Here's a question for those with fibroids.... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Here's a question for those with fibroids.... Here's a question for those with fibroids....

Unread 04-11-2004, 02:09 PM
Here's a question for those with fibroids....

The doctor said I had one fibroid the size of a canteloupe, two the size of tennis balls, and a grape sized one.

#1 - Do you think my stomach will be flatter (in the long run) after the surgery? What I am trying to ask is, do you think these tumors have inflated my belly? I have a little pot belly, but I thought it was because I have gained weight (15 lb) this last four years. Maybe some of this belly is the tumors.

#2 - HOW is my doctor going to be able to to a LAVH with tumors this size?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-11-2004, 02:13 PM

I had a fibroid that was 11cm x 9 cm ......it took the doc about twice as long as a normal Lap/Vag, but she was aable to do it. i was very happy as the recovery is a little easier done that way.

nel
Unread 04-11-2004, 02:18 PM

I wish I knew what "canteloupe" is cm wise...Can someone give me an idea?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-11-2004, 02:41 PM

chopem,
My uterus was the size of a football and they were able to get it out TVH. I was amazed. It did take the DR more than 2 hrs to get it out, and he said most DR would have cut me open. I have lost more than 10 lbs because of the surgery. I am a lot smaller... and I am now needing to gain weight.
You will more than likely lose your belly.
Unread 04-11-2004, 02:58 PM

I have a 5 cm fibroid which is the size of an egg or kiwi (2 inches) or 12 week pregnancy.

Check out this website:

http://www.babycenter.com/general/fe...y/1290794.html

If you know the cm size of your fibroid, you can use this site to judge how your uterus is growing.
Unread 04-11-2004, 03:35 PM

Chopem, my biggest fibroid was 15 cm and the dr. referred to it as "cantelope" sized...

Your stomach may eventually flatten, but it will likely be soft & swollen for a while first.
Unread 04-11-2004, 07:15 PM

Good Lord!!! Footballs, Canteloupes, .... our poor bodies!!! I can't wait to get this over!!
Unread 04-12-2004, 12:55 AM

If I can sqeeze a 9 pound baby out surely the docs can pull a football out...LOL...I don't think mine were quite that large...
Unread 04-12-2004, 05:49 AM

My DR didn't describe the actual size or number of my fibroids before surgery. I had a lot, and the size the fibroids made my uterus was what she was concerned with. At my last apt with her apx 6 weeks before surgery it was the size of a 14-16 week pregnancy, which, in her opinion, was too large for her to do a vaginal hyst. Its actual size was more like 16-18 weeks, and she said it was a challenge to remove via the horizontal incision.

Having the uterus removed vaginally really isn't all that comparable to giving birth. During the birth process certain hormones have been released that make your ligaments looser so your pelvic bones can move in order to accomodate the baby's head. Also those same hormones have dilated the cervix to at least 10cm. The DR will dilate your cervix, but the ligaments are going to be normal, not loose. If the uterus is too large, they may cut it up to remove it or switch to an abdominal procedure.

Best wishes.
Unread 04-12-2004, 06:08 AM

Hello Ladies...My fibroid has been referred to as a football sized mass...doctor said similar to a 17-18 week pregnancy....my surgery is scheduled for June 14 ( I am a teacher and will finish my school year June 11)....I will have completed three months of Depo lupron injections...my doctor says he can do a LAVH if my uterus is the size of a 12 week pregnancy or less....he is not very confident that my fibroid will shrink enough..He said that he could try the LAVH first and if it does not work he will switch over to a TAH/BSO...says I will not notice the three small incisions in addition to my adominal incision....He said the Depo lupron will reduce the bleeding during the surgery...I chose to wait three and a half months after my emergency room visit ...I have three teenagers and am trying to finish up their traveling team schedules...I am actually looking forward to my castle stay and recovery...sick puppy , huh???? Take good care of yourselves ladies...Sue

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register