What can I expect? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What can I expect? What can I expect?

Unread 03-17-2002, 04:48 PM
What can I expect?

I've never posted to a message board of any kind so please be patient.

I'm looking for advice on what I can expect if I choose to remove my uterus due to fibroids. I had 2 removed vaginally 4 years ago and the results were fantastic. Now they've grown back bigger and cause more pain with each passing month.

My 58 year old sister suffered with fibroids too and her sx removed uterus and tubes. One year later and she still regrets her decision and has nothing good to say about the operation. The hormone replacement therapy she's on is causing all kinds of problems and she's lost the ability to enjoy sex. Problems with scar tissue make it impossible for her to dance or walk for any long periods of time.

I'm 43 and the thought of instant menopause scares me. I wonder if I'll be able to achieve orgasm or even want to have sex after surgery. My DR doesn't intend on taking my tubes and says I won't have to go on HRT.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-17-2002, 04:58 PM
Keeping Ovaries?

Hi TCB -
I am also 43 and had an abdominal hysterectomy on 2/13/02. I am still in the healing stages so I can't comment on sex yet but I just want to tell you that I kept my ovaries and just had my uterus and cervix removed due to fibroids and polyps. I have had a very smooth recovery with no complications. Since I kept my ovaries I did not have to go on HRT. Some people say they have mood swings and stuff after their hysterectomies even if they keep their ovaries because their ovaries go on strike for a while but I have had no problems with anything like that.

My sister-in-law had a tough time, just like your sister is having. She had to have her ovaries removed due to endometriosis. She gained 30 pounds and just cannot seem to find the right hormone treatment for her. But if you are keeping your ovaries it shouldn't be a problem for you.

It's a tough decision and I wish you well in your decision. Remember to ask your doctor all the questions you have before you make your decision. Best of luck to you.
Polly
Unread 03-17-2002, 05:08 PM
What can I expect?

Hi, TCB,

Welcome to Hystersisters. I'm glad that you found us because there's lots of information here that will help you to make up your mind about your surgery.

The home page has drop down menus full of advice for pre-op and post-op ladies. (Click onto the 3 Princesses at the top left of this screen to get there).

Of course, everyone's experience is different, but I think most of us, after we are healed, have not found any measurable difference in our sex lives, and in alot of cases, because there is no more pain, it is much better.

I am sorry to hear about your sister, and hope that she will find a doctor who can help her soon. If she has a computer, you could tell her about the Hormone Jungle, and she might want to post on that message board. The ladies there are very knowledgeable
about hormone replacement therapy and may have some suggestions for her to talk over with her doctor.

Here's a link to the Jungle:

http://www.hormonejungle.com/

Be sure to read as much as you can and keep on posting.

's

Karen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-18-2002, 04:08 AM
Kept one ovary

I had surgery for an enlarged uterus and multiple huge fibroids. My right ovary was okay, so the dr left it. What is your dr taking out of you? Is there any way you can keep one ovary? This will mean you don't necessarily need HRT. I know I don't need it. I had a blood test done only last week and the one ovary I have is working fine. Please discuss this with your doctor.

I am now 14 weeks post and this is the best thing I have ever done for my body. The sex is just as good as pre op, actually probably better, as now there is no pain.

Regards and best wishes.

Gail
Unread 03-18-2002, 09:25 AM
What can I expect?

Hi and welcome to Hystersisters!

You are definitely doing the right thing by researching all your options, and making sure you have the information you need to make the best decision for YOU.

I had a TAH (Total Abdominal Hysterectomy) due to fibroids, removing my uterus and cervix. I kept my ovaries, so did not have to go on HRT.

It's been a year and a half now, and I am still VERY glad I had the surgery. I feel wonderful, sex is great, and I love never having to worry about bleeding, cramps or birth control.

My recovery was complication-free, but it was still more difficult than I thought it would be. I was extremely fatigued, swollen and sore, but I would still make the same decision again.

Please continue researching, and discussing all your options with your doctor, so you make the right decision for you. Good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register