TAH Pressure from the BOSS. 4 wks post hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pressure from the BOSS.  4 wks post hysterectomy Pressure from the BOSS. 4 wks post hysterectomy

Unread 03-06-2014, 02:04 AM
Pressure from the BOSS. 4 wks post hysterectomy

Hello all,

I am... to say the least, irritated. I've been doing quite well since my surgery, nothing major happening, and very thankful! ...But... My boss is pressuring me to come back to work, and I'll be 4 weeks post-op tomorrow. It's frustrating. I'm currently having problems with night sweats and insomnia, and little bouts of discomfort in my incision area ( itching, twinges of pain ) when I'm up and about a lot of the time. I have an appt with my GP at 6 weeks exactly, but this woman seems to not give a god darn what my doctor thinks, and wants me back when SHE wants me back! Should I call my GP and get an earlier appt? Should I just give my body time to rest? ...I feel guilty that I'm not further along in my recovery, and ANNOYED that I have someone trying to rush me through it! ...Also feeling a bit like a dram queen at this point. Any advice, ladies? Anyone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-06-2014, 02:29 AM
Re: Pressure from the BOSS. 4 wks post hysterectomy

First of all, I wouldn't feel guilty at all. This is a major surgery and needs to be treated like one. Everybody heals at there own pace. Initially my Dr. said 4-6 weeks for recovery time but when he sent the completed paperwork to my employer he put 6-8 weeks. So if I'm not 100% at 6 weeks then I will take the extra 2 weeks. I don't know what your job is but mine is sitting all day. You need to feel comfortable going back to work. Good luck & I hope it all works out for you.
Unread 03-06-2014, 03:06 AM

If you hv the sick time or hv bn approved for leave i would not go back. Your boss has proven that she does not care a **** about you. Now I understand that you are a valued and needed employee BUT if you rush back and become ill and hv to take more time off who does that help.. Your job may not be Hard labor butgetting to work can be a chore from long car/bus rides carrying heavy brief case walking longer distances etc..
& remember this
As harsh as it seems if you were to God Forbid, pass away 2morrow your boss would hv simeone new in your seat before you were underground. Take care of yourself and STOP answering the phone... Unless they are sending u flowers or ur friends a texting to check on you work should not be calling.. THEY KNOW WHEN YOU ARE DUE BACK..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-06-2014, 06:41 AM

What is with people doing that? Don't let her guilt you into ignoring doctor's orders. Your doctor knows better than your boss when you'll be able to return.

Also, for legal reasons many workplaces will not allow you to return until you are cleared for work by your doctor. You have not been cleared yet and reminding your boss of that and your expected return date (that I assume she already has) should end the conversation.
Unread 03-06-2014, 07:02 AM

FMLA!!! A little federal law!!!

I sit all day at work. It is more uncomfortable than you can imagine. I went back at 4 weeks. I told my dr last week that it was a HUGE mistake.

I work for a complete jerk. I did not come back b/c of him, that's for sure. Honestly, I didn't know better as I thought I was supposed to feel crappy at work. When I discussed my time out on leave with him the three times I had to, he insisted I should come back after 1 week. This was simply the icing on the cake for me. (He's a complete jerk every day, and this just bothered him too much.) I went through HR from that point on. Didn't deal with him at all.

I just passed the 6 week mark. I'm here at work. And as per normal, I just took 800mg ibuprofen for discomfort.

Stay out as long as your can with your dr's orders. You won't regret it.
Unread 03-06-2014, 07:23 AM

i've got a letter from my doctor that I gave to my boss. It says 4-6 weeks depending on recovery. I go in for my first post op at 3 weeks after surgery. I don't think I'll need the extra two weeks at this point as long as they don't do some sort of crazy schedule which my boss has assured me that they won't. Bad thing is, seeing as how our housekeeper will be out, I will be responsible for cleaning up to 5 rooms a day. That could be a problem. Otherwise, I have a great boss who's checked on me a few times just to see how I'm doing. I'm sorry yours is being a jerk Let her have her insides ripped out of her vagina (or her stomach) and see how good she feels.
Unread 03-06-2014, 07:38 AM

I went back to work 11 days po and boy was it a huge mistake! I should've taken off 2-4 weeks! I work home health, cleaning, laundry, etc. the work part was not bad because I took my youngest with me. I just should've been more about resting than working....but I felt guilty for them not having anyone coming in, this agency is not very organized at getting people in to take my place....it's been an ongoing battle! I was so exhausted just getting dressed! That should've been a sign that I needed more time!

I would take as much time as you need, regardless of what your boss may want or think you should be doing! And if you think you may need a little longer and your dr ok's it, then do it! You only have one time to heal correctly!!!

Hugs and happy healing!
Unread 03-06-2014, 07:43 AM

Listen to your body and your doctor, not your boss.
Unread 03-06-2014, 07:46 AM

I work in a retail pharmacy setting.... I do a lot of heavy lifting etc. I told my boss 6-8 weeks. and I'll be taking the 8 weeks if I feel I need it. my health is more important than doing inventory or slugging boxes setting up the seasonal easter stuff. someone else can do it. my boss actually told me that if I had to return on modified duty she wouldn't have any hours for me....which is another argument....I will be taking up with the proper people at Labour Standards office. why do bosses have to be such jerks???? it's all about the bottom line!!! we don't need this extra stress. take the time YOU need.... try not to feel pressured to go back to soon. I know it's hard ...put yourself 1st !!!! you are worth it!!
ps. i'm sure you didn't just spring this surgery on her.... just like I didn't with my boss.....if they are to stupid to plan to cover the 6-8wks that is their problem. Mine didn't.
Unread 03-06-2014, 08:38 AM

Also, I'm just going to throw this warning out there - if you cave to the pressure and return and then find you really are not ready to be back it will not go well with your boss.

Is there any work from home you can do?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register