Working the Day Before Surgery? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Working the Day Before Surgery? Working the Day Before Surgery?

Unread 07-18-2006, 09:59 AM
Working the Day Before Surgery?

The more I read on this board, it seems that trying to go to work (I have a 3-hour a day commute and I work full time in a law firm-paralegal), the day before surgery is almost an impossibilty. Is that right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-18-2006, 10:22 AM

SandySk8tr:

I don't know if you will have to perform a bowel prep the day prior to your surgery, but if you do, it will be impossible for you to work the day before your trip to the castle.

Even if you don't have a bowel prep, you might be too anxious to get anything done at work, so I suggest that you take the day off and treat yourself to a pedicure or something fun.
Unread 07-18-2006, 10:27 AM

Depending on your diet, bowel prep situation, and any pre op testing the day before your surgery, you might wish to take that day off. While I did not have a limited diet or bowel prep prior to my hyst, I had labs and a pre op appointment that day.

Treating yourself to a "me" day may help you relax prior to surgery! Best wishes to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-18-2006, 11:00 AM

I really want to save my time for my family (holidays and such) so I will be working the day before my surgery. Not sure what use I will be...
Unread 07-18-2006, 11:14 AM

Thank you, I will call my dr.'s office in a couple of weeks so I can find out whether I will be able to work the day before surgery or not. I think a pedicure sounds waaaay better than work though. LOL
Unread 07-18-2006, 07:51 PM

I worked the day before my surgery. I didn't have any bowel prep but did have a clear diet only. That did make me a little cranky for sure, but the kids (at school) were good about it and didn't tease me with any good stuff from their lunches! LOL I had to keep myself busy so that I wouldn't get stressed out about the surgery and about my hungry belly! I was probably up doing household chores and paying bills etc until the wee hours of the night before too. Good thing because I ended up in hospital for over a week and then wasn't any good for much for about 4 more weeks, until the stent and catheter were removed. If going to work feels good, do it. If you need to be home, stay home. Good luck and get lots of rest.

Mar
Unread 07-18-2006, 08:23 PM
up to you

I was on a business trip the weekend before and got in late Sunday night. I worked Monday, the day before surgery (needed to be sure everything was caught up) and my younger DD moved into a new apt that day, so I went over there after work and stayed and helped her until late that evening. Then, I went home and did my enema thing.

I only had to do the enema and nothing by mouth after midnight so I wasn't dealing with diet or bowel prep issues during the day.

Frankly, it was good for me to work and stay busy. That night, I packed my bag and was ready for my trip to the castle at 5:30 the next morning.

So, it really depends on what works best for you in keeping a positive mind and a calm spirit to take with you to the castle.
Unread 07-18-2006, 08:46 PM

I worked until Noon the day before surgery, but didn't have bowel prep or any special diet to follow. I had to use vacation time. I just needed time to relax and have a nice dinner before the 5am trip to the castle.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register