Fear of caffeine withdrawal headache | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Fear of caffeine withdrawal headache Fear of caffeine withdrawal headache

Unread 08-06-2003, 07:37 PM
Fear of caffeine withdrawal headache

Yeah, I know there's worse than a headache to worry about, but I REALLY hate going through caffeine withdrawal. But anyway.... my surgery's scheduled for 11:30 am. Am I going to be able to have a morning cup of coffee so I don't get a headache later? Or am I going to be restricted to nothing but water? (My pre-op appointment isn't until the 28th.) I had two cesaereans 20 and 22 years ago, and even now I remember the headaches!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-06-2003, 07:44 PM
Well....

I don't think you'll be able to have coffee. I couldn't even have water that morning. Of course, all doctor's require different things, so who knows what you'll get for instructions. Keep your fingers crossed.

One thing to consider though...you've got enough time left to taper off slowly from the caffiene and avoid the withdrawal headaches (and I know what you mean, they ARE BAD!). Caffiene increases your sensitivity to pain (one reason I stopped having it after my endo diagnosis). While you don't want the headaches you might consider being off caffiene for surgery anyways. You'll have a better pain management experience without caffiene in your body. Something to think about.

If you taper off a little less each day you might be able to avoid a headache.

HTH

Rita
Unread 08-06-2003, 07:44 PM

Most doc's say nothing by mouth after midnight but check with YOUR doctor as everyone is different.

Donna

Donate blood, the life you save may be your own!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-06-2003, 07:45 PM

Most likely you won't be allowed anything after midnight, including water or coffee. You just have to get to the surgery though. You will be on pain medication afterwards so you certainly won't notice a caffeine headache. I was allowed coffee the next morning after surgery. They might even let you have it the same day, later in the evening.
Unread 08-06-2003, 08:36 PM

my surgery was scheduled for 730 am and I was told i could only have water up till 4am. then nothing .. I was worried about the caffiene , and boy did I want a cup when everyone else had one around me. Anyways with the surgery and all the pain meds the first night It didnt matter. The next morning I recieved breakfast and they gave me a cup of coffee. Depending on how much you drink.. I would only have a cup in the morning.. I wish you the best of luck and hope all goes well.........
((((((((((((Hugs))))))))))))))))))))
Loreine
Unread 08-06-2003, 08:37 PM
Coffee before Surgery

Do check with your doctor; I've read a couple of places that doctors are now letting patients drink a cup of coffee (no solids) on the morning of surgery if they really need it. Apparently the AMA found in some study that one cup of coffee didn't make any difference in how much people threw up after anesthetic, and it did make a huge difference in reducing headaches! Also, my partner, a pharmacologist, suggested that if your doctor says no to coffee, you might try No-Doz or another caffiene pill. Most doctors tell you to take your normal pills (with some notable exceptions)with a sip of water; and a caffiene pill might prevent your headache. Just a couple of thoughts. I'm due for my TAH on Aug. 19, but have been off caffiene for years! I'm just worried about being thirsty! Best wishes for your surgery.
Unread 08-06-2003, 08:52 PM

the No- doz may be a option .. but please by no means take anything the day of your surgery unless you first discuss it with your Dr. My Dr. had to ok what I was taking before I could. Better safe then sorry..
Loreine
Unread 08-06-2003, 09:09 PM

I am a coffee addict also and was worried just like you. My surgery wasn't scheduled till 12:15 (and I didn't get in there till about 1:30). I was told nothing after midnight. Imagine my disappointment knowing that I couldn't even have water. I ended up having dreams of drinking water and surgery being canceled. The headache part I never experienced. I was rather surprised because I've gotten them before and they are painful. The way I figured it they would drug me up enough even if I did get a headache I wouldn't care much. I decided to work that day so I wasn't sitting around thinking about what I wasn't allowed to have.
Good luck with your surgery.
Tricia

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register