Food suggestions needed | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Food suggestions needed Food suggestions needed

Unread 10-01-2006, 01:19 PM
Food suggestions needed

I was wondering was foods/meals are suggested for the day before surgery and for after surgery. For instance, we are supposed to have bland foods. Did you eat meals after surgery or just snacks? Any suggestions for meals would be appreciated.

Thanks!
tvh/bso & midurethral sling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-01-2006, 01:30 PM
Food suggestions needed

Soft foods until noon the day prior to surgery for me. Then at noon, the bowel prep drink. After that, clear fluids until midnight.

I had pancakes and hot chocolate for breakfast. A grilled cheese at lunch. Then it was banana popsicles the remainder of the day/night.

Each doc has different requirements. But I've learned the hard way that the easier you take it on the day prior to surgery, the less challenging that first BM is gonna be!

Best wishes ~
Unread 10-01-2006, 01:36 PM
Food suggestions needed

I'll be on a clear liquid diet 36 hours prior to surgery which means Sat. night at 7:30. I then have to do the bowel prep stuff at 2:00 on Sun. Arrive at hospital at 6:00 am and have surgery at 7:30.

I'm told I can do stuff like chicken broth, jello, ginger ale.

Is vodka considered a clear liquid???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-01-2006, 01:46 PM
vodka as clear liquid

Now why didn't I think of that!! All kidding aside my last meal was a nice hearty breakdfast monday am clear liquids after that drank bowel prep at five and 8
Surgery 2 pm next day
Don't worry the bowel prep will kill appetite ughh
make sure it is cold....
Morning after surgery I had pancakes!

Harley
Unread 10-01-2006, 01:52 PM
Food suggestions needed

Thanks for the suggestions gordonk. My pre-op isn't until the day before surgery so by then it'd be too late to ask the surgeons for their suggestions. I don't know if I'll have a bowel prep, surely they would have said something about it. My surgery is early morning.

hugs to all!
Unread 10-01-2006, 02:21 PM
Getting Ready

I got my orders re:food at the last minute, but my dr. said eat protein before surgery. So I had protein shakes and a steak! One thing to avoid is eggplant and tomatoes--they mess with the anesthesia. The key to the "getting things moving" again after surgery is to drink Smooth Move herbal tea as soon as you are able. That, plus lots of water and walking when you are allowed, will get thngs going.
When I got home from the castle, I did not want full meals. I really wanted snacks--so all the stuff I prepared kind of sat there and friends brought me the snacks I was craving! Just something to think about as you do your final prep! I wish you he best and see you on the other side!
Unread 10-01-2006, 03:58 PM
Food suggestions needed

I was not given any instructions on foods the day before. So, I ate my normal diet.

Cereal for breakfast

Salad with meat and vegiies for lunch

Pasta with homemade heirloom tomato sauce and sausage with a small salad for dinner.

Then, after midnight, no food or water.

The "no water after midnight" part was the toughest for me. I always keep water by my bed as I tend to get a dry mouth while I sleep. I was amazed that I actually slept all night and didn't need my water.
Unread 10-01-2006, 07:54 PM
Food suggestions needed

ooooooh no water, I think that is me too. I keep water by the bed also, thats going to be a toughy...lol.
Unread 10-02-2006, 06:30 PM
Food suggestions needed

I ate light the day before surgery. Did enema the night before. Did not have to drink any special liquids to clear system. Hospital kept me on clear liquid diet until I passed gas. They also started me on stool softener and Gas Ex immediately after surgery. Consequently, I've had very little problems with gas and no problems with BM. I stayed on bland diet for the five days following surgery....pork chops, macaroni and cheese, chicken breast, rice, scrambled eggs, bananas. Am now back to eating my favorite hot sauce!! :-)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register