Need suggestions for helping pass BM | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Need suggestions for helping pass BM Need suggestions for helping pass BM

Unread 08-03-2009, 11:41 PM
Need suggestions for helping pass BM

hello im 39 and i had my surgery done on 7/28 and im doing fairly well ..i had the vaginal surgery and the doctor was pleased with that. i was also able to keep both my ovaries as well. i was hoping maybe someone can give some advice as to how to make it more pleasant to go to the restroom to pass your second BM...i am struggling . . . . . i am taking stool softerners and drinking water and eating soft foods, but when it comes to using the restroom its a great challenge...the stools are soft, its the strain to get them out...please help!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-04-2009, 07:46 AM
Re: Need suggestions for helping pass BM

Hi (((SueQ69)))

I sure know what that feels like. Have you spoken to your doctor? Perhaps they will tell you that it is okay to take a laxative--something you don't want to do on a regular basis since your body can become dependent on them, but you don't want to have to strain either. That can cause it's own problems. I hope that you find a solution soon!

Unread 08-04-2009, 08:21 AM

It really will get better but in the meantime, how much stool softener are you taking? I took 2 in the AM and 2 in the PM. I've now backed off to 2 in the AM and 1 in the PM and it's working fine. If you're still on pain meds, you'll need the max though. I also ate a few orange essence prunes each morning and drank a lot of water or tea during the day. Hang in there
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-04-2009, 09:57 AM

I had issues with constipation before this surgery so I really had some problems. I am not doing all this now, but for a while I was drinking metamucil a.m. and p.m.,taking a 240 mg stool softener in the a.m.,eating orange essence prunes,having raisin bran for breakfast,drinking Goodbelly(available at Whole Foods) and taking two senna (a natural laxative) at night. Even with ALL that I was occasionally using a suppository. I had a huge rectocele and was really afraid of ruining(?) the surgery. I'm finally able to pull back on all this, so it does get better!
Unread 08-04-2009, 12:17 PM

My surgery was also July 28th and I haven't had a BM yet. This morning I spent 45 minutes on the toilet in excruciating pain from my ribs down to my pelvis and there was nothing. I've been drinking a lot of water, tried two different stool softeners/laxitives over the past 5 days and am now on my way to the store to get a bunch of recommended high fiber foods-as now I am afraid to eat anything! The pain overall is now worse since this morning and I hope it is just from being a little "clogged up". If I find something that works for me - I'll let you know and maybe it will help with your second one!

Lots of luck! I sure never expected BMs to be such a pain!
Unread 08-04-2009, 12:45 PM
Need suggestions for helping pass BM

I agree with the other suggestions. High fiber foods like oatmeal, fiber one bars, prunes, lots of liquids, fresh fruits like apples and my doctor prescribed a stool softener that contains a laxative. I took two a day for thirty days. I also added metamucil when I needed an extra push. The other thing that helps is walking. Even just around the house from room to room . It does get easier. The first few times are the hardest and even the first weeks were challenging for me. But it did get better.
Unread 08-04-2009, 01:03 PM

Ladies!!
SUPPOSITORIES!!!! If it's ready to come out and won't you need help getting that part of the process stimulated enough to go- serioulsy I couldn't go without them for weeks- just plain old glycerin suppositories- do not push!!!! I haven't had to so much as hold my breath since before the surgery, sometimes the exit is still sleepy from surgery although everything else is working.

kup
hugs
Unread 08-04-2009, 01:19 PM

Hi hun
as a sufferer of endometriosis i battled constipation and inability to go that problem nearly tripled after my hysterectomy
anywho what i did was take a teaspoon of epsom salts in juice or water, it always worked within a half hour to fourty five minutes.
of course the girls here are right you should always consult ur doc before taking anything even otc remedies
take care hun
Unread 08-04-2009, 03:48 PM

I 2nd the glycerin suppositories. It worked for me and was recommended by the pharmacist. If you're really concerned, ask you dr. but don't keep piling a ton of stuff into your system and hoping for the best.
Unread 08-04-2009, 04:57 PM

Hello fellow sisters,

If you are keeping hydrated (lot's of water), taking the fibre pills, eating some prunes/figs etc, and still having a challenge with BM's.... Glycerine Suppositories need to be on your post-op list of things at home.
A little k-y jelly and a rubber glove for insertion - you don't need to place it in very far. Go lay down in your bed for 30 mins then head to your thrown and DO NOT PUSH!

The slippery dissolved glycerine is like going down a waterslide. Highly recommended to be used on a daily basis to help the poop-shoot!

Good luck!

Post op 8 day's laperotomy hyster:
Kootneay Hiker

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register