july 27th going in for hister | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

july 27th going in for hister july 27th going in for hister

Unread 07-23-2001, 07:02 PM
july 27th going in for hister

hi, i am scared. i just wanted to be reasured that it is not going to take forever to bounve bavk. i am 39 and tired of bleeding 3 weeks out of a month. i am scared to death because i have so many thing s to do and not enough time to do them. anyway also wanted to know about the pain after. i am on pain medication now and i want to know what kind of pain after the surgery. help me please and let me know what i am really in for. thanks so much
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-23-2001, 07:52 PM

Hi Beleveinlove Welcome to Hyster Sisters. I'm so happy you've found us. Love your name

Believe me, it's normal to feel overwhelmed and apprehensive as the time for this surgery approaches. I know it's hard to believe from where you are, but the waiting IS the worst part.

I can't really answer your question about the pain factor, since you do not specify the type of surgery you're having. One thing I know though, is that hospital staff are now very efficient in managing pain and they are very effective at ensuring that your pain IS managed. The key is to let them know when you hurt.

You mention that you are currently taking pain meds. I hope they've been cleared by your doctor since some meds have to be stopped as much as 2 weeks before surgery. Not stopping them could not only postpone surgery, but it could also cause serious complications both during surgery and/or during recovery.

As far as recovery goes, recovery for an Abdominal Hyst (TAH) and from a Vaginal Hyst (TVH) is the same: 6 to 8 weeks. Recovery from a Laparascopic Hyst is 4 to 6 weeks. While you will not be bed-ridden during that time, you WILL need to rest a lot and there will be bending, stretching, straining and lifting restrictions.

Wishing you the best of luck as you prepare for your big day. We'll be right there with you.
Unread 07-24-2001, 01:58 AM
Me too

Hi!

I'm having a TAH BSO on 7/27 too. I know exactly what you mean about wanting to get so much done. Don't worry, it will all fall into place for you.

I'm nervous too, obviously because it's 4:45 am and I'm not asleep. I seem to have developed fear induced insomnia this week. Should make for an interesting mood at work in a few hours. Anyway, from what I read, the waiting is the worst part. I'm finding the best way to deal with the waiting is to try to keep busy to keep my mind off it. I've been running little errands to pick up stuff to take to the castle, etc. And before we both know it, Friday will be here.

You're in my thoughts and prayers.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-24-2001, 02:43 AM

I am 2 weeks post-op this morning. I believe the hyst. (TVH) would not have been so bad to recover from but I had lots of repair work done, and my uterus was oversized causing an episiotomy to have to be done. I believe only because of that it has taken me longer to feel better. I found that with the repair work the worst was over in 5 days and as of the 10th day post-op I am finally starting to feel as if I have turned a corner. The only problem I am having now is my ovaries are on strike from being handled and am up at all hours of the night-- just cannot get to sleep! I will tell you this, the apprehension was far worse to me than the reality! Since you are on pain meds you may need stronger meds after surgery to keep you comfortable and totake home. Mention this to your nurse, your doc, and anesthesiology.
Also ask for anti-nausea meds. I did this surgery and had NO PROBLEMS! We will be praying for you girl-- the wait IS truely the worst.
Unread 07-24-2001, 04:07 AM

Hi, I am also going in on the 27th. I have pre-op today and hope the necessary questions I have will be answered. I am starting to get butterflies....I am not as afraid of the surgery as much as not being able to function for such a long time. I am also worried about HRT. I have had so many questions answered on this site that I would not have even thought of. I had a TVH 8 years ago and must get the rest taken out as well as rectal construction. The first time was a piece of cake but I am much older now and well.....Good luck to you.....
Unread 07-24-2001, 04:35 AM

I had a TAH one month ago yesterday and, while people say the wait is the worse part (which it is), you do have to be realistic about recovery time as well. The first two weeks are probably the hardest and, while you are not going to be in major pain, you will feel very tired, fragile - and sore. You need to be sure to make up your mind that you are going to take it easy, get lots of rest and not do any work, housework, bending, lifting or stretching. It is really, really important that you take the first two to three weeks to take care of yourself so that you can heal properly. And, get as much help as you can so that you won't be trying to do things on your own!

Once you have had the surgery and gone through your first month or so, you will look back and be glad that you got it over with -- and that you are on your way to feeling like a "new woman".

Good luck.

Lou
Unread 07-24-2001, 05:52 AM

Dear Beleveinlove,

I am having surgery they same day as you. I am having a TAH/BSO. At first I was really scared and now I am just nervous.
I had a lap done a few months ago and it was awful, My husband got sick the day of the surgery with a cold and he was being a typical man about. He wanted the nurses to take care of him and give him and asprin and wanted me to get out of the bed so he could lay down. I on the other hand was sick as could be and couldn't keep anything down they kept giving me shots and the sickier I got it was horrible!!!! I aslo had a hard time waking up and breathing and I was so sore. I decided if this is what it's like to look no one is touching me again!!!!! Come to find out hubby authorized lazer treatment on me to try and get rid of the Endo.
That is why I hurt so bad when I woke up. They also started me on Moriphine before the surgery and I don't think it agreed with me at all. For all concerned my Mom is coming to take care of me this time she will be at the hospital so I wont be as scared. I am also 39 years old and have one child a teenager. I truly believe it should be against the law to have a Teenager and Female Problems all at the same time we need to be shown Mercy!!LOL!!!
Just remeber each and everyone of us will be there with you in spirit holding your hand and telling you everything will be ok!!!! My son tells me that everyday!!!! If you need anything else feel free to email me.

Laura
TAH/BSO July 27,2001
Unread 07-24-2001, 12:36 PM

Ladies listen up! I did a LOT of research going in to this. Ihave a history of getting severly sick after surgery. I had a bladder sling operation done 5 years ago, a laproscopic gall bladder emergency removal, and the TVH with rectal repair. Afte talking to many people and getting on linehere, I learned the best defenses (drug wise) against getting sick. First if you go general ask for a anesthesia called DIPRIVAN it is less likely to cause side effects like nausea, much less likely! Also, ask for ZOFRAN to be administered in your IV during surgery and afterwards as needed.
They give this to kids in chemotherapy and they can eat pizza while receiving thisdrug. It is GOOD STUFF! I am the barf queen of past surgerys so I know this works! This surgery I had NO PROBLEMS!!
Unread 07-24-2001, 01:35 PM
meds

Sheri, Thanks for the information, I would have never even thought to research that area. That is why I am on this site..I need all the information I can get.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register