonderful site. Yes, I am nervous, but I will return when I get home.

Unread 12-05-2005, 11:24 PM
Help at home

I agree about getting someone to assist with the first couple of showers. I think with their ages in mind, they certainly are capable of everything else you're going to need.
Unread 12-06-2005, 12:05 AM
Help at home

DH says a woman in Home Depot (obviously a Hyster-Sister) told him I shouldn't clean windows for A YEAR. I agree!
Unread 12-06-2005, 12:08 AM
Help at home

If you are a milk drinker you may want to get half gallons or smaller-- DH swears the gallons are over 5lbs, but I never weighed one. Every day he refilled a single serve bottle of milk for my coffee for about 3 weeks! I was SO happy when I could finally pick up the milk again!!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register