5 days post hysterectomy - best post op sleeping positions? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

5 days post hysterectomy - best post op sleeping positions? 5 days post hysterectomy - best post op sleeping positions?

Unread 10-04-2014, 03:31 PM
5 days post hysterectomy - best post op sleeping positions?

Is it okay to sleep on my side or partially on my stomach? I can't seem to get comfortable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-04-2014, 03:38 PM
Re: best post op sleeping positions?

Yep...best sleeping position is on my side. I was never a stomach sleeper anyway...I sometimes sleep on my back but I had alot of low back pain after my surgery, it made it worse when I would lie on my back. Side position is the most comfy. When I needed to get up I would push myself up with my arms.
Unread 10-04-2014, 03:42 PM

I have been sleeping on my side with a thin pillow between my legs. I am not terribly comfortable no matter what postition I lay in, and getting up is a witch! I always forget how much we indavertenly use our core muscles!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-04-2014, 06:15 PM
5 days post hysterectomy - best post op sleeping positions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NellBurgy30 View Post
I have been sleeping on my side with a thin pillow between my legs. I am not terribly comfortable no matter what postition I lay in, and getting up is a witch! I always forget how much we indavertenly use our core muscles!

I agree 100% !!!!!
Unread 10-04-2014, 06:15 PM

My Dr told me if I am comfortable, its a good sleeping position after about the first week. Pain will let you know otherwise. He did recommend avoiding stomach for first week, amd i accidentally rolled on my stomach week 2. Woke me up with pressure but not pain.
Unread 10-04-2014, 07:32 PM

i started sleeping on my side in the 2nd week (on back the first week) with a pillow between my knees (that was new) and a pillow hugged to my torso. i had some discomfort for the first couple weeks sleeping on my side but not enough to keep me awake or need pain meds. the last couple weeks (week 5,6), i've noticed that i'm mostly comfortable on my side. my surgeon didn't give any restrictions when i left the hospital on day 6.
Unread 10-04-2014, 09:47 PM

First night home for me, surgery yesterday. Trying to figure this one out now. I think I'm gonna try my side, worked after my c-sections.
Unread 10-05-2014, 06:51 AM
Re: 5 days post hysterectomy - best post op sleeping positions?

I can't sleep on my back at all. I slept on my side the first night after surgery. I was still really woozy from the anesthetic and dilaudid, so I just curled up on my side and never thought about it! The second night I was a bit more aware and realized I'd be more comfortable on my side if I held a pillow against my belly.

I slept on my side until 13 days out, when I had my staples removed. After that I slept on my stomach as I usually do.
Unread 10-05-2014, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanmont View Post
Is it okay to sleep on my side or partially on my stomach? I can't seem to get comfortable.

I am most comfortable when I lay on my side with a pillow tucked next to my belly for support.
Unread 10-05-2014, 12:20 PM

I had a Vaginal Hysterectomy kept ovaries -- a week prior to that was a D & C for hyperplasia.. Polyps removal, cone za tion thing- ( spell check won't let me write it ) grateful no cancer cells. So I found for sleeping: king sized pillows and lots of other pillows are helpful. A body pillow or 3 might have been a good idea too- anyhow I put a king pillow the length of my back and one in front of my tummy and sleep best at either angle of the letter V...also I noticed when I put my legs up in hospital bed it took pressure off my belly/ lower back so another pillow under legs..pushed up near my bottom...I am grateful not be be on pain killers.... I didn't get told anything about howI could or couldn't sleep...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register