Sick b4 surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Sick b4 surgery Sick b4 surgery

Unread 06-06-2006, 03:52 PM
Sick b4 surgery

Hi ladies. I'm scheduled for TAH/BSO on Friday. My whole family is sick. Fever and sore throat. I last fevered first thing this morning and am feeling much better today. Pre-op is tomorrow pm and I'm keeping my fingers crossed they'll "pass" me. I have a 5 yr old who is medically fragile and special needs in addition, I have a 3 yr old and 8 month old. I've worked for the better part of two months to arrange childcare for them for a week after my surgery....if it gets postponed, it'll be disasterous. No matter when they reschedule it for, I won't have as much help available to me......how long to I need to be fever free to 'pass' the pre-op??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-06-2006, 05:09 PM
Sick b4 surgery

I can't believe your post. I have been a lurker here for months and my surgery is Friday also. I woke up this morning wth a very slight sore throat and now it is killing me. I'm not supposed to take anything including tylenol or OTC meds, and I was teasing myself into thinking it was my allergies, but my head is killing me, swollen glands and I just don't feel like its only allergies. I have a very slightly elevated temp, but VERY slight, so I don't even think you can count it.

I hope someone responds, I wish I had an answer for you, but I'll send you a e-hug!! Good luck and keep us up to date. I'm calling my dr in the mornig if I still feel this way to see if they will give me something, or if we can still go forward. I don't want to wait and have them tell me if I had called they would have given me an anibiotic or something.
Unread 06-06-2006, 08:41 PM
Sick b4 surgery

It'll be the anesthesiologists call as to whether youre well enough to safely be put to sleep. Usually a fever above 100F will postpose surgery. Also if theres any upper respiratory congestion (lungs have to be clear)this will be cause to cancel. Remember that should the surgery need to be rescheduled its for your own safety.

Personal experience--I had adhesiolysis and the Monarc Hammock placed March '03. I had been sick the week prior and was still sick the morning of surgery. My fever was 100F in the pre-op room; the Dr's consulted one another and finally decided it was safe to proceed. Little did I know this nagging cold would turn into a full blown chest cold 2 days post-op--lots of coughing! Not only was this extremely painful it could easily have undone the Monarc Hammock and the vaginal sutures. I learned a lesson--should I ever need another elective surgery I will make sure I'm 100% before proceeding.

Take care and good luck to you!
diana
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-06-2006, 08:44 PM
Sick b4 surgery

Thanks. I've felt 90% better today, and no fevers. I have no congestion whatsoever, I just feel kind of wiped out still. Everyone in the house except the dog had this stuff this weekend. It really stinks when you're all sick at the same time and no one can comfort anyone. My temp has been normal all day with the exception of this morning it was 99.5. Keep your fingers crossed for tomorrow. Thanks again for your input.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register