Tried going w/o pain meds.. didn't work | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Tried going w/o pain meds.. didn't work Tried going w/o pain meds.. didn't work

Unread 02-03-2007, 08:45 PM
Tried going w/o pain meds.. didn't work

I was reading where others that had surgery dates around mine were starting to w/o pain meds, so I thought I would try it today. Well, about an hour ago, I'd had enough. My tummy and back were hurting so bad I couldn't take it anymore. Not to mention, they suspect I may have fibromyalgia (ins. won't cover the tests needed to find out), so I don't know if that's flared up or what, but I am just hurting all over really bad. I can't find a comfortable position to be in.. laying or sitting.

As long as I was taking the pain meds, I wasn't feeling too bad. But I didn't take them as much yesterday and didn't take them today until about an hour ago. And now I am feeling like somebody has used me as a punching bag. I'm at home alone w/ my kids and I cannot wait until my almost 3yo goes to bed, so I can go, too. My dh is at work and won't be home until late tonight.

The other thing with taking the pain meds is that they're giving me some horrible dreams. I have a lot of bad dreams anyway, but they've just been really bad w/ the pain meds (I've been told they can cause that).

Is it normal to still be needing the pain meds this long out?

Jen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-03-2007, 09:04 PM

If it makes you feel any better, I still take my Lortab in the evening because after being up all day, my belly starts to hurt.

I'm not doing anything I shouldn't. I'm doing the laundry with assistance..I'm not lifting the baskets or carrying the loads or anything. I'm doing dinner a couple nights a week. I even dusted a bit yesterday.

I'm slowly getting back to my usual routines, but I don't think I'm overdoing it. I can't sit all day and the doctor certainly doesn't want me to, I know that.

I think it just takes time to heal and I don't see anything wrong with using the meds when you need to. I even take Tylenol X-Strength during the day anyway.

I could go without the meds, but I figure why should I? So don't feel bad, you're not alone. Unless you and I are the only ones!

Oh, and the dreams, yes!! My hubby has to wake me up because I'm crying and sobbing from nightmares I have. Sure does some weird things to your brain, doesn't it?
Unread 02-03-2007, 09:11 PM

Oh, I am so glad I'm not alone! I think I have been overdoing it. I feel guilty when I just lay around and don't do anything. After my last surgery, I found out that my in-law's were bad mouthing me, saying that I was just sitting around on my butt, eating all the time, when my dh had to do everything around the house. Which is almost funny, because my dh didn't do anything and we would've gone without food a few times if I hadn't gotten up and made some cereal. I was on crutches, and I was still hobbling and doing to laundry, etc. So, now I feel bad by not doing anything, especially since my legs are working. And I think I sometimes forget, since I had a TVH and don't have any external stitches that I do still have them on the inside and need to take it easy.

Jen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-03-2007, 09:13 PM

Other womens experiences are great to use as a guide but we are all unique with individual needs. Pain slows down our healing process.

Take your pills as you need them, keep your dr advised of your concerns if they arise and look to the future. The first couple weeks can be very good day/not so good day back and forth. Have a plan in your head of what you expect your recovery will be but ofcourse adjust as needed and do not see those adjustments as weakness or failure but as the customization the the plan as it is.

Lastly, one thing to consider about the dreams. They could be tied to your mind absorbing the surgery trauma and not the pills themselves.

Julie.
Unread 02-03-2007, 09:18 PM

Ya know, I think it's just in our nature to start doing things if you feel pretty good. My boys are both in their early 20's so I don't have to deal with taking care of little ones...other than my puppy, but that's another story!

I think tonight I kind of overdid it though, I really had to sit down and put my feet up..yet I don't know what it is I overdid. Maybe just walking around too much w/o taking a break.

Even after shopping with my husband for an hour or so, my belly starts to hurt. I guess we just have to listen to our bodies and rest when it tells us to.
Unread 02-03-2007, 09:45 PM

I'm still on pain meds at over 3 weeks. I take 800mg ibuprofen 3x's a day and Darvocet at night and sometimes I will take an Ambien to help me sleep.
Unread 02-04-2007, 07:22 PM

I had my TAH BSO on January 24. The 29th of January was the last time I took a prescription pain pill. I read that some took Aleve, so I tried that and it worked great. I did take that for about three days. Now I only take something when I need it, which isn't often. I have gotten a few really bad headaches, so I take something for that. I only have continuing gas pains, though they usually go away within a few minutes. Usually it's a sign that I have to go to the bathroom. I have been really fortunate with this surgery. I do get really tired if I overdue it, not enough to want a nap. I've had no naps since I got home from the castle. I am getting bored by just sitting around the house. I have my two week post-op to remove my drainage tube and hopefully my gyno will release me to drive. I hope you will soon be able to get off your meds, try Aleve and see if it works for you.
Unread 02-04-2007, 08:35 PM

Hi, I hope you can let go of what the in-laws are saying! You are the only one who knows what you can comfortably do. It won't do you or anyone else good to try to do so much. YOu deserve to focus on your healing!
Unread 02-04-2007, 08:44 PM

miracle 31, I had my LAVH 3 days before you and have been trying to let go of the pain meds for several days and always end up feeling bad enough to have to take more than the recommended dose to relieve the pain. You,re not alone.
Unread 02-05-2007, 02:34 AM

jen,

I had my surgery one week before yours and today is the first day that I have made it through without taking pain meds. I have a high tolerance for pain to the point that I have allowed dentists to finishing drilling a tooth because they weren't sucessful in getting it numb after numerous attempts.

Like another poster stated everyone is different. so this isn't a one size fits all situation. I actually had another MD accuse me of being addicted to pain meds because I am still taking the ones that my OB perscribed. I called my OB/Gyn's office in tears and manged to talk to one of the midwives, she thought that the other MD needed a brain scan to see if he had one.

She was furious to think that he would even say that. Some men speak, then think; then there are some men that don't think at all.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register