35 y/o Considering Hyst but cant have HRT | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

35 y/o Considering Hyst but cant have HRT 35 y/o Considering Hyst but cant have HRT

Unread 01-06-2010, 04:24 PM
35 y/o Considering Hyst but cant have HRT

Hello, I have an unusual medical history and was wondering if anyone can help answer some of my questions.

I am 34, married, and have no children (by choice). I had a DVT about 15 years ago as a result of birth control pills (estrogen caused) so had a tubal shortly after I got married.

After my tubal, my periods got worse so I was given the ok to go on Depo since it is estrogen only. Depo stopped my periods and everything was fantastic for a year until I ended up with a second DVT. After that, I was basically told there were no other options for me.

My periods continue to get more and more intolerable. To make matters worse, I suffered from a pulmonary embolism in March and now am limited to pain meds due to my blood thinners.
I have a new GYN and she has recommended a hysterectomy to which I am now really considering it. My mom had one around my age and said it was the best thing she ever did.

I will not be able to have any hormone replacement therapy due to the DVT’s and PE. What can I expect once the ovaries are removed without having HPT?
This is the one and only thing I am concerned about. I will be meeting with gyn next week but wanted to see if anyone out there could tell me more?

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-06-2010, 05:00 PM
Re: 35 y/o Considering Hyst but cant have HRT

Hi sbo and welcome!

Surgical menopause symptoms can range from creating extreme, intolerable havoc (as it did for me) or barely being noticeable...it depends on the patient. And, as far as I know, there is really no way in advance to predict how a sudden absence of hormones will affect and impact any one patient.

It's good you're asking questions! My advice is to ask the gynecologist what she/he feels you can expect, and if you are suffering without hormones, how that issue can be remedied without the use of HRT.

Best of luck to you on your upcoming quest for better health!

s,
Unread 01-06-2010, 09:36 PM

Everyone's experience is so different but I will share mine. I had everything removed and am 40 years old. I had no hot flashes and really felt OK for the first couple of months other than a constant headache which went away after 6 weeks or so. I am not on HRT.

The 2nd couple of months I felt pretty out of balance. I never felt alert or focused and my emotions were all over the place. That seems to have balanced out now.

I think either way (HRT or not) we all experience emotional imbalance at first to some degree or another. That may be hormonal or may be the shock to our bodies or a little of both. I've had people tell me that I just HAVE to take hormones and others who say I'll do fine without them.

This probably didn't help much but I just wanted you to know that it is possible to do OK without HRT.

Take care and best wishes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-07-2010, 04:58 AM

Are your ovaries bad? Is there a reason they are removing them? I would ask your Dr about that.
Good luck
Unread 01-07-2010, 06:45 PM

I had a TAH/BSO in May of 1999 when I was 52 years old. Three weeks later I had a DVT so I, too, am unable to take HRT. For the first year or so I suffered from frequent and severe hot flashes, sometimes 3 and 4 in an hour. My doctor put me on Effexor, which helped tremendously. After 4 years or so I decided to stop the Effexor (under the supervision of my doctor). Once I stopped, I realized my hot flashes were not as frequent nor were they as severe. I get only occasional hot flashes now.

I'm very even tempered, not moody at all. I have had several bone density tests and so far my bones are fine...no signs of osteoporosis. I've always liked yogurt and I eat a lot of it, so maybe that is what's helping in that department.

May I ask why you're having your ovaries removed? If they are healthy you could benefit by keeping them.

The important thing is to talk to your doctor about this ahead of time. Together you will be able to decide what is best for you.
Unread 01-08-2010, 01:25 AM

(((sbo))) I would also question why you want to have your ovaries removed at such a young age.

How well you'd tolerate surgical menopause without HRT depends on a lot of factors, and everyone is different. Generally, though, the symptoms are worse for women who are younger, thinner, more active and/or under a lot of stress. Women who are overweight tend to have an easier time of it because our bodies are able to make and store the weak estrogen called estrone in abdominal fat cells -- that is why menopausal women often put on extra fat around the middle, it's the body's way of trying to increase its production of estrogen once the ovaries aren't pulling their weight anymore.

I do use HRT, but at one point tried to cut way back on it, with disastrous results. I did not have "hot flashes" in the traditional sense. My symptoms were very severe bone pain (so bad I could not walk unassisted), migraine, anxiety, insomnia and blood pressure so high I ended up in the ER. I plan to stay on HRT for the foreseeable future.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

s,
-Linda
Unread 01-08-2010, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferbabe View Post
I do use HRT, but at one point tried to cut way back on it, with disastrous results. I did not have "hot flashes" in the traditional sense. My symptoms were very severe bone pain (so bad I could not walk unassisted), migraine, anxiety, insomnia and blood pressure so high I ended up in the ER. I plan to stay on HRT for the foreseeable future.
In my previous reply I was focusing more on symptoms such as hot flashes and mood swings, the more common complaints of menopause. After reading Linda's reply I'm reminded of the fact that I have osteoarthritis in my spine and my knee. I was only recently told that this could be due to low estrogen levels. The pain isn't constant, but can be dibilitating.

Because of your young age, I would definitely suggest keeping your ovaries if at all possible. You have the luxury of time on your side. Please use that time to research all options available to you before you agree to a hysterectomy.

Best of luck to you in whatever you decide.
Unread 01-08-2010, 10:57 AM

Catherine.... the Effexor helped with the hot flashes??? I had mine removed in October & because of breast cancer can't have any hormones. They just put me on Evista to help with the bones but it intensifies the hot flashes & insomnia. Did the Effexor really work?? I don't think it has hormones I wonder would my Oncologist let me take that.
Unread 01-08-2010, 11:01 AM

Yes, it really did help. There are also other SSRI prescriptions that can be used, not only Effexor.
Unread 01-08-2010, 11:14 AM

reading I just saw clonidine helped some on here with hot flashes & insomnia that might help even better. I am so tired of not sleeping & being hot I keep my heat at 66 when everyone in my house turns it upo to 70 I feel like I am on death row

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register