Hints for Hospital, Going in on Tuesday.... eeekkkk! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hints for Hospital, Going in on Tuesday.... eeekkkk! Hints for Hospital, Going in on Tuesday.... eeekkkk!

Unread 11-09-2006, 07:23 AM
Hints for Hospital, Going in on Tuesday.... eeekkkk!

For you ladies that haven't done your pre-op appt yet, dont worry. It was quick and simple for me. Other than 101 questions about my history, I just had to complete a urine test, and about 10 tubes of blood. Had the opportunity to ask questions, but I really didnt have any other than some last minute things for the surgeon (who I wont see until Tuesday).

My question is this.... I'm familiar with items I need to bring with me, but what are some good tips for what to have on hand afterwards? I have 5 children, and would like some ideas on quick meals, and also what the best stool softeners, meals, etc are for me? We are making the HUGE trip to the store this weekend and don't want to leave anything out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-09-2006, 07:59 AM

How old are you kiddos? I have a nearly 14 year old son and he helped out A LOT with the lifting of things. I vote for anything they can grab themselves for juices (boxes or Capri suns)...and snacks(granola bars, fruit snacks, premade cookies. I fixed a large pan of lasagna, huge crock pot of sloppy joe...umm..bought LOTS of frozen pizzas(I know it bothers me..but the kids loved it) and corn dogs..things like that. They reheated the things I fixed and hubby handled the other things and fixed simple meals like hamburger helper, tacos, etc. We had about one week where people dropped off casseroles and meatloafs and cookies. I got Steam Fresh Veggies from Birdseye. Pop 'em in the microwave for 5 mins and you get very lovely tasting veggies w/ no mess. By the end of the second week, I was fixing simple meals again.

As far as stool softeners, I took the prescription ones they gave me until I ran out and then got Phillip's Stool Softener. It worked fine. I suggest you eat plenty of raw veggies and fruits. Drink LOTS of water and my doc suggested I drank cranberry juice the first few weeks to help prevent UTI. Don't eat anything too spicy for the first few weeks. Your bowels will thank you!
Unread 11-09-2006, 09:51 AM

I loved my grabber for things that I dropped on the floor. Keep some prune juice and lots of water handy. My personal preference on stool softeners (which are my new best friends) is Colace. I also recommend keeping some cash on hand so that if a friend or neighbor is going to the store, they can pick up little things like milk or bread for you.

carrie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-09-2006, 11:03 AM

One suggestion I have is if you use gallon jugs (milk, tea, whatever) switch to half gallon. I never realized how heavy a full gallon is. Too heavy for post surgery.

I had LSH surgery, too (Oct. 2) I didn't think I would need much in the way of bandaging, but I needed to keep two of the incisions covered as they were 'weepy' and sore.
Unread 11-09-2006, 11:07 AM

Hi Svice!

You can find dozens and dozens of helpful suggestions shared by members of Hystersisters.com here:

Hints For Your Hysterectomy

I hope you have a successful surgery and uneventful recovery!

Many s to you,
Unread 11-09-2006, 11:40 AM

1 or 2 pretty and silky nightgown might be nice. They make sliding in and out of bed easy and also make you feel pretty and if you are not bleeding you don't have to wear underwear underneath. I also got progresso soup for me just open the can - pour into a bowl and heat, easy for when you are alone. I got little apple sauses, little fruit cocktails and some ensure drinks. I don't have a bid appetite after surgery so that was plenty for me. I stocked up on frozen waffles for breakfast, lunchmeat, made meatloaf, spaghetti sauce, sloppy joe, taco fixings a texmex dish I make, for the rest of the family and my 29 year old goes out for pizza or quiznos or wendys or something else if they don't feel like something I have pre prepared for them. go figure.
Unread 11-09-2006, 12:00 PM

I got lots of those Hormel microwave dinners as they don't require refrigeration and our freezer space is limited. I also stocked up on snack sized jello, pudding and applesauce as well as 20oz bottles of water, tea and juice. It helped immensely for preparing quick and easy meals.
As for stool softeners I got the walmart brand of Colace. They work the same as what I was given in the hospital. GasX is also a must for the gas afterwards. I still use it some at almost 5 weeks out. I am still using the stool softeners occasionally as well.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register