Has anyone had to have their incision reclosed? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Has anyone had to have their incision reclosed? Has anyone had to have their incision reclosed?

Unread 06-05-2009, 08:19 PM
Has anyone had to have their incision reclosed?

Today I went to the and they had to re-open the part of my incision that was closed and pack about 10 inches of it with gauze.. I now have to have a home health nurse come every day to re-pack the gauze. The said that this might now take 6 weeks to heal. He said that if the fluid seems to drain out well, They will probably take me back into the er to reclose the incision and try to re-suture and staple it. Right now he said I really dont have many resctrictions other then lifting and just to keep it clean.. it is not infected and otherwise looks good (for a gaping 10 inch hole in your stomach)
Any advice ??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-06-2009, 09:50 AM
Re: Has anyone had to have their incision reclosed?

ChattieBarb

I'm sorry you're experiencing this and hope that any others, who can relate, will be along soon to share.

In the meantime, it may help you to try a Google Search of HysterSisters (towards the top right of every page) to find similar experiences.

Sending all good wishes as you continue to heal!

Unread 06-06-2009, 10:52 AM

Chattie - I was going to have my incision re-closed, but due to it getting infected, my OB/GYN decided it was best to go to wound care, and I now have a wound vac. I would be careful and ask a lot of questions. My doc was concerned that if he did take me back in to the OR and re-close, that I might face the same problem again, so that is why I am on the wound vac now. I have found other sisters out there who have had similar experiences with the wound vac like I am on, and they have said it was worth doing it, as they healed up nice, and quicker than without it. Good luck to you, and keep your chin up!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-06-2009, 10:07 PM

Thank you purple gypsy. I know that if they can reclose it, it will shorten my recovery time.. My incision is so deep, it worries me that it might take several more months. I really have to get back to work. that is my major concern with this.. I had not planned on taking more then 6 weeks off.
Unread 06-06-2009, 11:04 PM

(((ChattieBarb))) I'm so sorry you're dealing with all of this right now. I know you're not having any fun.

My incision didn't have to be closed a second time -- they left it mostly open from the outset. It was a hip-to-hip incision due to my having a panniculectomy along with my TAH.

What I know is this: the healing can't really be hurried along. They told me that the area would eventually heal and that I needed to just keep it clean and as dry as possible. I learned to be patient, but it was not easy.

My incision took 10 weeks to close, but it did close on its own. At some places, the gap was 3 inches (from the top edge of the incision to the bottom edge). My DH (bless him) changed my bandages twice a day and kept me informed on my progress each day.

I went back to my full-time job after 6 weeks. I was just very careful and until my incision was closed I took it very easy and rested quite a bit.

If you do return to work and the incision isn't closed, you'll want to keep bandages on it. This will also help in case the area is leaking any fluid.
Unread 06-07-2009, 12:09 AM

thank you MJD..
well perhaps I may not have to stay home the entire time. I think that it would be hard to do, but not impossible.
My insicion right now is open and it is 20 cm long and very deep. I want to say about 6 inches. It takes a whole role of curlex to pack it right now. I am very lucky in the sense that it is uncomfortable but not extremely painful like some people are saying. my daughter is going to change the packing once a day and the hh nurse will do the other.
We will see what they say.. I will probably too have to learn how to be patient.. the nurse today said it will probably take 3 months to close
Unread 06-07-2009, 09:15 AM

Hello Chattie,

I am going through the same problem right now. I have vertical incision and it opened in 3 weeks after the surgery. It opened toward lower end for about 1 inch, but very-very deep. Also cavity was much bigger underneath of incision. It, of course, slowed my recovery. Initially i wanted to go back to work in 4 weeks, but took whole 6 weeks (eventhough, I have a desk job, not very physically demanding). I did not have wound vac, but was going to my doctor office 2-3 times per week for packing for first 2-3 weeks to keep incision open and give it chance to heal inside out. He also put me on antibiotics, but I did not have any infeciton.
When I went back to work it was still open and I kept abdominal pads (you could buy them at any pharmacy) over my abdomen. Now, by my 6 week, it is still open, but cavity srinked considerable and it is not so deep. I am going to doctor office only once per week and my DH is cleaning incision every morning. It helps to do it in morning because you are going to be more active and more discharge will come out on its own. Also further in time, you will be able to see it getting smaller much faster.
Unfortunately we have to go through it, but it will gets better. Good luck to you.
Unread 06-07-2009, 10:32 AM

thanks sister 70 for the info. I hope that this will go fast.. they said it will maybe 3 months to heal up. It is 5 inches deep right now, hopefully it will close up quickly or enough so that I can go back to work. It is very frustrating and makes me feel a littl down.. but I have to just do what I need to , in order to get better. I will certainly be glad when this is all over.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register