Is DNC and lap routine before hyster? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Is DNC and lap routine before hyster? Is DNC and lap routine before hyster?

Unread 04-02-2005, 03:41 PM
Is DNC and lap routine before hyster?

Well, I am loving the HysterSisters book that I ordered, have already read it a thousand times and dropped it in the bathtub once (since I read in the tub, heh ), and I don't even know if I will be approved for my hysterectomy yet. BUT, I have my DNC and lap scheduled for the 14th, the nurse thinks I will need to get that checked off the list in order for insurance to approve the hyster? What exactly does this procedure prove for the insurance company? Have you guys had to jump through the DNC/lap hoops before your hysterectomy was approved?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2005, 05:12 PM

I have never had a dnc in fact, I went to the dr for my annual check up and we talked and I told him my periods were heavier and longer than they used to be, I thought maybe it was because I'm 44 and just getting closer to menopause, during the exam he said my uterus felt distended and had me come in and do a transvaginal ultrasound and found fibroids and recomended the tah, my insurance company didn't seem to have a problem with any of it, so I guess it just depends on the insurance company. Best of luck on your procedures.
Unread 04-02-2005, 05:36 PM
was certified....

when i went to doctor in january she prescribed lupron depot and then did an ultrasound.
it was the ultrasound that showed many fibroids, cysts, including a heart shaped uterus and dr. is certain about endo. i have been dealing w/ stuff for about 10 year.
i have not had medical attention / procedures toward this matter before now.
after the 3 mo. lupron i was ready for the surgery - 3/3/05.
i just found out this week that it was approved right away, but waited til now to find out. i asked my doctors office - registration person.
i should've asked before this. but didn't. i was worried about not having it approved because of other insurance stories i had heard about. i was prepared to appeal.
maybe your doctor or their staff can explain what constitutes approval.
hope you don't have wait too long and worry whether surgery will or won't be certified / approved.
i will be having a lavh w/ removal of tubes and ovaries 4/15. wishing you the best. mecelena
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2005, 05:50 PM

I had almost 3 years of "leading up to" my hyst. It consisted of a number of different kinds of medicines and such. Blood work, ultrasounds. I had (all at one time) a D&C, hysteroscopy, thermal ablation and a laparoscopy. I gave that almost a year...to truly see if things were better, but no luck and was back again. So, all in all..about 3 years from start to finish. All that was done in an effort specifically to meet the demands of the insurance company to try "less invasive first" and when we finally submitted a request for a TAH/RSO and bladder sling they denied me. I think in the end my age had a lot to do with it. I was 32. They kept arguing that I had to try other things and my doctor kept telling them we did it. I had to appeal and went through that, but in the end I won and it will be 1 year ago on April 7 that I had mine and life has been SO MUCH BETTER. I would do it again (and the fight) all over. Thank goodness I did. In the end, I had fibroids, cysts, adenomyosis, some other things I can't pronounce, had to have my appendix removed and had that test positive for pre-cancerous cells. My bladder was lifted and I haven't wet myself once since that was done...a good thing.
Unread 04-02-2005, 08:03 PM

Hi Newt,

I'm not sure whether everyone has a D&C before their hysters but I had one in October to see if it would stop the bleeding and then I was placed on Provera to thin the lining of the uterus. Unfortunately this didn't help and they also discovered enlarged uterus while doing D&C. They also later discovered adenomyosis so in the end I had little option. When all reports came through doc said I was a b***** mess.

Stay positve and I hope you have a speedy recovery........Karen
Unread 04-02-2005, 08:39 PM

Well, a wet soggy Hyster Sisters book is better than none at all! LOL!
Glad it wasn't something you could've electrocuted yourself with.

Yes to a D&C (it didn't work), no lap, but did a biopsy (during the D&C)

In my case, neither was an insurance requirement (no ins.) and the biopsy was done just to make sure there was no cancer before they got in there and started throwing things around. And that is a good idea even if it's not required by insurance, in fact my Doc required it.

good luck on the approval!
joano
Unread 04-02-2005, 08:54 PM

Newt,

Thought you might want to know that's actually D&C (dilation and curettage). Dilate the cervix to allow the tools to enter, then scrape the lining of the uterus basically. D&C sometimes works to reduce bleeding. During D&C and with hysteroscopy other problems can be diagnosed and/or treated. I had a 3cm polyp removed during my first D&C hysteroscopy. Had a second one when my bleeding got bad again, however, that didn't work. Turned out I had very large fibroids. Laparoscopic procedure can be used to look at the outside of your uterus, your ovaries, bladder, etc. to aid in diagnosing your problem. Some insurance companies want to make sure every avenue is explored before they allow you to have hysterectomy. Good luck to you.

Linda
Unread 04-02-2005, 09:12 PM

I had an appt. with my GYN the week before Christmas (2004) and we discussed the hysterectomy process. He suspected adeno due to previous ultrasound showing 12 week enlarged uterus, my cycle was becoming irregular with lots of spotting, bladder and bowel problems, bloating, leg pain, back pain, migraines, etc! BCP caused problems with my migraines and feelings of "morning sickness." My GYN felt I wouldn't tolerate the side effects of progesterone either. Said I would be trading one problem for another. So he really felt at my age (36) this wasn't going to get better and the hysterectomy was the best option for me. I asked if my insurance (which is well known in our area for being difficult) would approve it or if they would require other treatments first. He said he would put the request in but felt like they would probably make him do a hysterscopy or lap first. I asked my doctor why he didn't just do it then. He stated he didn't feel it was fair to put me through two surgeries if he didn't have to, so he would try to get it approved if he could. Referral was put in the day before Christmas eve. I went on vacation and when I returned the surgery had not only been approved, but scheduled for February 7th. It was pretty much a shock as I had prepared myself for a denial. My doctor said the insurance companies are starting to get a little smarter. They are realizing that with someone younger (not nearing menopause anytime soon) they will pay for all these other procedures and in the end still end up paying for the hysterectomy. So in my case, a dnc, lap, or hysterscopy was not required.

jmw
Unread 04-03-2005, 11:26 AM

WOW, everyone thank you for your help !!

Maybe if it's in the cards, the dr will see my appt made by my nurse for the D&C/lap, will call his insurance friend, and find out for sure if I have to have it done, and then find out that I don't have to have it done, and then he'll just go ahead and schedule the actual hysterectomy for the 14th, wouldn't that be cool!

With the lap, do they think they can remove all the fibroids?

Thanks again so much for your support---I love this place!!
Unread 04-03-2005, 01:24 PM

I haven't had a d&c. I've always had irregulare periods. Then in 97 I had an ultra sound and they found 3 fibroid. The largest the size of a quarter. Then my pap came back abnormal (not the first time for this) and she did a biopsy. Turns out that I also have endro of the cervix. Since then my periods kept getting heavier and more painful. My GP didn't seem like this was enough to get me a hyster. Then I went in last month for my yearly and my hemo was at 8. I had the hardest time getting out of bed. She put me on ferrous sulfate and had me go in for another blood workup and decided that with my mom having ovarian cancer, maybe I could get a hyster. My hemo is up to 10 now. Went to the ob/gyn and I told her what I wanted. She did a pelvic and told me that I could not have a vaginal cuz I'm to tight! lol So, now I'm on the list for a hyster. Not sure till my pre op on what all she will take. I have lucked out with great dr's.
My dr thought that the ob/gyn might do a d&c first. Thank god ....she didn't suggest that.
Also, is 6-8 weeks pretty average for time of work for an invassive hyster?
Love this place
Kat

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register