Went for pre-op today | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Went for pre-op today Went for pre-op today

Unread 07-29-2004, 02:27 PM
Went for pre-op today

Well, I went for my pre-op today. I am scheduled for the 4th, but don't know what time, yet. I have to call the day before to find out for sure when. Am having TAH/BSO (maybe leaving right ovary if no endo is present). I think I'm going for general anesthesia, and not for the epidural. I have a fear of anything jabbing me in the back! And I would like to to be in charge of my own pain management. I would like to get up and walk as soon as possible, also. My grandmother died of a post-op blood clot and I have never forgotten it.

It still has not sunk in that I'm actually having surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-29-2004, 02:37 PM
Went for pre-op today

Oh Booster, You are so cool, I am so proud of you. Remember things have come along way since your grandmothers day, I am sorry that happened, but it is not going to happen to you or me, we are going to be happy, happy, happy. Tell me what else goes on at a pre op, I see my doctor and go over to the hospital, thats all I know thus far.....YOU GO GIRL Denna
Unread 07-29-2004, 03:02 PM
Went for pre-op today

I'm with you on the epidural. I've actually had two of them, and I agree that it is pretty scary.

Besides, I don't think I would want to be awake for this. Having a baby is something else -- I wanted to know what was going on then. But to be awake for a long surgery just doesn't do much for me.

Or are you talking about being put under AND a spinal??? Do they give you that option?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-30-2004, 09:40 AM
Went for pre-op today

I did discuss the epidural with general, but I think that I want to just go general and manage my own pain. This may sound morbid, but I am curious about what the pain will be like. That was how I felt about natural childbirth. I thought the pain was bad, but not so bad that I couldn't handle it. I'm sure I'll need some sort of pain management, though.

The nurse for my pre-op just went through the basic stuff. What to bring, what not to bring, (no jewelry, no make-up, nail polish is okay), took some blood... My doctor had a nice long talk with me about what to expect as far as the surgery itself. I was told it would take about 1 and a half hours. I don't know when yet to show up on the 4th. I have to call the hospital on the 3rd and they will tell me. Doc says that since I have been scheduled since June, I should be first in line. I have everything on the list packed. Bought my first grannie panties in years!

I have tried to prepare DH for the experience. He says he'll be my slave. I'm going to be in the castle during his birthday, so we are having a party on Saturday. We are trying to have as much sex as we can (as I feel up to), now to kinda make up for the long dry spell to come. That is the thing I feel bad about, because we've only been married 2 months. He's great, though, and assures me that he's been through longer periods on inactivity.

Doc says I may lose one or both ovaries, depending on if he finds endo. He wants me to keep as much as I can, though. I agree. I told him to leave what's not broken. I'm not real excited about being intubated, but I don't want to be awake, either!

I'm trying to be as open-minded as possible and just let what happens happen. I know I'll feel better when this is over. I'm ready. I just a little TOO calm right now. Bought sons' school supplies. Younger one will be staying with my ex-husband for two weeks an older one is busy with band rehearsals. I hate it that I may not feel good enough to have my usual involvement with band right when school starts. I never miss a game, and I am really involved with fund raisers and volunteering. (Hence, the name booster!)

I'll let you know how it goes. Four days and counting!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register