Severe Muscle Aches/Knots-Help! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Severe Muscle Aches/Knots-Help! Severe Muscle Aches/Knots-Help!

Unread 01-05-2006, 05:44 PM
Severe Muscle Aches/Knots-Help!

I hope someone can shed some light on this. My doctor started me on 15 mg of DHEA about 3 months ago because my DHEA level was low and I was complaining of mental fogginess. It is now low normal range. As time has gone by though, I notice I am getting severe muscle aches, soreness, and knots in my neck, back, and upper arms. The mental fogginess is somewhat better but I certainly don't have the mental sharpness I had before the hormonal upheaval and hysterectomy. I've had two doctors tell me two different reasons for this: because my DHEA level is low and because I need to exercise more. I take 2 mg of oral estradiol and lexapro and trazodone because I have a terrible time staying asleep. I wake up all the time and then just lie there in a very light relaxed state. My thyroid is normal. Is this hormone related? Anyone else had this? Thanks sisters!marymargo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-05-2006, 05:55 PM

I had all those same symptoms from low estrogen. Terrible muscle tension. My chiropractor couldn't believe how knotted up I was all the time. Within minutes even after he had worked to loosen me up. You are taking a fairly high dose of estrogen now. So, I'm not sure unless maybe another form would work better. Maybe some wiser sisters will come along and be more helpful. I can only tell you what helped me. You may need something totally different.
Unread 01-05-2006, 06:20 PM

Marymargo,

I am a little over 3 months out and have the same thing.

It is worse in the mornings. I too have it in my shoulders and upper arms and neck. Am getting a massage tomorrow evening and going up on my estrogen this weekend-per my Dr.'s suggestion. He feels that joint pain is caused by low estrogen. He also told me to continue my Ibuprofen.

I also have some 2 % testosterone cream that I am going to try after I get adjusted on the increased estrogen. Will just have to see what transpires.

I feel your pain. It can be sooooo frustrating.

Sweet Pea
TAH w/BSO on 9/19/05. On Vivelle Dot .075 to increase to 0.1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-06-2006, 08:32 AM

I have this too ...its been worse the past 4 months ...i am still in PT
my low back was an issue , now its tension ..trigger points and spasm in my trapezius ....massage works wonders ! i may increase my estradiol soon...waiting to see if i adjust
Unread 01-06-2006, 03:39 PM

The problem could also be too much estrogen. You are on a high dose of estradiol plus the DHEA which converts to estrogen. I get severe muscle aches from too much estrogen. Something to think about.
Unread 01-06-2006, 05:06 PM

Just to let you sisters know that a massage is a wonderful thing for your current aches and pains.

I had my first one this evening. It was mainly for all the pain I have been experiencing in my shoulders and neck and arms recently. I feel better than I have in WEEKS.
It was only 30 minutes so it did not cost me a fortune.

I plan to go up on my estrogen tomorrow in hopes of making this better in the long run.

Hope you all get to feeling better soon.

Sweet Pea
TAH w/BSO for giant fibroid uterus weighing 1238 gms.
Endo, adeno and adhesions. On Vivelle Dot .075 increasing to 0.1

Sweet Pea
Unread 01-07-2006, 09:59 AM

it isnt too much in my case ...i get the blood work done on days i feel like this and i am low lol wish it was seems when i am higher i have none of those problems
Unread 01-07-2006, 10:03 PM
Dhea

Hi Marymargo,

I have taken DHEA, but it never caused muscle aches. It did affect my muscles, but in a helpful way. It increased my strength and slightly increased muscle mass, which I was losing. Recently though, I started having side effects, the same that I get from too much testosterone, so I've stopped taking it temporarily.

Testosterone and DHEA have helped with mental fog -– I think the improvement has been from having more energy. DHEA has had a couple other different benefits, too. It has improved my mood and increased motivation in general. However, I am still not the same as I was before the hysterectomy.

I have wondered for awhile about what causes the loss in mental sharpness that I have heard so many women talk about. I think it's low estrogen/androgen levels. I read an article about sex steroids and cognition, and the author said that we have cell receptors in our brains for estrogen and testosterone. And both hormones are necessary for normal brain function. We take supplements, but our levels are still lower than they were before the surgery.

About exercise. I sleep better when I exercise 4x weekly or more. I don't work-out hard because I don't especially like it. I walk on a treadmill or do light floor exercises for 30 minutes. One other thing that helps with sleep is a liquid magnesium supplement. I have tried pills, but I don't absorb them as well. So now I mix 100mg of magnesium (SuperMag by Nutrina) in water, and take it with my evening meal. About 10:30, I start getting tired, and I usually sleep through the night.
Unread 01-08-2006, 08:44 AM

Hi Sweet Pea ,
I get massages too ...they really help ...i have one for tuesday yahoooooo

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register